What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

first time organics strawberry banana

Papa-Woodie

Hello my fellow cultivators!

This is my first attempt at a soil/organic grow. I've been growing dwc for about a year now. What started off as an unrooted cutting that died on me in 2 weeks quickly grew into 2 tents (perpetual) beside my bed running a fast expanding dwc grow. Storage bins from Canadian tire for veg, 5gal home depot buckets for flower. When only a few plants were growing, it was fairly easy i thought. Just buy nutrients, ro water, measure ppm, ph, water temp, room temp, and humidity daily and adjust as needed, change water every week. Didn't expect growing dwc to be nearly so... painful!

Then the "BBQ" happened. 4 weeks from harvest and an unexpected knock at the door... No warrant no enter and within an hour everything was gone.

Now, acmpr legit, 25 indoor 4 outdoor and not only have i said FUCK THE BOTTLES, but FUCK PH too! Let the soil life do all the work for ya.

Once i got my papers all sorted out, i started up again but this time a simple organic route. Why make things more complicated.

BTW just want to give a shout out to Rasta Jeff from irie genetics and the "grow from your heart podcast". It was his guests Frosty and Jeff who steared me onto the organic path. Cultivation podcasts, what a great way to spend your work day.

My soil recipe is very simple.
T5 4' 4lamp 2x 6500k 2x 2700k, 4100k led strip between bulbs 2 and 3
Seeds/cuttings in rapid rooters (cfl)
Solo cups promix-hp
For veg
2.5 gal square pots (max 10 in 2x4 tent)
Promix-hp
20%worm castings
4tbsp/gal Gaia green 4-4-4 organic fert.
1tbsp/gal dolomite lime
Foliar spray with seaweed extract
Casting tea every week
Molasses every other watering
2 months in veg

Flower tent (5x5x8)
5gal fabric pots.
4x 1000w full spectrum LED(230 actual draw, can't wait to get a cmh in there too)
Promix-hp
20% worm castings
5% high potassium bat guano
4tbsp/gal 2-8-4 gaia green power bloom
1tbsp/gal dolomite lime
Feed teas once a week and molasses every other feeding.
Top dress with castings at week 4

Only RO water

Shy of measuring ph for the first month i haven't touched my metres and my girls are looking amazing.

I currently have 2 phenos of strawberry banana and one grand daddy purp.

One of my strawberry banana took right of as soon as flower started. And she is BEAUTIFUL easily buds twice the size of her sister. Can't wait to get the tent full of her.

I really miss the growth rate of the dwc but my dwc girls NEVER looked our smelt so great. I can't wait to harvest! The strawberry banana actually smells like strawberry banana. Tried a sample bud earlier just to see. Decent buzz and already burning white ash. Even with flushing my dwc grown was never pure white ash.

It looks like I'm having a little problem uploading pictures of my girls. I'll have to hop on the actual computer tomorrow and get those up.

What does one do with old soil? Reamend and reuse? Throw into regular garden? Just add the next plant after removing the root ball?

sounds good man! looking forward to the pictures.
i have the same concern about used soil. feels so wrong to throw it at the dumpster. should be pritty easy to re-use it with the right knowledge.

good luck!

Papa-Woodie

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Papa-Woodie

Sorry for the delay in getting pix up. Things have been busy.

All close bud pix are roughly 35 days into flower.from first pic we got pheno 1 of strawberry banana, pheno 2 of strawberry banana,the veg tent, veg girls moved into flower plus a few spices and veggies in the different pots, and a close up of pheno 1.

Papa-Woodie

A few side notes. Pheno 1 immediately took off when moved into flower, very fast rooting of clones, and super fast veg growth compared to the other strawberry banana. The buds are BIG and dense, heavy resin production, and a fruity smell that's damn near orgasmic.

Pheno 2 is a little slower at rooting, vegging and flowering. Her buds are a little smaller and less compacted, but the entire stem is straight bud at this point vs a few spaces between flowers on pheno 1.

The grand daddy purp is free seed from order and looks decent enough, very crystally and naturally bushy.

We also have some spinach, chives, parsley, carrots, and basil growing in the back of the tent just because why not use the extra soil for food.

Papa-Woodie

I have yet to see any pests, but since the tents are inches from my bed, just the thought of a spider mite infestation creeps me the fuck out. Does anyone have any advice for organic preventitave pest management. I haven't been able to find neem oil locally and the grow store just recommends cans of dr doom.

Latest posts

Latest posts