What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Total newb and overwhelmed. What's step 1?

808Rob

Okay, I hate to admit it but I'm completely clueless. I've looked around this website and found a lot of interesting and met some extremely cool and helpful people, but I'm more lost than ever. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction?

This is what I know so far...

I'm looking to start growing for primarily medical purposes. I have severe, full body muscle spasms due to a spinal cord injury. I'm currently taking three times the maximum recommended dose of Baclofen. My doctor wants me to ween off the Baclofen and suggested Valium in its place. Since one small hit of pakalolo instantaneously relieves my spasms, he's approved me to get my mmj permit. However, I know absolutely nothing about growing. All the terminology is Greek to me and the names of various strains are colorful but mean nothing to me. I think I'm in way over my head.

What I've figured out so far is, I want to make canna-caps and I think I want to grow outdoors. We have the most expensive electricity in the nation and why not take advantage of Hawaii's year round growing weather? I also figure I don't want a strain that has me glued to the couch and cabbaged. I have a sales job that is highly cerebral, so I can't be mind fucked all day long. If there is a particular strain that is energizing, that would be ideal.

Since I don't know where to begin, I was looking at the How To Grow books on Amazon. Any thoughts which one is best?

Also, I don't have any contacts to get clones or seeds. Are the vendor ads on this website safe?

Any info you can provide is hugely appreciated!!

Mahalo!!

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
Hello. I don't really think you need to get a how to book. At the end of the day, its still just a plant that needs the same thing almost any other plant needs....good water, good food & good light. Start browsing the outdoor growers forum and learn & go for it. Be patient and take your time, its well worth it....and don't be discouraged when you fail ( you will fail) but once you've learned and made the right repairs, you'll be in full swing....bottom line, read read read, experiment. Everything here is super helpful and most of the ppl are always willing to lend a hand, but you've got to do the homework. Good luck.

Tyga

Veteran
Growing pot is just like growing any other plant... Of course some things are different but as far as the concept goes its the same.
Plant seed- water- light.... etc. I would just rock indoors if possible... Outdoors can be hit or miss plus you won't be able to provide yourself with meds all year long.
Everything you need to know is right on this site it's just going to take some digging... Good luck! :tiphat:

sog army

step 1.. instead of posting about how you want to grow.. read more
step 2... after reading more.. read some more..
step 3.. Just when you think you want to post again about how you want to grow.. wait until you've read enough to post some actual grow shots.. even if they are crappy and the plants look bad.
step 4. be prepared to spend alot of your free time and money learning your new trade and what works for you..

Last edited:
G

greenmatter

there is more information here than in any book i've ever seen and there is more than one member here who has first hand experience growing where you want to grow

welcome to IC

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Things you want to be looking up...

Life cycle of cannabis
Difference between veg and flowering light cycle.
Watering & Nutritional needs during veg and flowering stages
How to tell a boy from a girl.

I'd suggest a nice easy soil mix like the one in my sig. Dude just basically read your ass off on ICMAG. I feel like I'm getting a horticulture degree here, your knowledge will build in stages.

808Rob

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the encouragement. I'll go with the consensus. Read & try. Read & try.

Aloha!

Loose Cannon

Tonygreen is dead on. Learn the plant cycles/ reactions/ needs and it'll do the rest. Very resilient weed.
Don't visit during dark cycle unless you can see in the dark....

johnipedestran

1%
Veteran
Here's how I see it.
You need to set up a couple t-5 flourescent lights inside to start your seeds/keep clones or mother plants
Outside if you had a 6 x 8 area maybe fenced in then put some cover around the fence so people can't see in but the sun can get in the top....
Don't worry about strains right now, just grow seeds you get from your friends:tiphat:

Once you get things set up and figured out then you can worry about more specific strains

Your best bet is to use some mix that will require water only, look at the organic soil section for ideas

peace
jip

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the encouragement. I'll go with the consensus. Read & try. Read & try.

Aloha!

Awesome! I see good things growing in your future. :)

Start with the stickies at the top of each forum. Read everything, even the forums you don't think you're going to need.

Took me 6 months to research everything before deciding on swc and hydro, lucas style. Another 2-3 months research while I built a twin 150w hps cab and.... :woohoo: Great first harvest with no need to ask questions. :) (That was 10 years ago on Cannabisworld and OverGrow)

You'll reach a point where you can't answer your questions by doing more research. When you reach the point other people don't know how to help, 'cause your questions have become too specific, it's time to get growing. :) Remember... start with free/cheap seeds when learning to sprout properly. LOL

You're in the right place... just keeeeeep digging. LOL

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
yes the reading and self tutelage is quintessential...
trial and error are really the only way to travel this road...
and the reality of failures "that will happen"...accept this NOW...

few hint's....
always BE ~ SAFE... weather w/ security, equipment, environment, and expectations...
Less IS More... this often applies to SO much of what we do... learn this
DO NOT SKIMP or CUT corners on equipment... or setup...
in the long run will only cost U more...
learn to listen, and apply to U circumstance and situation...

and for these AD's....yes, there as safe as the interWEB is....
the Bean vendors hear... are agreat place to start...

for know...I'd focus on CHEAP seeds....
so U cAN PLANT MORE.... AND accept the ones that will crash and burn...

ps.... this "life".... take time and patience

blessedBE, enjoy the journey, it will reward U, evermore

DankSide

Like others have said, your best bet is to read up a bit here and then trial by fire - just jump in!

Some of the more tumultuous times are waiting for seeds, rent inspections, smell containment.

You will see growth strategies to maximize yield such as topping, lst, scrogging and sogging.

Aim for a 1 Gram Per Watt ratio as you continue, don't tell ANYONE - even if it's legal. Don't even let potential thieves know you have half a clue about growing.

Plenty of seed vendor forums in this site with plenty of prime genetics + picture examples, it just takes some digging, reading, searching, and reading.

808Rob

Aloha Dankside, JIP, Hydro, yortbogi, and ALL others! Thanks for your posts. They've really been a great help. Now that I know what a sticky is, I've read some amazing stuff. Very helpful. Whoever wrote to me that they feel like they've received a degree in horticulture from all the info on this website was spot on. There are some extremely well written posts, articles, diagrams, pictures, etc., on here. Thanks for pushing me to dig in a little deeper. This Newb is on his way!!

Merry Christmas, everyone. :D

I agree with what others have been saying. Read, read, read, read and do a bit more reading. Do not just read the forums that are directly relevant to how you want to do things. I grow hydro yet I still read the organic forums. If you have a question, it has been answered before. You can count on that. When you decide on your setup, copy exactly what others have done. You may be a really creative person and want to put your own tweaks to peoples designs but until you understand cannabis and the intricacies of growing, just imitate the pros and save yourself some headache. I had been wanting to grow for years and recently an opportunity came up and I took the plunge. I read these forums for months (still do) and my first run turned out pretty good. I made a lot of mistakes but now I know what I did wrong and I have learned from them. Now I am on my 2nd run and have a benchmark to beat. Best of luck bro and keep us up to date on how things are going.