What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

morocco,the rif mountains 2009

picture.php

joaquin386

I was recently in morroco (motorbike trip) and we stop in Xauen (XinChauen). I have to say I was impress how openly the offer any smokes. But really either you know somebody there or they will give you even 4th grade smokes.

S

spliphy

interesting anthropological/cultural window

interesting anthropological/cultural window

Not much has changed since 1970 when I was first up in the mountains making hash, sure they make 1,000 times as much as they did back then, but the quality in general is worse, the plants are much worse, mostly small and grown in very poor soil with artificial fertilizers and very little water. It is the nature of the industry that if a Moroccan farmer has a plant that makes more resin then normal, like imported seeds, they just make all that much more diluted hash, they don't want to make stronger hash, they want more hash, they make a lot more money selling lots of 3rd quality, rather then a smaller amount of super first quality. The farmers are poor how can you blame them? They want to maximize profit not quality, it is the nature of the industry.
When I was there in the 1980's me and Rob Clarke made resin from 100 kilos of dried plants (super high quality local Moroccan), we first manicured and separated all the leaves (maybe 25 kg), then removed all the sticks and seeds (another maybe 40 Kg), them made hash by gently shaking the 25-35 Kg clean flowers over a screen, we got 150 grams of resin that melted and almost bubbled, the best Moroccan I have ever seen, the farmers all agreed it was the best they ever saw, pulled like gum. Not one farmer was interested in making it as they normally get 10-20 kilos of "00" hash, their best from 100 Kg plants. While I understand why they do what they do, I can't stand resin with dirt, dust, plant debris, or any other impurity. It is an art to me not a business, they are not in the same world as me, I understand, but I don't like what they make, it is all about money not making the best...

-SamS

thanks for this report Sam...adds insight:joint:

B

B. Self Reliant

What an incredible trip! Do you speak any of their language? How did you first get connected with people there? Did someone you know go there an then you followed, or did you just up and go on your own?

I went to malawi last year on a whim, and it was great, but it was also pretty crazy at times. Didn't speak the language, didn't know anyone, didn't have a lot of cash, etc. Just kinda did it. it was a great experience but I certainly didn't get to experience as much as I would of had I had some sort of connection or local guide.

Thanks for sharing your trip and the images you took. Good stuff!

S

spliphy

Malawi trip report, B. Self Reliant

Malawi trip report, B. Self Reliant

I went to malawi last year on a whim, and it was great, but it was also pretty crazy at times. Didn't speak the language, didn't know anyone, didn't have a lot of cash, etc. Just kinda did it. it was a great experience but I certainly didn't get to experience as much as I would of had I had some sort of connection or local guide.

Hey B. Self Reliant, hope you are well,

very interesting for many to hear first-hand accounts of traveling experiences...Could you please start a thread or post your experience in the "Variances of Malawi Gold" thread...there are some accounts already (experiences) for you to savor as well:joint:

hom

Veteran
Chefchaouen is a hashish enthusiasts paradise. I have been a few times and always stay with a mate who has a place 10 minutes walk from the medina(town centre). On all my travels he has hooked me up with the finest quality the mountains have to offer. Many trips have I made from Chaouen up into the cannabis heartlands, and can honestly say that the variety and abundance on offer is amazing. last time I visited we were offered about 30-40 different types of hashish over an 8 hour smoking session with the farmers. From the different qualities he had to stuff his mother was growing a few fields away and then I reckon just about every local who was growing within a million mile radius also showed up with samples. We ended up with some really fine true moroccan bubbly hash. 100 grams for 110 euro methinks... Seemingly, to aquire the finest hashish on offer you have to be prepared to spend 2-3 days smoking and living with the farmers while all the time asking for better stuff... Blatently lying and pretending your still not as stoned as you could be...lol. These experiences, for me have been truly amazing. The locals warmth, friendliness and generosity is an experience in itself. Would definately recommend Chefchaouen for anyone serious about smoking some of the worlds finest cannabis resin. Also, for anyone worried about travelling there as a foreigner....Dont. Safe as walking through Bundoran.

Hello b self reliant no i dont speak arabic but i know some basic words which goes a long way and shows ur at least trying.Yes some people i know are living in the mountains with a moroccan family and they are very well looked after because they bring a lot of money to the village as well as medical supplys and stuff from europe u cant get in morocco they also bring the kids footballs and books so there well respected in the mountains. THE LOCALS WARMTH,FRIENDLINESS AND GENEROSITY IS AN EXPERIENCE IN IT SELF. hey hom those words are so true and thanks for your input on the subject RESIN SEEKER

W

WeldFlash420

Very nice thread, and a real treat to follow you along here....peace and shine on...

Thanks for the kind words weldflash420.My friend plays the hang drum(cheak it out on utube)so everynite we would lite a fire sit round it smoking the hash and listening to the music and eating tangine under the stars i must say it was the best time of my life a very spiritual feeling.

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
is that for the whole appartment mate? or is that per head?

loving your journal, I've already priced tickets for next year... I'm inspired mate)

cheers
j :)

hash demo

hash demo

Was walking into chefchaouen from the mountain and bumped into these two guys doing a demonstration for a some spanish and they called me over and and tell me to sit and watch and take pics if i wanted.I asked did they want there faces kept out of the pics but they said"FUCK NO MY FRIEND SNAP AWAY".I tried to tell them it would be better to leave there faces out but they didnt listen and the spanish were taking pics like crazy so i stared snpping away
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Some costs to give people a rough idea of what it cost me to get there my flight to malaga was £80.From the airport to the bus station cost 1.10 euro from the bus staion to algerciras was 11 euro the boat from algerciras to tangier was 30-35 euroFrom tangier a taxi cost 50 euros to chefchaouen

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
I've been looking at flights from NL.. folks might be interested to know that you can fly to marrakesh for 125 euros return (thats next march) from Amsterdam... of course, I've no idea how much it would cost to travel from marrakesh, any ideas on that, Resin?