What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Colloidal silver and the F1

Superauto

If we buy feminized seeds they will be F1 or?
But if we take these feminized F1 seeds and use colloidal silver on these as well, will the offspring be equal to the uniform F1 or will the offspring be just like other F2's, just a mess with all sorts of combinations?

purple_man

Veteran
high fambz!

sorry to disappoint you, but the way the game is run nowdays, no one knows what the feminized beans are made out of lineage-wise (same goes for regular ones), since everyone and their momma are slapping "brand" names on unconfirmed "elites" etc...

anyhow, doesn't really matter if you hybridize a regular male and a regular female, or 2 females via induced sexreversal.... all that counts is the genetical parents of both sides (you need 2 unrelated inbred genotypes, either beyond F6 or S3) ...

blessss
ps.: if you cross a S1 to eachself youll get S2, if it's supposedly an F1, you'll get a feminized F2)

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A quick study of Mendelian theories, alongside the knowledge of the lineage of the stock you are working with, will definitively answer your question.

djimb

Veteran
Assuming the feminized seed was made from two unrelated parent strains, it would be a feminized f1. If you reversed one of those plants and pollinated another with it, it would be an f2, and so on.

If the seed you bought was the result of pollinating a plant with pollen produced by reversing a clone of the same plant, it would be an s1. Repeating that process would produce an s2, etc.

Selfing will much more quickly show variation and cause inbreeding depression in a line than a familial cross, with an s1 generation being phenotypically similar to an f2.

A lot more can be said about the merits of each technique, but it sounds like you're only trying to produce some seed to preserve a line you like, not looking for an in depth discussion of breeding.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
420giveaway
Selfing will much more quickly show variation and cause inbreeding depression in a line than a familial cross, with an s1 generation being phenotypically similar to an f2.

I would say it depends.

GoatCheese

Veteran
Some female seeds we buy are F1 crosses (two different strains) but some are seeds from selfed plants, so S1 seeds.
-
-
I haven't read much about this, never made any fem-seeds yet, but don't they say that genes transfer to the offspring differently when the female is sex-reversed? ..something about genes splitting or something like that?

I have little experience with UK Cheese f1 hybrids and also S1 seeds (Greenhouse's Exodus Cheese) and from my experience the real Cheese traits are expressed more naturally in the F1 Cheese hybrid plants, than in the GHS ExCheese S1 seeds. I have grown 10 GHS Ex Cheeses.

When i grew a 10 pack of Cheeseberry (UK Cheese x Blueberry) most plants, if not all, had very UK Cheese-like terps, while only one of the GHS plants was somewhat like UK Cheese. I have also grown few Chunky Cheese plants and i noticed the same thing going on in that line too. That one's with Deep Chunk male(s)

Thou the GHS plants very stinky and interesting, my ten girls weren't very close to the real deal.

So, cause this little experience i have tells me UK Cheese is better and more real-like in normal F1 hybrids , it would also suggest that genes don't seem to transfer the same way to the S1 offspring than they do in normal female x male cross.

How does all this work if the sex-reversed female is crossed to another female, but not to herself, this i don't know.
Will the reversed female be little "deluted" compared to the traits from other (non related)female that was just pollinated, not reversed? Would it express herself better it the other girl was reversed instead of this one?

Next point..
Because the GHS Ex Cheese plants were phenotypically quite different to each other, some are short some tall-n-lanky, this also shows that if the sex-reversed female doesn't come from uniform line, well selected and inbred line, then maybe the S1 seeds aren't going to be that uniform. But of course some plants work better in S1 seeds than their sisters from the same line.

This doesn't mean the S1 seeds of an unstable female wouldn't be any good, it means they can be quite different to the selfed female parent. Thou i'm sure there are parent-like plants in the S1s as well.
:)

Betterhaff

Veteran
There isn’t any additional genetic information added when an S1 is made so it really depends on the stability of the plant selfed. If traits are homozygous, they will also be fixed in the cross.

Latest posts

Latest posts