What's new

Tap into Home HVAC from Basement?

RB56

Veteran
I have a heat pump with oil backup, forced air, in the house. Growroom in basement which isn't heated or cooled. A duct going upstairs runs across the growroom ceiling. I just need a little cooling in the summer and a little heat in the winter. Can I put a vent in the duct to heat and cool the room? The return runs right next to the duct I'd like to access, so it doesn't make sense to me to use that. That means I'd be running with no return. Thoughts appreciated.

jammie

ganjatologist
Veteran
does your basement have any natural air circulation? i would think you need good circulation to grow plants successfully. Can you vent out a window or through the wall?

RB56

Veteran
does your basement have any natural air circulation? i would think you need good circulation to grow plants successfully. Can you vent out a window or through the wall?
There's good circulation through the growroom, which is actually 2 rooms (veg and flower) back to back. Intake from basement in veg room, also where the HVAC ducts are, actively exhausted into flower room, which in turn exhausts from flower room into the basement.

jammie

ganjatologist
Veteran
If you have good air circulation then a return duct may not be important. I'm sure a hvac pro will drop by in a day or so

T

TreehouseJ

Also curious. I've got a return running overhead my tent's ac exhaust which I would now very much like to poke a hole in.

RB56

Veteran
It would be easy enough to try and then reverse if it isn't effective, so I guess my biggest concern is causing damage, having a drastic negative impact on the system's efficiency or god knows what else.

nukklehead

There's good circulation through the growroom, which is actually 2 rooms (veg and flower) back to back. Intake from basement in veg room, also where the HVAC ducts are, actively exhausted into flower room, which in turn exhausts from flower room into the basement.

I assume your exhaust is well scrubbed before you direct exhaust into basement?... I would put a "T" into the duct with a dampener in it and you can "fine tune" with the dampener how much air is deposited in the grow room.. you have to cut into the duct line but this is my redneck suggestion.. :)

coldcanna

Veteran
couple things- is your heat pump a split system with cassettes on the walls or a conventional system that is ducted into your house? obv. if its split then you won't gain any cooling benefits from tapping into duct that is only attached to your oil furnace.

that being said, there's nothing wrong with tapping into the supply duct. the only side effect will be that you lower the amount of heat that will be going to whatever room is upstairs. add a damper to the "T" in your grow room and you can easily tweak things to find a balance in the grow room and upstairs. If your room is below ground and reasonably insulated it shouldn't take too many btu's to keep it at decent temps.

As far as not having a return.... You can passively vent the positive pressure into the basement or you could easily cut a T into the return duct and again use a damper to dial in the right amount of negative pull. If you put thermostatic dampers on the supply line feeding your upstairs room and after the T into your grow room then they would only draw when needed as opposed to your grow always having an open supply. These are onlu $100 and easy to install. You can put manual dampers on the returns just to tweak it.

RB56

Veteran
couple things- is your heat pump a split system with cassettes on the walls or a conventional system that is ducted into your house? obv. if its split then you won't gain any cooling benefits from tapping into duct that is only attached to your oil furnace.

that being said, there's nothing wrong with tapping into the supply duct. the only side effect will be that you lower the amount of heat that will be going to whatever room is upstairs. add a damper to the "T" in your grow room and you can easily tweak things to find a balance in the grow room and upstairs. If your room is below ground and reasonably insulated it shouldn't take too many btu's to keep it at decent temps.

As far as not having a return.... You can passively vent the positive pressure into the basement or you could easily cut a T into the return duct and again use a damper to dial in the right amount of negative pull. If you put thermostatic dampers on the supply line feeding your upstairs room and after the T into your grow room then they would only draw when needed as opposed to your grow always having an open supply. These are onlu $100 and easy to install. You can put manual dampers on the returns just to tweak it.
Outstanding - thank you.

Latest posts

Latest posts