What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

We grow vegetable gardens too! Post your Garden pics here

Really? Do you notice your compost and castings quality deteriorate or anything? I don't want to buy the best compost I can and then mess it up with the chlorine/chloramines.

I was thinking of maybe adding a thick mulch of biochar to kind of act like a filter but idk it might hold too much..

Biosynthesis

Veteran
One way would be to pour it into a big container and let it set exposed to the elements for a few days and this should render chlorines inactive. Large kiddie pool comes to mind. but then you have the hassle of pumping it from the kiddie pool or whatever you choose to use. Not to sure what RO is? although I see people talking of it an awful lot. Perhaps you can explain what RO is to me. Im sure theres better less labor intensive ways but thats what came to my enebriated mind. Im using water straight from a spring. Have had it tested and everythings cool. Sorry I couldnt be of more help.

I had a garden in town years ago and it did just ALRIGHT with untreated city water, but as I recall I got compliments on it so its doo-able.

Yeah I was thinking about that method to storing the water in tanks to evaporate the chlorine but then I found out my city also has chloramines in the water and it doesn't evaporate. Ro stands for reverse osmosis its just a water filtering system that is supposed to get rid of chlorine and chloramines completely or to a really low ppm. Thanks for trying to help and sorry no pics of veggie garden for your thread..

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
OrganicLearner

If you're concerned you could go with a massive airstone from Lake-Aeration.com and their largest is this one which measures 7" x 1.5" shown below.

CWAS-FF41.jpg

Run this in a 50 gallon tank with a large air-pump for a few hours and you'll have dechlorinated water. If your water company adds Chloramine then you can neutralize that by tossing in a couple of handfuls of compost into the tank as it will convert Chloramine to Chlorine and the airstone will take care of that.

An airstone like this runs $54.00 and you should expect to pay around $35.00 - $50.00 for a suitable air pump.

HTH

CC

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Also there are salmon that run up the creek in the fall and after spawn some lie dead on the bank. Collect them up and dig holes and plant them in the fall.

some serious organic farmers are stopping in. Awesome!! I buy a gallon Jug of fish emulsion about once a year for the garden to use in the tea mix. It doesnt say "ORGANIC" but what other kind of fish is there? Its just emulsified fish scraps from fish factories. Is this cheating in the eyes of staunch organic growers?

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Molasses also breaks down chloromine. I always let my molasses run in my teas for a day before I add the rest of the material. I also have a filter that should remove chlorine/chlorimine, but just in case.

Yeah good ideas cc,organic buds and biosynthesis i always wanted to try that trick burying the fish in the soil ever since i heard that tale of the indians doing it. I might just wait until I'm able to make enough compost for the veggie patch so I don't have to worry about wasting store bought and water it with plain tap and see what happens because I know if I have to do a ritual to water the veggies everytime I will eventually just get tired of it and just say screw it. But with making teas I wouldn't mind going out of the way to get the water cleaner..

Biosynthesis

Veteran
I see you dilemma OL. clackamas said its a bit overstated and i buy that. Ive seen very healthy gardens right smack dab in a metropolis. im sure the average joe doesnt give it a second thought.

OrganicBuds

Veteran
I see you dilemma OL. clackamas said its a bit overstated and i buy that. Ive seen very healthy gardens right smack dab in a metropolis. im sure the average joe doesnt give it a second thought.

The average Joe uses chemical fertilizer also, and we all know chlorine doesn't effect petrol products. However, I agree with your point.

Biosynthesis

Veteran
So whats peoples take on the fish emulsion. IS it considered organic. Ive always used the alaska since i was a youngster. The thing they started doing years ago is descenting it to make it less fishy smelling. How they are doing this I havent a clue?

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Bio

EarthFort.com is the marketing arm of Dr. Ingham's SFI organization. Here's a blurb on the differences between fish emulsion vs. fish hydrolysate from their web site store.

Fish hydrolysate is cold processed (minced, enzymatically digested and liquefied) to preserve proteins for quick turnover by microbes into nutrients for plants. This process distinguishes fish hydrolysate from fish emulsion which is processed with heat; removing oils (fungal foods) and denaturing nutrients and beneficial bacteria. Hydrolysate retains the natural oils from the fish that are a very potent fungal food.

Because of cold processing, fish hydrolysate must be stabilized at a low pH. We recommend hydrolysates that are stabilized with sulfuric or phosphoric acid.

Some nationally distributed sources of fish hydrolysate would be Neptune's Harvest, Organic Gem & others. There are however a number of regional hydrolysate products.

You can also make your own - it ain't rocket science

CC

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Thanks so much clackamas. Now that Ive got you here Ive been meaning to bring this up at an opportunity such as this.

Heres the thing. They used to sell Sulfur sprays for fruit trees. They took it off the market a number of years back. It worked KILLER for peach leaf curl. I run out of it last year and occasionaly you run into it at a garage sale or something. The new thing on the shelves is copper spray. It doesnt work anything like the sulfur.
Is there a way we could make that spray on our own?

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Bio

A couple of questions...

Does the Copper spray have anything on the label about it containing Copper Sulfate?

Do you remember the name of the Sulfur spray? Did the term 'Lime Sulfur' appear on the label perhaps?

CC

Biosynthesis

Veteran
clackamas

clackamas

Bio

EarthFort.com is the marketing arm of Dr. Ingham's SFI organization. Here's a blurb on the differences between fish emulsion vs. fish hydrolysate from their web site store.

Some nationally distributed sources of fish hydrolysate would be Neptune's Harvest, Organic Gem & others. There are however a number of regional hydrolysate products.

You can also make your own - it ain't rocket science

CC

Yup sounds like a way better product! I thought I would be blown away by the price but surprisingly it is comparable to emulsified fish.

:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts