What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Night or day?

Bobbo4200

Veteran
Just wondering how many of you run your lights on period at night? Just found out about off peak hours electric rate, and am probs going to change

Herbophile

I run mine at night for temps and it's easier to squeeze in the gardening time around my work schedule. We don't get any discounts for off peak in my area unfortunately.

Friend

Veteran
my light schedule for flowering has always been 6pm to 6am ever since i started growing. kinda sucks though because i always want to look at my plants during the day but i can't.

Scorp1on

my light schedule for flowering has always been 6pm to 6am ever since i started growing. kinda sucks though because i always want to look at my plants during the day but i can't.

same here, temps at night are cooler

I

IE2KS_KUSH

Any other questions.?
Oh and don't forget you could always run flip flop 2 rooms so you get two cycles at a time ....I also veg so I always have moms and clones and seed to tend to even during lights off in the flower room....oh and then there's all the fucking weed smoking too that keeps me pretty busy fuck I'm fucking baked right now..:)

Bobbo4200

Veteran
Aiiight, I havent made the switch yet-but I am going to after the weekend. My electricity bill was one hundred and twenty nine fuckiNg dollars! I was running my 400w Lumatek ballast at 400Super Lumens, which I estimate to actually be 400-450watts, and also three 90w Prosource Illuminator UFO's in the flower tent. And I have a 96w T5, and three cfl's that equal about 80w-plus multiple fans lol. Anyway, I will run the flower tent from 7pm to 7am, and the veg tent from 6pm to 12pm. What do you think? Thanks again guys!!!

DankSide

Only thing that crosses my mind about night lights are that you want to make sure that stuff is IR proofed with no leaks just in case. I'm nearly certain the best or only time they can detect with those is night time. It's not legal to use to spy, right? But the world is full of too many what if's to take a chance like that! With IR cameras more affordable these days, you never know what the thieves will come up with.

-Glad to see tents are advertised IR proof as well, but has anyone here done testing on that?

i have my lights off during the hottest part of the day. When i'm growing auto flowers, i have the lights off between 1pm - 5pm, so the lights on all night when it's naturally cooler. When growing standard fem plants, i'd have the lights on during the night too, and off during the day.

MTRUM75

I agree. Lights on at night.

I live where it is hot and humid in the summer and cold in the winter. Running lights at night helps with both seasons (winter not having to run a heater as much during lights out).

carrotsyo

Another thing to consider, if you haven't got it 100% under control, is smell. I have read that smells are strongest right before the lights come on. So you should consider if you would have anyone around that might notice the smell.

I would consider having the lights come on later if possible, well after any visitors would usually come about.

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Lights on 6PM - 6AM..Time of Use electricity rates (dirt cheap 6 pm to 10 am....bendover prices during the day).

If you have the ability, the cool night air is great source to cool off those lamps. The air intake is under my eaves and a huge fan in the attic pulls the cool air through the ductwork and lamps. Funny problem, the air can be "too cold" and cause the flex ducting inside the flower environment to "drip water" or condensation...lol. Bonus, my air conditioner usage dropped around 50%--since the lamps are now "cooler"; now that I like! 77 degrees and the AC is on about 15 minutes each hour when lights are on.

Latest posts

Latest posts