What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

315w CMH Lighting

Puroresu

Hey fellas,
wondering what people their experience is with CMH lighting.
I've grown with 400w HPS before but my ballast needs replacing,
considering switching to CMH and possibly supplementing it with some CLF or LED lighting..
Anyway, tried finding grow logs on google of CMH grows and I couldn't find much. Hope someone will be able to chime in with their results..

R

Rab.C

Hey fellas,
wondering what people their experience is with CMH lighting.
I've grown with 400w HPS before but my ballast needs replacing,
considering switching to CMH and possibly supplementing it with some CLF or LED lighting..
Anyway, tried finding grow logs on google of CMH grows and I couldn't find much. Hope someone will be able to chime in with their results..

get an adjustAwing 315 cmh great company and there reflectors are great

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
DO NOT use yesterday's technology. LED is the only way to go. Support some of the advertisers here.

I will go ahead and disagree with you.

LEDs don't penetrate as deeply into the canopy as CMH or even HPS do. Some training of the plant is required to use LEDs to their full potential. Not so good for people trying to grow trees indoors.

IMO, a mixture of CMH and COB LEDs are a perfect combo for full spectrum lighting.

Puroresu

Thanks for the reply but not exactly helpful? :/
I do reckon most people are still using MH/HPS.
LED don't spark my interest yet personally; maybe in the future but currently it's too expensive for the lights I would want.
CMH however seems interesting, wonder how it'll compare to HPS.
I can legally keep one plant, seems like the perfect light for it.
The info I can find seems very positive but not many people posting their grows..

R

Rab.C

Thanks for the reply but not exactly helpful? :/
I do reckon most people are still using MH/HPS.
LED don't spark my interest yet personally; maybe in the future but currently it's too expensive for the lights I would want.
CMH however seems interesting, wonder how it'll compare to HPS.
I can legally keep one plant, seems like the perfect light for it.
The info I can find seems very positive but not many people posting their grows..

Sorry i cant help you with results because this is my first run.with
cmh315

contact Dank Frank he use's 2 x 315cmh and gets 20oz now thats a result & great looking buds too

SuperBadGrower

My last run with 315 in 3x3 yielded 500g+ (I stopped weighing there). I think it's the best light source in the world in the cold months, it heats up the leaf temperature and the room perfectly. However in summer I'm running into problems that would require an AC for me. If you open a tent with CMH you will see the most beautiful spectrum that I've never seen from LEDs. But the leds are obviously better at delivering even light across the canopy. My last run with 1x315 in 3x3 yielded over 500g. I have some pictures in my album, but there's really nothing special to see. CMH is great growing technology.

Another downside is the bulbs... where I am, price per watt is about equal for a CMH consumer fixture and LED DIY. So after the first bulb replacement, the CMH is already more expensive than LED.

9 1/2

I had 5 315 cmh air cooled in my mother room the lights grew great mother plants...they are very bright ...I'm sure they will produce great nugs and I loved the spectrum

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Another downside is the bulbs... where I am, price per watt is about equal for a CMH consumer fixture and LED DIY. So after the first bulb replacement, the CMH is already more expensive than LED.

i use 2 315's in a 4x3.5ft tent... imo that is not enough light- grew 6plants, and getting 2oz's per plant- not a great production- HOWEVER the 2 cmh's complete were 360bucks (180per) - i doubt u can get get similar light production from an led unless u spend 3 or 4x's the $360.. n i purchased 2 phillips argo bulbs for 49bucks each - i think the bulbs cost more now (bought em 6mos ago) but i am sure i will get at least 3grows from em, and it would take years to add up what 1 'good' led costs-

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
i use 2 315's in a 4x3.5ft tent... imo that is not enough light- grew 6plants, and getting 2oz's per plant- not a great production- HOWEVER the 2 cmh's complete were 360bucks (180per) - i doubt u can get get similar light production from an led unless u spend 3 or 4x's the $360.. n i purchased 2 phillips argo bulbs for 49bucks each - i think the bulbs cost more now (bought em 6mos ago) but i am sure i will get at least 3grows from em, and it would take years to add up what 1 'good' led costs-
I'm finding better production by keeping them 20"-24" from plant tops (4plants). Closer, I was getting slower growth. I'm in a 4'x4' tent and also running them hotter than usual, 82F lights on, 75F lights off, RH 60% high to 49% low.. allot of early trimming (up to week 3 of bloom).

EDIT: my bulbs cost $139 phillips.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I run 2 x 315 and I'm more than impressed with the lighting. If your only comparing to an old 400w HPS, then it's no contest. The 315w legitimately blows it out of the water.

I went with Grower's Choice for my lamps and am glad I went that route. If I was running multiple lights in sequence or in a grid, I'd be using the Cycloptics reflector hood and nothing else - but for my small space and limited height scenario, the Growers Choice all in one units were a perfect solution.

dank.Frank