What's new

Continued physical vibration...Effects on plant growth and performance

Hy everybody

For some time already I feel disturbed by an occurance in my room. My watering is executed trough a high pressure (3 bar) water pump and from there i goes trough the PE-hose and drippers that you can buy in every grow shop. The PE-hose is tied to the tables, on which the pots are standing. I use a watering controller that allows me to water the plants only for a short time each 12h lights on, but 19 times every 12h lights on.

Because the hose is mounted to the tables (and it would be quiet a lot of work to change that), each of the 19 times the pump turns on each 12h lights on, a shock of the presure from the pump transmits to the tables and from there to the plants. For a second, the whole plants are shaking.

Did anybody here experince the same and observe particular effects on the growth and yield performance of the plants?

Thanks for sharing any knowledge

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
years ago in my living room i had jasmine plants growing... they r vines n need support- well i would zig-zag them on my walls around the speakers... . my music of choice is 60's n 70's heavy metal, n these plants grew like they were on steroids.... i was told that plants respond to music... i believe it...

St. Phatty

The leaves are similar to the lungs of the plant.

When they get shaked, it forces more contact with air molecules the plant wants.

A little bit like an oscillating fan, or an outdoor breeze.

= good for plants.

Thanks so far for your input.

The reason why I see it necessary to open up such a topic is the fact, that plants surrounding the area where this "shaking" takes place 19 times a day (12h) are notably taller but also yielded much poorer than the plants further away. They are all the same genotype.

I just recall the notion that a lot of people believe that clones who are not yet rooted, hate it, when people touch them and move them all the time since they perceive this as stress.

Because of this I thought about the possibility, that adult plants also perceive a high frequency of beeing "vibrated" the whole day as stress and therefore yield less....

I know, thats a lot of speculating, which is something I cannot stand myself when talking about growing. But I just cannot identify any other cause. Every other factor is the same in the whole room...

Thats why I was hoping for other people who can share concrete information about this.

Thanks so far

Sunshineinabag

years ago in my living room i had jasmine plants growing... they r vines n need support- well i would zig-zag them on my walls around the speakers... . my music of choice is 60's n 70's heavy metal, n these plants grew like they were on steroids.... i was told that plants respond to music... i believe it...

I find frank Zappa with captain beef heart are quite good at stimulating growth!:biggrin:

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran

they do i read on it where plants with music did better than plants without.it seemed like legit source but i never delved into it

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It will have the same effect as the wind...

Thicker stems & sturdier plants...

The vibration shouldn't do much otherwise.

Lyfespan

everything in life has a resonance, you can see that when making frequency art, and also can see the formula in the fibonacci sequence represented everywhere also

Mart

Hi:tiphat:
Thats got to be tearing the roots..what medium?
This is shock imo not resonance....
Maybe try bracing the stem as in LST style
Split it with two pumps half the pressure?
Good luck buddy

Lyfespan

Good luck buddy

also this isnt something you want to do after watering? liquidfation might shear roots to hell

Mart

Hi again :tiphat:
Would it be possible to install a raised tank then pump up to that and then gravity feed..
im just rambling ideas off...

:artist:

Good luck buddy

Hey Mart

thanks for giving your thoughts. Medium is soil in 5 Litre buckets. I would guess that these shock-vibrations- if thats an appropriate terminology- are too weak to tear the roots, but I could be wrong. The high pressure of the pump is needed, because the valves for the drippers I am using dont work with much lower pressure. Maybe in the end I will have no other option than unpliugg the hose from the tables and stabilise it with something really heavy like a piece of iron that can absorb all the shock....

Thanks everybody

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Have you ever seen a shock mount for a microphone?

Perhaps theres a way to dampen the vibration from the pump itself.

On a platform hanging by bungee cords?

Hydro8

Back in the day when everyone had large wooden box speakers people would put plants on them. I've seen a few plants die on the speakers while others around the room lived, I always assumed it was from the vibrations.

Latest posts

Latest posts