What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is this root rot? HYDRO - DWC (Picture Included)

VSandman5

Hello everyone,

I am currently in the process of my first grow. I came across a small problem with my roots turning a slight brown and my leaves started getting droopy as well. After research and other forums, I think I've come to the conclusion I have a small case of root rot.

If this is the case, what's the easiest way to get rid of the dead/brown roots without harming the rest of the plant? I already started a band-aid/cure with H202 and also added another air stone inside the reservoir. The water temp stays between 64-70°F. So I have that part figured out for the most part.

My main questions:
Is it root rot?
Do I cut away the dead/un-cured roots? Pull them out?

Any advice is appreciated! THANKS!

Attachments

• 20160604_235621.jpg
    20160604_235621.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20160604_235724.jpg
    20160604_235724.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 6
O

OG Tree Grower

Are they slimey and mushy? Do they pull away easy?
Did you wash that hydroton good?
What nutes do u use/ what colour is your res water?
How old is the plant?
How many plants are there?do they all look like that?

jammie

ganjatologist
Veteran
Looks more like algae rather than roo root. I use subculture b, which is a beneficial bacteria and fungus that kills all the bad bugs. Algae is usually due to light leaks in your buckets

VSandman5

In reply to OG:

1) They're not all slimy, only a couple. None are mushy.
2) Yes, I cleaned the hydroton well using distilled/clean water.
3) Res water is almost clear; I am using "General Hydroponics - FloraDuo."
4) Plant is only 1 month old.
5) Only one plant.

What size air pump and what size bucket? It's likely that you just weren't providing enough oxygen. For dead roots, remove them if they come off easily, and any that fall into the water, you don't want dead roots floating around inside, that'll cause a lot of problems.

If you are still having problems after adding more air, then I'd type Great White, it's the best out there and will solve your problem.

O

OG Tree Grower

I Agree with scrappy doo. There is a very good thread on it just search brown Algae, they have a good solution for it in the thread.
If not it's pretty mild root rot, either way remove anything soft and slimy, clean up with h202.

VSandman5

I have a 35w air pump w/ two stones running into a 3 gallon black bucket. Before though, I did have a fish aquarium pump with one air stone. I noticed the pump was going in and out, so I got a new and improved one. ��

I'm thinking the rot, if it is rot (still have to look at that brown algae) started at the beginning of the grow. Now that I have the bigger pump and all that, will the rot go away? I currently have the roots sitting in 3 gal of clean distilled PH'd water with only H202, no nutes. I figured I'd leave it for 30min as a treatment? Is that good or bad?

O

OG Tree Grower

Yup that's what I do for rot. H2o2 bath rinse, bath,rinse , rinse ect

You might think it's gone but if you lose the air pump or get temps above 70 f it will be back with vengeance

VSandman5

What do you mean "bath, rinse, bath, rinse?" Please explain in detail, this is my first grow so Im not sure what you mean by that? I'm guessing the bath is the H202/Water mix, but then what is it youre rinsing and with what?

Thanks everyone for the replies so far!! :)

O

OG Tree Grower

You got it, bath with h202, rinse with water , bath with fresh h202 and repeate until bath water comes clean. In your case once or twice since it's a small plant and small rootmass

The h202 will clean the existing damage as well as add oxygen to your water. Just make sure that after dipping, no pieces then fall off into the bucket when you put it back. For a 3 gallon bucket, I don't know the watts, but basically how many ports does your pump have? You want at least 2. The single port ones are only good for making Aerated Compost Tea or Bubbling out Chlorine. Personally, I go with a 4 port and 2 airstones for a 5 gallon bucket holding 3.5 gallons of water, with a couple t-fittings making it so 2 ports actually go to 1 stone.