What's new

SSSDH comparison between 3 storage- drying - curing methods after one year

THC123

Veteran
picture.php

This is a nice picture showing buds from my sssdh harvest from april 2012. All 3 are over one year old

The left one was dried untill the stems snap then left in a jar for 24 hours to sweat and then frozen

The middle one was dried and cured accordign to another way

the one on the right was cured one year a at 65%. RH

Which one is the best? Neither :)

All 3 methods just give very different results.

The one on the left is best suitable for vaping as it has all the initial strong terpenes and aromas full on candy hazy sandalwoody smell, gives a powerfull direct high and always stays the same because it is frozen. It also smokes very smoothly with a good smell like taste

The one in the middle has retained the initial aroma but has made it deeper, fuller effect is more stoned then method 1, it is nice to smoke and nice to vape

The one on the right has totally changed smells. I kept it one year at 65%. It is still very very sticky although you can easily break it into smaller pieces, it has become very soft. The smell is very intense very sour incensy cleaning product smell much less sandalwoody and hazy. Smokes unbelievably smooth and also vapes very nicely- effect is narcotic. This method changes your weed so after a year people would never tell it is the same strain. Also this method does not add anything extra for vaping.

For vaping method 1 and 2 are best, for smoking method 2 and 3

This can be good or bad, most strains cure well but some become boring with curing, others really improve. For example amnesia and SPG are not so nice to cure so long with this method as the smells totally changes, but of course tastes are subjective.

It is a very precise safe method with consistent results and with the right strain, you can make a real connoiseur stash

Karmas method on the other hand retains all initial aromas and properties but makes it more couchlock

The freezer method retains all original properties so before freezing it you have to test it to be sure it is good. Takes a lot of precise timing, perfect for vaping and long term storage.

First curing and then freezing works also very well, so sometimes i freezer cured buds at different stages.

I hope you find this little ramble interesting, I find it fascinating to experiment with these things

guyyug

Been waiting for a thread like this. On the freezer one, you left it sealed up in the jar when you placed it in the freezer? Some of the "freezer methods" involved having it open placed in a frost free freezer.

Generally speaking, which methods would you use to store for 1-2 months, which for 6-12 months, and which for multiple years?

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Simon's. Hands down. I'm all about smoooooth and STICKY! lol :)

Freezer sucks for me due to space and cost to keep it running.

Totally appreciate the information!

Stay Safe! :tiphat:

Friend

Veteran
great thread, but could you perhaps briefly outline the methods you used and how they differ?

jammie

ganjatologist
Veteran
Been waiting for a thread like this. On the freezer one, you left it sealed up in the jar when you placed it in the freezer? Some of the "freezer methods" involved having it open placed in a frost free freezer.

Generally speaking, which methods would you use to store for 1-2 months, which for 6-12 months, and which for multiple years?

for storage greater then 6 mo. there's nothing better than vacuum sealing. i've found that erb stored in glass jars that are vacuum packed are as fresh, potent and spongy after 2yrs as they are after mo. i use the pump n seal. if you use new kerr lids the seal will last more than 6 mo. i usually reseal every 6 mo. http://pump-n-seal.com/

THC123

Veteran
Simon's. Hands down. I'm all about smoooooth and STICKY! lol

I just love variation so i will keep using all three methods depending on if i want to smoke or vape and according to what kind of effect - smellsI want

Great Report. What is karma's method?

I wont go into detail because it is not up to me, but basically you just seal it when as soon as the stem snaps, at that point you can keep it closed for a year without worrying about mold.

great thread, but could you perhaps briefly outline the methods you used and how they differ?

freezer method is dry untill stem snaps, then into small custom cut ironing bags in the freezer. You can also dry untill stem barely snaps and then let it sweat in a jar for a night, then you open the jar and leave it open untill stems of bud snap and then in the freezer.

With this method it dries 10-14 days and also very important is to dry with leaves on the retain aromas and keep it from drying out too fast. Timing is important, once too dry it is crap

Karmas method is basically the freezer method without the freezer :) but again it is not my method and I dont feel good writing all details down here so if he wants to do this it is fine by me but I wont, sorry guys

method 3 simons method is explained in another topic called the perfect cure.

SO one method is no cure one is a mini cure and the other one is full on cure

for multiple years freezer, also once i get a herb on a certain wow point during the cure, I will freeze part of it and then for example multiple months later once the herb has hit another interesting point i freeze some more again.

but as far as the rest of your question is concerned, I just dont look at it that way. I choose what method to use based on what result it will give me. So if I want fresh super strong aroma type weed i will freeze it after abouyt 14 days drying(nothing beats this for vaping)

If I want stuff to smoke and also If i want to cure without the hassle of jars and hygrometers I will use karmas cure, also karmas cure, becasue it retains most initial aromas is also very nice for vaping

Simons method is not so nice for vaping but just great to smoke

Jhhnn

Veteran
Interesting- thank you. Can you link to karma's curing method?

Simon's method definitely gives great results on a 2 month cure, at least for smoking. Smoother & tastier all around, with decent aroma preservation... I want to maintain the cure, testing occasionally, but I have to get ahead of the curve growing to do that. As you say, if future sampling indicates that quality is falling off at all, it'll go into the freezer.

Latest posts

Latest posts