What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mozilla Firefox (not responding)

H

Hal

Anybody know whats up with Firefox and this message it is CONSTANTLY giving me?

My computer is really slowing down, and since it has been entering its geriatric days this message always gets displayed in the top bar if I click randomly while I get impatient for progress.

Also...a few nights ago I shut my computer off (normally it takes about 15 minutes to do its shutdown process, every single night it seems to be downloading updates to Windows), and I happened to doze off, woke up 2 hrs later and it was still downloading updates! It said it was on #17 of a total of 24 updates being installed!! Fucking A!! So, I unplugged it.

Did I fuck up something in the computer by doing this? It seems to be running even slower than before.

I need a new computer.

ItIsTime

Anybody know whats up with Firefox and this message it is CONSTANTLY giving me?

My computer is really slowing down, and since it has been entering its geriatric days this message always gets displayed in the top bar if I click randomly while I get impatient for progress.

Also...a few nights ago I shut my computer off (normally it takes about 15 minutes to do its shutdown process, every single night it seems to be downloading updates to Windows), and I happened to doze off, woke up 2 hrs later and it was still downloading updates! It said it was on #17 of a total of 24 updates being installed!! Fucking A!! So, I unplugged it.

Did I fuck up something in the computer by doing this? It seems to be running even slower than before.

I need a new computer.

Well, you could have a # of problems...

Virus, Spyware/Malware/Adware...memory issues...OS issues...tough to say.

Start out like this:

- Download CCleaner and clean out all the junk & temp files, etc.
- Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Spybot & Ad-Aware, update all 3 programs and run full-system scans with all 3 (this can take hours to run depending)
- Remove any traces of infections it finds
- Start>Run>& type "MRT". Run that.

Lastly, do a windows update & find yourself a decent AV such as NOD32.

EDIT:

I forgot, sometimes there are pesky infections in which the above do not resolve...if all else fails,

run ComboFix: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

CaptainTrips

15 minutes to shut down??

your on vista arent you???

get windows 7 ASAP!!!

Vista and Windows 7 are about 95% the same. I ran Vista for a couple years. Windows 7 is a nice upgrade, but nothing wrong with Vista. Just made a bad first impression which people still assume is true. Most the early problems were drivers, which Windows 7 would have gone through had Vista not bridged that gap...

Hazy Lady

Prom Night Dumpster Baby
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The problem is with the last Firefox release, basically it's crap!.
I had the same problem and more since the new version went in, I have removed and re-downloaded 3 times and no improvement.
It started closing now for no reason, just the message it 'encountered' a problem and has to close, you have no time to save anything and seems to happen during any long post, especially if you posted loads of pics just to pee you off even more, I use Flock now where Firefox is recommended and no problems since. F*** Firefox before it F*** you :bashhead:

ItIsTime

I've stuck with Chrome. I only use firefox or IE when website compatibility becomes an issue

Chrome is the SHIT!

Hal's problem probably wasn't his PC, but probably software-related (OS issue, browser issue, infection, etc.)

H

Hal

Yeah, I'm going to get a new computer. I'm looking at a Dell laptop called the Studio 15, this one is being sold at Costco, normal price is $700 but Costco has a $150 price reduction, so final price is $550.

It got pretty good reviews from people who expect/demand more from their computers than I do. Costco doubles the warranty period from 1 to 2 years as well.

It has Windows 7 OS on it, which got pretty good reviews on Cnet.com.

My current computer is about 6 years old, geriatric for sure.

J

JackTheGrower

Dual boot here.. Red Hat Fedora 12.. But yes the HD problems will cause errors and slow things down.

Have a look at your Hard-drives log. It will tell you if it's having errors.

I have a 1.5 tb that gets too hot and will shut down to a read only volume.. Oh well.. @$99 1.5 TB isn't too expensive.. I see they have 2 TB's now for $129

Linux also allows full HD encryption.

Noobian

Green is Gold
Veteran
Yeah man I had the same thing happening to me last couple weeks, Firefox just crashing out and that stupid error message coming up. I had been using Chrome and Firefox but just the Chrome exclusively since it started happening. Firefox is not as good as it used to be imo

Latest posts

Latest posts