What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How do you Take your Steak?

steppinRazor

cant stop wont stop
Veteran
I'm a fiend for food cooked onna Grill and to me it doesnt get any better than a fat juicy slab of beef simmering on the rack..

I'm more of a medium-rare type a guy, with all the fixin's, sauteed mushrooms, yellow onion, and garlic,
baked potato on the side (im talking real baked potato ) butter, shredded cheese, bacon, sour cream, chive.. and of course salt(sea) and course pepper (usually baked into the skin)
maybe some grilled shrimp on the side and cant forget the caesar salad..

Tonight i aimed for a straight up rare ribeye just over an inch thick seared about 4-5 minutes total.
looked kinda like this beast maybe a little more bloodied up
64995384_02b32f077e.jpg

wasnt bad at all but i think next time i may add a few more minutes to get it lookin a bit more like that pic, if not just a tad over that.

Whats up IC?? Any Grill Chefs in the house?? tips? secrets? pics?

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Rare - bordering on 'raw' is my preferred method of cooking if the meat is a premium quality cut of beef.

My opinion is that the better quality (i.e. Kobe beef) then less cooking is the preferred method.

YMMV

CC

ArcticBlast

It's like a goddamned Buick Regal
Veteran
i've never had a rare steak, explain to me why you'd order it! and i'm seriously asking, i'm not a vegetarian or anything lol, i'm just afraid of eating raw meat :joint:

ArcticBlast

Presto_D

Now that looks tasty!
I do a lot of shopping at Costco, and a lot of their meat rivals what we used to pick up at our favorite butchers.
I got hooked on their filet mignon! Yum!
Now I've never had it from anywhere else but Costco, but you can cut it with a fork, it's so tender. Even when I accidentally cook it way past medium.

I like it in a pan, rather than on a grill. These cuts are very thick, and I don't quite like it blue in the middle. Yet. I'm developing a better appreciation all the time.

So, in a pan, with lots of olive oil, since that's a very lean cut of meat. I also like Costco's Montreal steak seasoning, and their smoky paprika.

Sometimes that's almost overkill on the filet mignon though, it's real good with just the olive oil to keep it from sticking in the pan.

I suspect that to some I may have just spoken a lot of sacrilege about such a fine cut of meat. A pan! Flavors other than bacon! O.O

i've never had a rare steak, explain to me why you'd order it! and i'm seriously asking, i'm not a vegetarian or anything lol, i'm just afraid of eating raw meat :joint:

ArcticBlast

Cooking it changes some of the flavor, no harm in eating rare steak, the harmful stuff is only on the surface of the meat so it takin care of when its heated, ground beef is another story since its all mixed up it should be cooked all the way through but ive always had mine rare.

Like mentioned above, the better the steak the less you cook it. Cheaper steaks tend to be tougher when rare than the quality ones.

SoloGro57

I like mine with fresh crushed garlic, lots of pepper, and just a pinch of salt, grilled to the medium side of medium rare. Ribeye is my favorite cut, but I will settle for just about anything else.

Always grilled, after being allowed to warm to near room temp. For good grill marks (the carmelization makes it much better imo) I always blot the meat dry so that it's not steamed when it hits the hot grate. Two minutes a side, on a very hot grill, then I turn the temp down to about 450, and cook til it reaches the desired internal temp.

I recently got one of those meat thermometer bbq forks, and found that it helps me get the steak to the exact level of doneness I'm looking for, which is helpful when I'm cooking for guests who all have different preferences.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I own and use one of the ceramic BBQ units known as the 'Big Green Egg' and with these units you're able to his temps of 1000F+

That's the temps used by the big time steak houses like Ruth Criss, Morton's, etc.

It's the best steak you'll ever eat.

CC

ArcticBlast

Veteran
i'm gonna order a bloody steak when i get my tax return back and i'll do a smoke report for you guys lol :joint:

ArcticBlast

ArcticBlast

Veteran
when someone orders a steak "bloody as hell", the shit is still at least hot, right? i mean you're not eating cold bloody meat are you?

ArcticBlast

SoloGro57

Very Rare

Very Rare

when someone orders a steak "bloody as hell", the shit is still at least hot, right? i mean you're not eating cold bloody meat are you?

ArcticBlast

Yeah some people love it that way. Google Steak Tartare. You don't see it ordered very often, and these days, I imagine that many places don't even offer it due to liability issues, but it's basically seasoned ground beef with a raw egg and some capers and onions on top.

Beef sushi isn't for me, but it takes all kind of people.

SoloGro57

As long as the animal is healthy, the muscle is essentially sterile until It's cut and exposed to the air. A half a minute on the grill sterilizes the surfaces and the meat inside is still sterile. The key to avoiding food poising is proper handling and preparation.

The problem with ground beef is that so much of it's surface area has the potential to be exposed to pathogens. If it isn't cooked immediately after grinding, the bacteria that can be picked up get a chance to multiply and once they exist in significant numbers they can cause serious illiness.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
ah yes...STEAK! had a 24 oz ribeye for last birthday, big plate of steak fries & sauted mushrooms too. rare for me, if it doesn't flinch when i poke it with fork, it is too done. :biggrin:

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
rib eye steak exclusively:

medium well, zero pink, sauteed onion & mushrooms;
or I love to have a bit of Boursin w/bleucheese topper.

billy_big_bud!

Proud Cannadian Cannabist
Veteran
i only eat tenderloin and i make sure there is no pink left and it is still tender as fuck and delicious.