What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What Do YOU See Wrong With These Instructions for a CURE?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I just saw these instructions posted online. It's how to "CURE" your cannabis properly.

What do YOU see wrong with these instructions?

How to Properly Dry and Cure Cannabis Buds
post said:
Here’s FOUR KEYS TO CURING CANNABIS:
1. Start with mostly dried buds or colas. The bud stems may be just brittle enough to snap after bending a bit.
2. Set up a climate-controlled environment with consistent temperature and relative humidity so the buds lose water at a stable, slow pace.
* Temperature: 65-70° F (18-21° C)
* Humidity: 50-55%
* Continuous circulation using oscillating and/or ceiling fans on low
* Buds or colas placed loosely on trays, in boxes, or hung on lines.
3. Time: 10 to 30 days
The buds dry slowly and consistently over several weeks. Curing allows the terpenes, which are oils, to continue to evolve. The trichomes continue to dry and smooth out and the THC-acid (THCa) converts to 9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).
4. Light: Constant dim light
Bright light, especially ultraviolet light, degrades cannabinoids and terpenes. Curing buds must sit in low light to total darkness.

What steps would you change, so new growers are not ruining their cannabis?

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I start when the bigger stems are almost crisp. Then jar in a cool dark place. To start with I check every few days and burp accordingly. When the stems start to snap and the buds are still just most enough to not be brittle I seal the jar. This is when drying ends and curing begins. Keep jar sealed. Anerobic bacteria begins to convert chlorophyll to sugars.

Without getting scientific this about sums it up for me. The longer in jar the better the cure. I used to think the burping part is curing but it is actually after drying is over and jar stays sealed. Opening starts process over. The only reason for burping jars is to make sure no extra moisture needs out. You can get away with no burps if you are a great judge of how dry the herb is.

i dont personally like the bud i get from drying at 50-55, atleast not 50
i try to stay around 60

question : does all thc-a convert to thc from a cure? i didnt think so. that would mean its 100% decarbed?

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
They strike me as instructions on how to dry your harvest, not cure it.

Reminds me of telling a budtender at a dispensary after he recommended a strain that it wasn't cured well if it was the same batch I had bought the week before. And if the same batch, I wasn’t interested. He proceeded to take a bud from the jar and tell me, as he snapped the stem, that that’s how you know it’s been cured. I didn’t bother trying to explain the difference.

And I am scratching my head over #4. Constant dim light? But then it closes by saying or total darkness. I’d go with darkness.

Douglas.Curtis

Yep, you guys are on it. :D They're instructions for drying your cannabis. They're not for curing.

Next question.

What quality cannabis will you get if you follow these directions explicitly?

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
for me having any light is silly, also he says to start with dry stuff without explaining how he got it to the stem snapping dryness. thats more important for end quality then having a month long cure.

idon't have an oscillating fan on my drying or curing buds, that drys them too much

Douglas.Curtis

And it's "DUST" for the win!!

LOL, I know these questions are too easy. This method was posted in a magazine with a LARGE circulation. Even if they print a retraction, it's all over social media. Be prepared to answer questions from people who learned this way the first time. ARGH!!

I can understand the fan for air movement to prevent mold germinating, but honestly I use filtered air and it's not a worry. I literally close stuff up in a small space with a digital hygrometer. Burping it down to the snapping point slowly. Without a ton of mold spores, cannabis does not mold easily. :D

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
not sure i follow where does dust come in to it? i know i must be missing something, but can't think what :D

Last edited:

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
not sure i follow where does dust come in to it? i now i must be missing something, but can't think what :D

Like leaving a nug in a dehydrator for a very long time. So instead of a nice sticky bud that all the moisture left slowly. Dust.

They kind of herb that breaks itself up before the scissors look at at and when you roll a joint half falls out one end and the other half ends up in your teeth.

Douglas.Curtis

It's from Ed Rosenthal, and it's taken out of context.
It's taken straight from the article I read.

If the article has it out of context, I'd like to know what parts the writers messed up. I don't follow Ed, so I'm not familiar with his work. Of it, yes. :) Greatly appreciate his contributions. :D

Old days in prohibition land lol,

well old days for some is present days for others it seem :p

I dont know why but people here in europe really seem to expect "dust dry" herb,
if its slow dried and maintained at 60% for a good cure they would just get mad (Buyers)

I was gifted a couple ounces of strawberry banana, nicely grown, but turn to straight dust! it was ready for drysift a 100% which was what i did lol

Douglas.Curtis

Old days in prohibition land lol,

well old days for some is present days for others it seem :p
Ouch, yes I meant my old days. Except for a few pockets, I see global legalization coming soon. We'll slowly see a lot less powdered cannabis then. lol

I dont know why but people here in europe really seem to expect "dust dry" herb,
if its slow dried and maintained at 60% for a good cure they would just get mad (Buyers)

I was gifted a couple ounces of strawberry banana, nicely grown, but turn to straight dust! it was ready for drysift a 100% which was what i did lol
Wow. They're missing out on soooo much!! We need to grow more education in Europe!! :D Spread it around thick. hehehehe

Latest posts

Latest posts