What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thundurkel Goes HID!!! 400w HPS DR80 grow need help!

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Whats up everybody! Yes that's right I finally broke down and decide to say fuck it and get a Secret Jardin DR80 tent and I want to run a 400w system in there and not sure what to get since I've been all about CFLs hahaha... I was looking at the Hydrofarm Sunburst System 400w convertible MH/HPS for $200 without the bulb and I'd probably get a CMH bulb. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UTXGYS

But my issue with that setup is the ballast being in the tent and I don't think it's digital. So I've been looking at the NextGen and Lumatek digital ballasts but if I go that way I would have to get a cheapo batwing reflector but I wanted a sealed hood or cool tube but I'm on a budget of $550 and still have to get my fan, carbon filter and air pots..
My tent is going to cost me $175 after shipping and I want to do this shit right no ghetto grow this time lol PLEASE HELP! Even if I argued and talked shit to you in the past I have seen the light so to speak cuz I want to go bigger. I'm still going to run my perpetual CFL cab too but I could really use some advice on what to go with :joint:

M

MacGyver420

for what its worth the xtrasun ballasts are cheap and the daystar ac reflector has worked very well for me at a footprint of around 4x4 foot (i use 600 watt though)

as far as i know CMH only runs on magnetic ballasts not digital

i orginally planned on buying the grow tent as well but then quickly scrapped the idea in favor of black and white poly, duct tape, and 2x2's as the massivly cheaper option, and i could custom build it to any size i wanted just took a little bit of creativity.. did it straight up jorge cervantes style and it works great

i think that after reflector, ballast, light, and fan, you might be in the $550 range if you can be thrifty about it. but if you add a carbon filter you going to need either a 2nd fan for it if you choose to go aircooled reflector and that might shoot you up into the $750 range

M

MacGyver420

heres a mock up of what im talkin about i made this when i was building mine to try and get an idea of how much wood to buy and how big things would be you can see the top hole is for mounting an exhast fan while the lower holes are intakes
light is designed to hang in center
picture.php

MrBomDiggitty

Veteran
LOL. I laughed at myself so hard after making the upgrade. I think you will look back and do the same. No doubt you picked up some skills and experience with the ghetto grow though.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Thundurkel, check out ebay if nothing more than to compare prices. I bet you can get a 400w remote ballast and hood for ~$200. I've also seen several 400w size tents shipped for $99.00. I know you don't want cheap crap but some of the stuff looks pretty good. Many fans and filters to choose from. IMO, HTG supply is one of the best, a one stop shop that ships discreet. You can shop direct with them if you want to bypass ebay.

EDIT: when you get a few extra bucks to spend, get a 400w HPS to finish your buds. Just my 2c

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Ok so I looked around on Ebay and found everything I need, so I think I'm gonna go with a Lumatek Digital 400w 120v Ballast, HTG Cooltube, Hortilux Bulb, and a Hydro farm Inline Booster Fan 188 CFM for my light and then I can get these 4" AC fans that are 110 CFM for $18 each! they have worked great in my CFL cab so I figure 2 of those for intake and exhaust and use the hydrofarm fan to hook up to the cooltube... after shipping this is all going to run me $550 including my 10pack of 3 liter Air-Pots !!!!

Quazi

Ok so I looked around on Ebay and found everything I need, so I think I'm gonna go with a Lumatek Digital 400w 120v Ballast, HTG Cooltube, Hortilux Bulb, and a Hydro farm Inline Booster Fan 188 CFM for my light and then I can get these 4" AC fans that are 110 CFM for $18 each! they have worked great in my CFL cab so I figure 2 of those for intake and exhaust and use the hydrofarm fan to hook up to the cooltube... after shipping this is all going to run me $550 including my 10pack of 3 liter Air-Pots !!!!
Sorry for yelling but I guess you missed this part about CMH and I don't want you to waste any money:
CMH WILL NOT RUN ON DIGITAL BALLAST UNLESS IT'S A SPECIALTY DIGITAL BALLAST

The digital ballasts you're looking at will be fine for other HID, but CMH needs a specialty digi (of which there are only 2 or 3) or a regular magnetic sodium ballast.

You'll love the tent :)

Good luck in your travels!

-Q :rasta:

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
No worries don't mind my yelling either haha but DID YOU SEE I SAID HORTILUX BULB THIS TIME LOL yea I'm not gonna go CMH cuz I want to go with a digital ballast pretty sure after looking them over compared to magnetic since they burn the bulb brighter and use less electricity at least thats what they say haha. But this will be the deal breaker right here, my tent will be going next to my desk where my computer and internet are so will I be able to run a digital ballast without messing with my computer??? I heard they fuck with your radio and shit like that but that was a while back and I think that may have been worked out by most companies right?

America

If you're not dead set on the jardin you could get one size up and get a Growlab 120 here for $175 shipped (the same price) and have more space. The latest revision of the growlabs have major improvements such as zipper blockers for the inside (potential leaks) and they send replacement corner pieces, which are made of ABS plastic and are very strong, unlike many other tents. Overall, the tents have a lot of little things that other tents don't have. It just works, well.

That store also has the 600w quantum digital ballast for the same price, which is the cheapest digital ballast on the market. It is also the only UL Listed digital ballast on the market as well. I'd opt for that if you're really looking to go bigger than your perpetual sog. I switched from the rubbermaids to this and its awesome. You can get the can33 filter and a vortex from the same site at a cheaper price than anywhere I've found.

I've spent a few weeks bargain hunting all over the web and always came back to this setup.

Good luck in whatever you decide on, though! The tent along with the perpetual sog will have you swimming in green!

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
Thundurkel - Good choice moving up to a DR80/400w. Make sure to get a remote ballast and reflector. You don't want all that ballast heat in the tent with the plants. I would suggest getting an aircooled reflector to help keep temperatures down.

This is essentially what I run (filter, fan, and ducting not included):

http://www.plantlightinghydroponics...ps-120v240v-electronic-grow-light-p-1778.html

As for CMH I'm not sold on it. Digital ballasts can fire both MH and HPS lamps. Use a MH during veg, and the HPS in flower. You'll see how good things can get:

picture.php

Best of luck to you,

-Funk

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Really??? The T5 grown buds were more potent? cuz I plan to hang 2 shop light clamp reflectors with Y sockets in them with 2 42w CFLs 1 2700k and 1 6500K in each and I think that would increase resin production and quality a bit right?

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Oh my GAWD! The sky is falling! It's the first sign of the apocalypse! Oh, the humanity! Say it ain't so, ThundurJoe!

Just jokin'. Break a stem.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
bad reflector, get a SS2, and get a CMH and ballast from here

cool tubes suck also

only you can make the decision on digital or magnetic. I'm not sure I believe the new ballasts claims ( I have a digital 600 ). I think hortilux ran a test or digital vs. coil. sure you can find the test on there website..

Quazi

Cool tubes suck?

Ummm...

Okay...

Wonky statement.

As for digital VS magnetic?

I'll take the one I won't be replacing every 2-3 years thanks :)

Yea, they hum, they're heavy and they produce some heat, but they just work.

-Q :rasta:

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
I'm really liking these Quantum 600w Digital Ballasts since they have that dimmer function I could save money on power in the early stages of growth. Now I just need to find a cheap enough 600w HPS bulb

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Skip the digital for now, you'll be glad you did later.

Don't worry about the ballast in the tent, cause your heat issues won't be so much with a 400w. Edit: Ooh, 600w? Awesome, definitely go magnetic as they last and last and last. :D

Use a Stanley Utility fan for your fan, works awesome with my 1K HPS. :D Got a window you can put an A/C unit in? :D

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
To post images, create an album here at IC. Upload images to album. Use Post Reply (not Quick Reply) Click My Photos (insert) link at the right of the message window. Click on your image of choice and the code is generated for you inside your message.

M

MacGyver420

I would like to post a couple of images from Marijuana Grow Basics that might help here, but, they are located on my computer and I do not know how to move them to this post. I try and they ask for a website link.

is this the real jorge?!!
:bow:

you have to upload them into your icmag album first
then you can insert them by going advanced when you post
and clicking insert under my photos