What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Growing Herb in Maine.

Mr.Galikanokus

What's up in maine nowadays? Besides for the last two posts the rest was from 2007. I was reading you can have 6 plants per person. Is there a limit to how many people you can grow for? Any other info that should be updated?

Mr Blah

What's up in maine nowadays? Besides for the last two posts the rest was from 2007. I was reading you can have 6 plants per person. Is there a limit to how many people you can grow for? Any other info that should be updated?
You can grow for 5 pt's + yourself so 6 people. 6 plants pr/person = 36 plants. 12/pr vegging plants pr/person and endless amount of clones. (that don't exceed 12" tall and 12" wide)

Don't think on coming up/down to ME and growing commercially unless it is voted NO in Nov. The new writing states (if it passes) that about 100 or so Caregivers out of 2700+- will be allowed to grow commercially in 3000sqft or less. and only a lucky few (12) will be allowed 30000sqft of canopy. Which will be more than likely owned by out of state corps. It's all in the wording and Maine found out a few people sold out Maine to big out of state money.

So Vote NO Main'erds in Nov and than when it doesn't pass you out of state people move up/down here and start growing in the state with the best medical program in the country.....the way it is right now.

KONY

Veteran
You can grow for 5 pt's + yourself so 6 people. 6 plants pr/person = 36 plants. 12/pr vegging plants pr/person and endless amount of clones. (that don't exceed 12" tall and 12" wide)

Don't think on coming up/down to ME and growing commercially unless it is voted NO in Nov. The new writing states (if it passes) that about 100 or so Caregivers out of 2700+- will be allowed to grow commercially in 3000sqft or less. and only a lucky few (12) will be allowed 30000sqft of canopy. Which will be more than likely owned by out of state corps. It's all in the wording and Maine found out a few people sold out Maine to big out of state money.

So Vote NO Main'erds in Nov and than when it doesn't pass you out of state people move up/down here and start growing in the state with the best medical program in the country.....the way it is right now.

Well said about November. However I think you are smoking crack if you think ME has the best medical program. Have you seen any of the states out west?? Maybe you meant best on the east coast, if so I agree.... but ME limited to 6 flowering plants per patient. That is bullshit and severely restrictive. The other numbers are good, minus the only 2.5oz of dried, ready to go flowers per patient.

Also you have to make it very obvious outside if you want to grow, gaining +10000 points of attention to your house/greenhouse that doesnt stop anyone from stealing anything.

RoostaPhish

Veteran
It doesn't state anywhere that 100 "caregivers" will be given licenses. It actually doesn't state a number and estimates roughly 120 something. That will be given to anyone deemed qualified. Not just caregivers. And again the medical program will not be effected. This is the exact wording from the initiative.

It does not affect it at all. See language below:

2454. Construction
2455. Relation to the Maine Medical Use of Marijuana Act. This chapter may not be construed to limit any privileges or rights of a qualifying patient, primary caregiver, registered or otherwise, or registered dispensary under the Maine Medical Use of Marijuana Act.

This fella Mr. Blah needs to do his fucking homework. Every time he talks about this subject it is clear he hasn't researched the bill. He is just blindly against it.

RoostaPhish

Veteran
It should also be noted yet again that the personal possession/plant limits for the rec bill mirror the current medical limits exactly.

Mr Blah

Oh ya, only on the East Coast.......They just made it that much harder in WA. For medical. ALSO THAT STATE SAID THEY WOULDN'T TOUCH MEDICAL.

Wow.....can you guys look beyond? and see what will and is going to happen to ME if this passes? Look outside the box....just once.

You say they wont touch medical...really?
Why are capping the amount that we can grow?
Why would they put a 800,000sqft canopy cap if so lucky to get a commercial lic. CONTROL.

Why not vote no in Nov and expand our medical program.

Hey,...whatever!! You want to pay 3-400 an once.... that's your thing.
The patients I donate to will be hit the hardest....You think big money (Wally Weed) will donate meds to people and front people what they need?

Like I said....Look outside your little box.

RoostaPhish

Veteran
Well I have no idea what the wording of the bill was in WA regarding the continuation of the medical program. But I was never for the bill in WA. But in CO and OR as far as I know it wasn't affected that much. My little box isn't so little. Primarily because I feel ALL adults should be able to use/grow cannabis. Expansion of the medical program only helps medical patients. Which is great, I have a serious medical condition. But far from includes the masses. I know a shit ton of caregivers, and most are truly far from the namesake. Most use the title to make money and nothing more.

KONY

Veteran
It doesn't state anywhere that 100 "caregivers" will be given licenses. It actually doesn't state a number and estimates roughly 120 something. That will be given to anyone deemed qualified. Not just caregivers. And again the medical program will not be effected. This is the exact wording from the initiative.

It states very clearly the total canopy space will be 800k sq ft. 60% to bigger grows, and 40% to smaller. This is a huge problem and the main reason I will be voting no. This will mean less than 150 licenses total. Only the people with money from the start are going to be able to get licenses. People that just want to grow small scale commercially will be left to the dust. Just like the medical dispensary system.

It's literally a class E crime to grow a few plants here with no medical card, a class D crime to grow up too 99. This is cannabis fantasy land. With the new bill, our existing laws/penalties could be much stiffer, and we face possible felony charges if caught growing without the governments permission/permits/etc. Fuck that.

Right now, no one goes to jail for growing cannabis, even larger amounts unless there are some other circumstances to the bust.

Mr Blah

It states very clearly the total canopy space will be 800k sq ft. 60% to bigger grows, and 40% to smaller. This is a huge problem and the main reason I will be voting no. This will mean less than 150 licenses total. Only the people with money from the start are going to be able to get licenses. People that just want to grow small scale commercially will be left to the dust. Just like the medical dispensary system.

It's literally a class E crime to grow a few plants here with no medical card, a class D crime to grow up too 99. This is cannabis fantasy land. With the new bill, our existing laws/penalties could be much stiffer, and we face possible felony charges if caught growing without the governments permission/permits/etc. Fuck that.

Right now, no one goes to jail for growing cannabis, even larger amounts unless there are some other circumstances to the bust.

Finally someone gets what I am trying to say.......:thank you:

Only need the rest of the state to vote NO also.....I want what is best for Maine. Big biz get the fluck out and let the mom and pops and other Maine citizens to prosper in this industry. In small scale.

I do depend on sales for my income and that's ONE of the reasons for what I preach. The other is for the right of Maine citizens to be able to grow and medicate as they see fit. Not to be criminalized for it.
The more I make/grow the more I give......dought the big corps will do that. If they got there grubby little hands in there.

RoostaPhish

Veteran
Again 150 is more than 8. Big biz already has a strangle on the commercial grows here. 36 plants is far from a commercial size, so caregivers here definitely are not commercial level. So the number of folks able to grow on a commercial level right now is 8, how is 150 worse than 8? KONY I was just saying it never said 100 "caregivers", Blah kept referring to 100 caregivers getting licenses. And I am very familiar with the penalties here for growing without a card. However it doesn't always go the way you think it does. I would rather have a bill that allows personal cultivation, and a bill that for now at least protects the mmj model, then to end up with a bill down the road that doesn't. You guys are always concerned with what might happen. Well what if that does? And it isn't something that you can vote on? Which has happened in other states. I've expressed my opinion on this matter enough now, and will attempt to refrain from any further.

Muleskinner

Veteran
these referendums are all tough decisions IMO. I think in Maine and Mass. the approval level is so high it won't matter if cannabis growers vote against it, it's going to pass.

The AUMA referendum in California is such a total dog that I think it will fail. CA has a high Latino population and they vote against MJ reform too. But this Maine law is going to be great for John Q. Homegrower - 6 flowering plants as big as you want, per person, and basically unlimited veg plants. No fees, no registration, no nothing. Mass. will be almost as good with 12 plants of any size decriminalized (I doubt they'll bust people for additional seedlings).

However both Mass. and Maine laws this fall are designed to hook up a small number of current dispensary owners (the out-of-staters). They both include Soviet Communist-like statewide caps on cannabis production. It's designed to hand a production monopoly to a handful of financial supporters. That's how they get enough cash to collect the sigs.

The good thing about Maine is that the existing medical industry has an excellent working relationship with the state legislature. The state has passed bills that help the industry for 6-7 years in a row. I think the state legislature will eventually help loosen the restrictions and caps on the number of commercial growers. I think they'll help protect the 2,700 caregivers too.

In Washington the legislature immediately killed the medical law after the referendum passed. That referendum did not allow home growing though. the horse will be out of the barn in Maine and Mass with the home growing. If the greedy state wants to restrict or drive up the price of herb too much people will just stop buying it and they'll get no tax revenue.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
...So from what I'm gathering the new legislation will be handing a few (already rich) cocksuckers big sweet monopolies that are basically in the form of gov contracts (i.e. only so many licensed growers allowed, already determined).

That seems like a shitty commercial system.

BUT I'm also getting the drift that everyone will be allowed 6 flowering plants and the med program will remain untouched. But perhaps current caregivers will lose customers to the dispensaries? I kinda doubt it, but maybe.

My thought process is: if it passes, are mom & pop more or less condemned to the black market? But with shit changing in Mass as well, could the black market suffer as well?

Talk about a sticky situation.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Again, I don't know enough to say I'm for or against the bill, but 36 plants seems like enough to me...

If you get 2lbs per plant that's 72lbs. That's a nice income per year.

I am a legal maine mmj patient.. the caregivers here don't want legalization because it will end their monopoly on sales and thus hurt their sales..
the guy I deal with has never liked any of the legalization talk, lots of bs about how this will only help big business...his goal is to keep me coming to him,,

Maine is 2 different states.. the SE coast ( maine- achusettes) AND the rest of the state..very different dynamics

short growing season outdoors... you will be harvesting before October unless you have a greenhouse.. the 40 degree nights in the beginning of October just slow down ripening too much..

tis a nice place to live..

Muleskinner

Veteran
FYI the language of the referendum was actually written by the lobbyist and others that work directly for the caregivers' association in Maine. MPP tried to run an alternate law that didn't get enough support so they joined with the caregivers' project.

Last edited:

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
FYI the language of the referendum was actually written by the lobbyist and others that work directly for the caregivers' association in Maine. MPP tried to run an alternate law that didn't get enough support so the joined with the caregivers' project.

Caregivers as mom & pop with 36 in the backyard or caregivers as the big corporate folks that supply dispensaries?

RoostaPhish

Veteran
The dispensaries here must grow their own. They are not supplied by anyone else. So they wouldn't be the caregivers referred to. They have no reason to support this actually, seeing as they have a strangle hold on the over the counter system here. For them it would mean more competition.

Mr Blah

...So from what I'm gathering the new legislation will be handing a few (already rich) cocksuckers big sweet monopolies that are basically in the form of gov contracts (i.e. only so many licensed growers allowed, already determined).
^^^^YUP^^^^^
That seems like a shitty commercial system.
VVVVVYa the Med program will remain just like it did in WA..VVVVVVv
BUT I'm also getting the drift that everyone will be allowed 6 flowering plants and the med program will remain untouched. But perhaps current caregivers will lose customers to the dispensaries? I kinda doubt it, but maybe.

My thought process is: if it passes, are mom & pop more or less condemned to the black market? But with shit changing in Mass as well, could the black market suffer as well?

Talk about a sticky situation.

Vote NO and end it...put it to rest till a later date.
Ya and Roostaphish; this is my income so it is about money.
JUst want a fighting chance in legal market and with a yes vote, it is guaranteed that a lot of us will shift underground.

Muleskinner

Veteran
I'm sure the caregivers that think they'll be granted one of the limited producer licenses are in support of the law ($$), smaller ones will not like it - they'll have to cross their fingers and hope the state continues the medical law.

The law would be OK if not for caps on the number of producer and retail entities. No such cap exists for alcohol, tobacco, and pharmacies, we should never accept one for cannabis. It will continue the black market. Whoever has the most investor money will just bribe and buy their way into a producer or retailer license.

Still, I would vote yes. if the refendum passes, existing caregivers can go directly to the legislature and push to remove the caps. The legislature has been friendly to them in the past - big time. The legislature has nothing to do with the language of the referendum, they can take out the red pen in 2017 and do whatever they want to the law.