What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bill Gates - Why "almost" eradicating Polio is not enough

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
Although no one knows exactly how long polio has been around, malformed bones of Egyptian mummies and stone carvings from around 1400 BCE suggest the disease has dwelled among human populations for thousands of years.

The great irony about polio is that, while it was probably more prevalent in Pharaonic times, it only became a terrifying epidemic in ours. One reason offered by scientists is that in ancient times, infants were protected by maternal antibodies and likely developed lifelong immunity. But as hygiene improved in a rapidly modernizing world, people weren’t exposed to the virus until later in life, when they were no longer protected by their mother’s immune system. Although the introduction of polio vaccines in the mid-twentieth century quickly stalled major polio outbreaks in wealthier countries, it remained endemic in many parts of the world as late as 1988. That year, the World Health Assembly (WHA), the decision-making body of the World Health Organization (WHO), passed a resolution supporting the global eradication of polio. At the time, the virus was still circulating in 125 countries, where it paralyzed 1,000 people a day—filling parents with terror and hospital wards with children who, in many cases, would never walk again.

Read the rest of Bill Gates essay:
http://www.aucegypt.edu/gapp/cairoreview/Pages/articleDetails.aspx?aid=321

ps. I'm sure Bill is enjoying ridding the planet of one of the worlds worse scourges, and it is very noble and we're lucky (we = every living human on the planet) that he's chosen to spend his fortune on a venture like this, as opposed to just passing his fortune down to his kids ..... but at the same time I can't help but wonder if he's missing programming :D

Last edited:

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
fuck Bill gates..

Congratulations, THE SINGLE MOST STUPID icmag post i've ever seen. What have YOU ever done to eradicating the worlds major diseases?????? and why are you so against Bill Gates for spending his fortune on such a venture that helps humanity??? (he's chosen to spend his fortune on humanity such as idiots like you and I rather than giving it to his kids)

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
yeah whatever..

you believe that tripe do you? :biglaugh:

why dont you actually do some research into what that foundation has been getting up to and report back to me instead of believing everything you read/hear on face value.. hardly my job to educate you is it..

your gulping down of that propaganda makes me think your post was stupid, but i didnt call you that..

obviously you know so much about what he has been doing dont you??

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
Lost In A Sea: you probably also are still in disbelief that humanity has eradicated Smallpox ...

I'm confused in regards to what world you live in, but I guess you'd put it down as "propaganda". I'd put it down as "decades of science agreed to upon multiple scientific agencies from several countries", but each to their own.

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
well i dont believe anything 100% because i am a scientist :tiphat:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"decades of science agreed to upon multiple scientific agencies from several countries" :puke:
[/FONT]

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
Suspect, yes, not every vaccination has gone to plan in the past, but your links ignore all the successful vaccinations of the past that have saved countless millions of people, including during pandemics.

Suspect

Veteran
"At the fifth session of the Intergovernmental Negotiating Committee meeting in early 2013, delegates from around the world will decide whether or not to pass a resolution restricting the use of Thimerosal in all vaccines. It’s widely used in developing countries like nations in Africa, which has a huge upsurge in cases of neurological disorders."

"Thimerosal, used as a preservative, is favoured by the pharmaceutical industry because it is cheap and enables the industry to keep making vaccines in old and dirty factories. Sadly, Thimerosal also causes developmental problems, mental retardation and autism in mercury sensitive children. – Mark Geier, M.D., Ph.D., to the African Delegation of the UN Treaty"

"Thimerosal began selling as a preservative in vaccines in the 1940′s. It contains 50 percent mercury by weight and is metabolized or degraded into ethyl mercury and thiosalicylate. It’s funny because the department of defense classifies mercury as a hazardous material that could cause death if swallowed, inhaled or absorbed through the skin. Mercury has been linked to cardiovascular disease, autism, seizures, mental retardation, hyperactivity, dyslexia and many other nervous system conditions. Anything developed in the 1940′s by large pharmaceutical companies should be in question. I am confused at how anybody can trust what is done by major pharmaceutical companies. It is clear that not many people look into it. One must look at all factors, dive into their intuition, use critical thinking and make connections."
http://www.naturalnews.com/011764_thimerosal_mercury.html

Fully safe and NATURAL eh!?

TLoft13

Congratulations, THE SINGLE MOST STUPID icmag post i've ever seen. What have YOU ever done to eradicating the worlds major diseases?????? and why are you so against Bill Gates for spending his fortune on such a venture that helps humanity??? (he's chosen to spend his fortune on humanity such as idiots like you and I rather than giving it to his kids)
Because half the causes, ideas and methods supported by do-gooders like him are borderline insane and harmfull.

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
TLoft13, but in saying that you're discounting all the medical breakthroughs that have been made - all the GENUINE BREAKTHROUGHS that have had amazing results

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
lostinasea has some weird personal gripe against me, so i apologise for the convolution -- i'm against whaling, he says he's against whaling but only has arguments against whaling restrictions, so what can ya do? :/

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
lost in a sea, WHAT IS YOUR ISSUE??? Why have you hijacked both this thread, as well as the anti-whaling thread?????

Nevermind, ive noticed your profile is "Location: troll city". (If only there was an emoticon for furious masturbation)

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
i cant hi jack a thread that is'nt going anywhere in the first place..

i simply agreed strongly with what tloft said and pointed out that you (as usual it seems) misinterpreted what he meant.. my issue is quickly growing into the fact that you are a dumbass..

yeah troll city and you're the inhabitant dumb dumb :jerkit:

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
Yet you keep posting HOURS after you claimed you had no interest in this thread, WAHHH WAHHH WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

"Troll city" -- at least you're honest.

Any other ways you'd like to expose yourself as an idiot to the world??? Please, the stage is again all yours...

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
i'm just letting everyone see what a pointless addition to this community you are so they dont bother posting in your pathetic threads :D

you must be drunk, that was the whaling thread i said i had no interest in.. are you seriously this stupid ?? it must be an act surely :biglaugh:

Latest posts

Latest posts