What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Keeping unrooted clones in cold storage

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
THIS IS COPIED FROM ANOTHER FORUM NOT MY IDEA OR MY WORK BUT WORKS WELL... WISH I COULD POST THE LINK TO SHOW YOU GUYS.. ONGOING SINCE 2015.. TRIALED TESTED AND PROVEN.. GREAT WORK BY ANOTHER BROTHER OR TWO VERY SUPRISED ITS NOT ON HERE BUT IT IS NOW IT WILL HELP A LOT ..:tiphat::tiphat:

I thought I'd post this as I never see it mentioned and I believe it to be an invaluable tip.

U can keep unrooted clones in the fridge for up to a few months and then root them as and when u need them.

This is great for mother selection as u can keep all the clones that correspond to the seed plants ur growing out until u find ur keepers that way u dont have unnecessarily high plant numbers while ur doing mum selection

Its also really handy if u have an inspection or work done on ur house or if ur moving house and dont want to be travelling or stinking ur house out with a load of mums.

U can take clones off all of ur mother plants then discard ur mothers then when u get to ur New place or the inspection or work is over u can simply root some cuts for ur next grow and to remake ur prized mother plants.

Its unbelievably simple , all I do is mist the inside of a sandwich bag , be sure to label the bags so u know whats what. Then take it clones leaving a longer stem than u would normally and theres no need to trim all the leaves off . Place ur extra long clones into the moist sandwich bag and place the bag in the crisper draw in ur fridge.

When it ready to root them just take them out the bag, trim up the stem and leaves like u would normally and place it in ur chosen rooting medium I.e, soil, jiffys , riots, etc. And place in the prop.

Its as simple as that.

Hopefully this helps someone as it has helped me greatly in the past.

Happy growing peeps

Nexus7

Thanks for the info. Sounds promising.

Anyone had any luck doing this to cuttings of plants already in flower?

So I take it I'd close the little vent (high humidity setting) on my veggie crisper too?

Gracias,

N7

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This works as long as your refrigerator is in good operating condition.
Frozen cuts won’t clone & my current refrigerator freezes everything in the crisper drawers.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
You need to keep them in a cup of water in the fridge and change the water every few days. They keep for at least six weeks. I have done that and rooted them fine. Comes in handy when keeping clones and flowering mom's or dads to find a keeper.

Any branches with multiple cut potential. I mist with Ph water and bag into fridge like neglected romiane, I've snipped and dipped from it 2-3 weeks later and treated like norml, success possible

Tony21

This is very cool info, chilled but not frosty lol.

Got some misty bags of monster cropped Amnesia and GG clones in the fridge, at 4 C, I've no doubt most will root in 2 months time but allowing for a 50% success rate.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
So there is the answer. The light really does stay on when you close the fridge door.

Joking aside, I would of never expected that. I can't keep any other greens in good condition that long.

Just checking this wasn't posted in April.. Nope. It's real

So just a domestic fridge. No interest in the door opening and closing. Little talk of keeping the stem in fluid. Yet infinitely better survival rate than any of my salad items. And not April 1st.

Only one poster confirming they have tried it though. Any more?

The legal technically of them not being plants makes this very interesting

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
I have witnessed it done with success on several different occasions.

It's most definitely doable. but I've never attempted it myself.

RMS

:smoweed:

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So there is the answer. The light really does stay on when you close the fridge door.

Joking aside, I would of never expected that. I can't keep any other greens in good condition that long.

Just checking this wasn't posted in April.. Nope. It's real

So just a domestic fridge. No interest in the door opening and closing. Little talk of keeping the stem in fluid. Yet infinitely better survival rate than any of my salad items. And not April 1st.

Only one poster confirming they have tried it though. Any more?

The legal technically of them not being plants makes this very interesting

Tried and tested by a lot of growers including myself we live and learn my friend 6 weeks is the most ive done,. So with these photos I will try longer as these are now fridged up and waiting till February normally they would go in my worm fridge in shed but thats full.. So hope the wife understands . PS . These are all topdawg stardawgs. Manny Illuminate and purple.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Last edited:

Ktaadn

I can also confirm this method works. I had success keeping cuts up to 6 weeks in Ziploc bags with just a breath into the bag now and then to maintain moisture. You don't want them to be wet but they can dry out eventually if you don't add some moisture. If I remember right they started to get floppy and harder to root after about 6 weeks. I haven't tried the cups of water method - seems like they might keep longer that way.

Tangwena

Veteran
I had some branches of a tree called Khat a shopping bag full given to me by a friend.
I kept them in the veggy crisper for 6 weeks chewing on them now and then.
after 6 weeks they were still ok so I just stuck some into potting mix outside and lo and behold they all rooted!
If it works on Khat I see no reason why it will not work on Cannabis.
I will def give it a go while I'm away over Christmas and see how it goes you live and learn indeed.

Douwe Egbert

Autoflower Breeding (Selfing) Potential?

Autoflower Breeding (Selfing) Potential?

Hi Folks,

I have absolutely no experience with this technique and a comparable lack of knowledge with regard to Autos or breeding but...I cant help wondering whether this clone "stasis" would give opportunity and time to reverse an Auto with colloidal silver etc and then self-fertilise a chilling clone:thinking:? Maybe useful too with photos.

Any thoughts?

Rico Swazi

cutting is in stasis with no roots

Highly unlikely reversal could or would happen under those conditions
but stranger things have happened and I enjoy being enlightened so give it a go and let us know with pics of course

Edit- the confusion I have is in this - [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] self-fertilise a chilling clone
thinking.gif

[/FONT]
not sure how a clone in stasis can be selfed is all
looking to learn something here

Last edited:

Hookahhead

I am not sure how cloning works on Autos. If they root you’re likely to end up with something that looks like you just threw a new clone into flower SOG style. However, you bring up a very valid point. If you can put the cutting into stasis for 6-8 weeks, that is long enough that the parent plant should be finished or very close. Then you can revive the clone and reverse it or hit it with pollen you’ve already collected.

Ktaadn

Hi Folks,

I have absolutely no experience with this technique and a comparable lack of knowledge with regard to Autos or breeding but...I cant help wondering whether this clone "stasis" would give opportunity and time to reverse an Auto with colloidal silver etc and then self-fertilise a chilling clone:thinking:? Maybe useful too with photos.

Any thoughts?

While I don't have experience with true autoflowers, I have experimented with trying to clone photosensitive varieties and they would generally make roots and then stall out. Getting any veg growth or even any substantial flower growth was very difficult.

I wouldn't count on being able to produce many quality seeds with a true autoflower using that method. Maybe not impossible but not very likely.

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Added a few more cuts chopped off mothers straight in to fridge no messing about dampen bag and let them sleep,, obviously dated,, Will take more cuts within next two weeks as back ups then left till I return then we shall see if the first cuts root as quick as the others easy as that.:biggrin:

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Douwe Egbert

cutting is in stasis with no roots

Highly unlikely reversal could or would happen under those conditions
but stranger things have happened and I enjoy being enlightened so give it a go and let us know with pics of course

Edit- the confusion I have is in this - [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] self-fertilise a chilling cloneView Image
[/FONT]
not sure how a clone in stasis can be selfed is all
looking to learn something here
Sorry for my lack of clarity,

I meant taking cuttings from an auto which are then put in fridge stasis. These clones are then selfed when pollen is available from the original plant treated with colloidal silver.

As I said, just a thought exercise. I doubt I would get a flight plan logged for that flight of fantasy - the Dr Frankenstein stuff will have to wait!. Thanks all for sharing your interest and experience with the notion.

Sufice

Latest posts

Latest posts