What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

150hps vs 150w cfl

RexDark

So I had to put off my first grow on here due to some money problems and security issues, but within the next two weeks Im starting up at a friends house.
The growth size is 1x1 and 4 feet high
The problem is I can't decide which to use a 150w hps or 150w of cfl, 200w clf is also a possible, I'm going to grow prepetual. Heat is my main concern.
I want some hints and tips on which I should use, dont want people just saying its better to use hps than cfl and such want some actual stats since Ive seen good results from both on here but have never used a hps when growing but have used cfl and flours

RexDark

I was thinking does any one know the plant usable lumens of both and what the disipation is after 2 1/2 to 3 feet of both?

Roortokeage

The more light the better. and you cant compare the 2 lights. You can google yourself and see the lumens each puts out. I think a 150 CFL puts out around 9000 or more Lumens, while a 150 HPS, I think does over 12000k Lumens

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
The 150w HPS in that small of a space will be a challenge to keep cool and will subject the plants to a lot of infra-red. You can do it but you'll have an easier time going with multiple 23w cfls in that space. :D

S

ScoobyDoobie

Yeah, heat is going to be your biggest concern. The main question is are you going to have good ventaiation or great ventilation? 1'x1' is a very small space, i dont really see being able to even put a 150w hps in a box that small without having to spend more money on a exhaust fan that can cool that area enough to grow something worth while in it... I would go with as many CFL's as you can fit in that kind of space.

jgrow

What you should try doing is using some some 42 watt cfls, and possibly a couple smaller 23-26 watt cfls for lighting underneath, CFLs dint penetrate much.

Leafmold

Hi
200 w cfl puts out 13000, the heat is minimal compared to HPS. they do need to be cooled as they can blow , from my experience. Tho it could have been faulty.

RexDark

I found some good squirle caged fan, they are about 2x2 inches and I was going to put 4 on and run it through one filter through pvc pipes, if I did the hps, I can wire up a hps ballast not that hard to do, was thinking about setting up 3 of these towers with only using about 450w on lamps and another 150w on cooling limited to about 6-7 amps on a breaker. I know the lumens and all that Im talking about plant usable lumens since plants dont use the same spectrum we can see, Im wondering witch puts out more of plant usuable light the cfl or the hps between using 150 in each cab or 100 in each for 4, looking for what would be the best in that 1x1 space.

cooling is a major problem with hps. I'd wait till you have extra cash to buy proper ventilation system. Never used a 150w but 1kw almost needs a cool tube, I spent as much cooling my light as I did buying it. As you pointed out, you have to add the extra energy spent cooling the lights in when figuring out how efficient they are. As you know cfls are pretty easy, and cheap.

CalcioErba2004

CalErba
Veteran
Ok 1 square foot of space that is 4 feet high, I'd use cfls all around 1 plant. HPS would be a bitch to cool in that space unless you already have a ventilation system set up. If you do have ventilation figured out, use a 150w hps and supplement down the sides with cfls. :joint:

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
I've never used HPS and Cal is right.

However, I can see your fan leaves getting burned. 1 foot may not be enough space for vertical growing. Burned leafs aren't that bad. Definitely not pic of the week stuff. You'll most likely have to tie off any branch, of plan to grow just a main cola.

Leviathan

your going to have tremendous heat problems with the hps, go to home depot, buy one or two 2700k 68 watt jumbo cfls , one by one ft isnt much space, and 68 watts per square ft is pretty dam good- u might want to get really clever and do something most of the people on here never do, NOT wASte SPAce,, 4ft tall would give u room for a two story grow, one 68 on each might really do u right and u could cool it with a computer fan.

i have a question regarding cfls....

i am currently using 4 55w cfl that have 5000K (which is deep blue light)

my friend recommends getting some red lights (1500-3000k) for flowering...does anyone know where i can get these lights at? local hydro store?

RexDark

I was thinking of a multistaged system Leviathan and I have seen those 68 watts and been thinking about getting them, my concern with them is the heat from a 68 watt have you used one yourself?

Leafmold

i have a question regarding cfls....

i am currently using 4 55w cfl that have 5000K (which is deep blue light)

my friend recommends getting some red lights (1500-3000k) for flowering...does anyone know where i can get these lights at? local hydro store?
Hi
I found my lights and bits from googling what i was after.

Leafmold

Hi
As for the cooling of the cabinet, I use computer fans some run on mains power, some on twelve volts. They are designed to be left on, and most of them are quite n readily available.
Health n Peace

smokeymacpot

Veteran
i would go for the 150hps over cfls, simply cos hps is far better at growing and higher yeilding. might want to use a cooltube for it tho...

Noobian

Green is Gold
Veteran
Big CFL's are just as hard to cool in a small space as a 150. Like smokey said I would go with the HID over the CFL's but that's just my opinion. If you could get away with it you should just do both, one 150 with a couple 13 or 26w CFL's in there for additional lighting

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Those of us that have actually used a 150w HPS in such a small space will all agree. For the first time grower, it will be much less hassle and much more likely to succeed if you go with cfl's to start with.

You'll also grow decent meds and learn a lot about what not/to do.