What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

interesting article on " the myth of permanent peatlands

al-k-mist

heres an article i came across looking up somethin else. I definitely see a point, but i cannot see growing medicine with many of the alternatives listed, especially biosolids...human shit(Not my own).
Ill let people make their own decision. maybe share your opinion...or not...
I was going to mention that i bought a pallet of peat a while back. those are going to be permanent beds...but after reading of the environmental impact, i must look into it a bit more
pdf was at
http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~linda ...ral myths_files/Myths/Horticultural peat.pdf

Linda Chalker-Scott, Ph.D., Extension Urban Horticulturist and Associate Professor,
Puyallup Research and Extension Center, Washington State University
The Myth of Permanent Peatlands:
"Peat moss is an environmentally friendly organic amendment essential for many
horticultural purposes"
The Myth
Peatlands are specialized types of wetlands whose value to human civilization has been
recognized for centuries. Perhaps the most continued use of peatlands is as a fuel source:
chunks of peat are cut from bogs, dried, and used for cooking and heating purposes. Though
many societies have turned to other forms of energy production, this practice continues today
especially where other fuel sources are absent.
Peat moss, a principal plant component of peatlands, has also been an important part of the
horticulture industry; it’s used as a soil amendment both in gardens and container plants and as
an aesthetic topdressing for potted plants and floral arrangements. Consisting primarily of
Sphagnum species, peat moss has an amazing capacity to hold water like a sponge, slowly
releasing it as the surrounding soil dries out. Since peat is 100% natural, it must be a truly
“green” gardening product – right?
The Reality
The “greenness” of any product is determined both by the environmental friendliness of the
product and its method of production. Unfortunately, there is no economically realistic,
environmentally friendly way to harvest peat moss. This is a natural resource that accumulates at
the glacially slow rate of 0.5 – 1.0 mm per year, or about ¼ of an inch. Peat harvesting involves
the removal of deep layers of peat that have literally taken centuries to accumulate. In fact, since
harvesting implies sustainability, it is more accurate to describe commercial peat removal as
mining.
While peat used for fuel can be necessary for human survival, that used for modern horticultural
purposes is not and therefore represents luxury consumption. For consumers to make an
informed decision about whether or not to use peat moss requires an understanding of the roles
peatlands play in the environment. Like other wetlands, these systems help purify and store
water. Perhaps most important is that they are the single largest terrestrial store of carbon,
equivalent to 75% of all carbon in the atmosphere (CC-GAP, 2005). Paradoxically, the
destruction of peatlands is not yet recognized as a significant part of global climate change.
Most damaging to educational efforts regarding peatland conservation is industry assertions that
there are no substitutes for peat moss in horticultural applications. Similarly, there is often a
perception that this natural resource cannot be diminished; sales material from one local peat
producer claims their supply of peat from a 150-acre lake is “virtually limitless.” One industry
group asserts that “peat is still the only affordable and readily available substrate that can be used
to grow all kinds of plants….It is still the underpinning of the horticulture industry, worldwide.”

The faq over at peatmoss.com would of course tell a different story. Unless you're making leaf mold, I can't imagine a greener alternative for N. Americans.

MileHighGuy

Veteran
For some reason I'm okay with us using .02% of the almost 300 Million acres for now. Maybe I'll change my mind some day.

Edit: 270 million acres in Canada. Less than .02% harvested so far. A little math = 54,000 Acres so far

pip313

Sustainability of something that takes hundreds of years to grow is possible as long as removal is less than accumalation. I would be more concerned with weither they strip the land bare or leave a substrate for new growth to start on.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As with most of Linda's articles she leaves out the salient points from the opposing point of view.

al-k-mist

^^^ oh so true, MM. She left out a lot of the other sides arguments
it was the ecological impact of harvested peat, and the peatlands that had been harvested, that makes me want to look a bit more into it
my peat is going nowhere,

B

BlueJayWay

She gets grants to research 'topics' - I doubt even she would use ANY of the "alternatives" she listed LMAO, the only one remotely close is of course coco, but that industry has its own slue of environmental impacts.....

So this Linda Chalker-Scott is just another clown? The guy teaching my county extension gardening class recommended taking a look at one of her studies...cant remember exactly what topic. I actually had a beer w/ this guy and he tried to tell me that 'compost tea has yet to be proven effective'. Then he asks if I was planning on taking the level 2 class...not a fucking chance...collect your paycheck indirectly from Monsanto and do not pass go.

Oh yeah....I remember reading that peat bogs cover 1% of all the land mass on Earth. Anyone ever been to Northern Alberta??? Has to be more environmentally friendly than tar sands or massive clear-cutting operations...not to mention all the fucking paper mills.

B

BugJar

The guy teaching my county extension gardening class recommended taking a look at one of her studies....

If you want to learn anything substantial hit up an accredited university
at least that has been my experience

even the universities can be behind the times on stuff.

this is why I love IC

Coba

Veteran
county extension... the extension part usually means a State University's Extension ... FYI.

Linda Chalker-Scott didn't she do a study on studies? or a paper on other papers or something else equally uninformative.

Yep...supposedly one of the best agricultural schools in the country. Recently won some award for 'sustainable living' or something like that. I think the problem is that Universities get so much goddamn money from Monsanto, Bayer, DuPont etc., that they cant/wont tell us the truth. Think I'll start a thread on the topic...what the hell?

Muleskinner

Veteran
I'm pretty sure England just banned the use of peat moss. Supplies in the northern UK are dwindling and not getting replaced. But, as someone mentioned, things are different in North America. We have Quebec, and it's got a enormous shitload of peat bogs. 1mm per year is MORE than enough to replenish everything up there.

B

BugJar

maybe it is just the extension programs where I lived for several years. they always seemed like a "community" version of the real deal.

If that wasn't your experience I am glad.

I went to two VERY large ag schools and even their extension programs were pretty weak

TLoft13

One little addition from the end user perspective: I did side-by-sides with 3 brands of peatless soilmixes over my last grows. Worked absolutly flawless and without a single noticeable difference between regular and peatless. It may be different if you use the substrate longer than a single cycle, regarding compaction ect.
I will buy it again as long as i have the few extra cents to go peatless.

MileHighGuy

Veteran
One little addition from the end user perspective: I did side-by-sides with 3 brands of peatless soilmixes over my last grows. Worked absolutly flawless and without a single noticeable difference between regular and peatless. It may be different if you use the substrate longer than a single cycle, regarding compaction ect.
I will buy it again as long as i have the few extra cents to go peatless.

What exactly was used instead of peat in the three separate mixes?

TLoft13

2 rootbark, 1 coco(maybe+ rootbark, can't remember)
2 cheap, one premium brand-Compo Sana
Like I said, absolutly no perceptiple difference in handling and performance compared to my usual soil. Water retention, compaction, EC level, all worked out. I amended all with dolomite, like my regular mix.