What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Aeroponics for a beginner

notpot

hello I have setup my first aero system and I've got some issues maybe some of you could help with

I'm using Pure Blend Original Grow & Bloom, Calmag, Liquid Karma, Silica Blast, and some sm90 to keep the pyth down since my res is @ 70-77F

I'm getting this sediment that is precipitating out of the nutrient solution. its just about completely covered the res, and there is some sediment towards the drain end of the aero trays. The cuttings in the trays are also getting a black/dark brown sediment on them. The filter for the system is getting alot of the same black/brown buildup.

Is this normal? Is it because im using the organic pure blend stuff? i dont currently have anything running in the res but the 450gph pump and the return line. im not sure if this is adequate mixture/aeration. i've heard you should use a powerhead to keep the res mixed. but i bought one before and it didnt seem to do much. maybe i need to get a bigger one for the 25gal res?

I also have these emitters
Ihttp://www.misterlandscaper.com/mlgreenfulci1.html

are these sufficient for spraying the roots? I've seen emitters other people use, they seem to have some kind of mechanism that oxygenates the water as it is sprayed out? I havent been able to find any of these at the local home depot/lowes though. if i'm using emitters that dont oxygenate the water should i have airstones in the res? i was under the impression that oxygenating wasnt a big concern in aero since the roots are suspended in air

the roots seem to be growing, but not as fast as i expected. they are a yellow/light brown color. i dont know if this is discoloration from the nutes or some other problem? the roots i see in DWC are always like a fluorescent white it seems.

its only been 2 days since they started getting nutes, so I guess there shouldnt be too much growth, but like i said i expected to see more.

Once we get this working properly, I would love to post a howto thread on it, i think its a pretty lowcost method of setting up an aero system. All parts from home depot/lowes. Its alot easier to do something when you have instructions i think.

thanks

I can't wait til someone posts an answer. I'm doing a DWC grow and my main concern has been which nutes to use because there are so many choices out there. I'm still working on that and have to solve that problem by wednesday... plantin day!!

G

notpot... I'm using the same line up... with Pure Blend Pro insteady of the Pure Blend Original. I think PBO is primarily a soil nute, I may be wrong here. I have both but have not used the PBO in my aero or DWC.

I picked up the PBO because at one time I was going to do BOG's dirt formula.

PBP works just fine in DWC and aero with very little sedimentation.

I also have the SM-90 as well as Hydroguard. I prefer the SM-90 but use it very sparingly.

notpot

yes it says it can be used for hydro on the pure blend original bottle. some people have said pbo is better than pbp, but it seems to be causing some issues for me

G

Your right on track with your nutes, they work great in either hydro or soil.

There are alot of solids in the PBO and the settle out in a very short time. I use airstones and or powerheads to help keep the nutes suspended in the water. The nozzles tend to clog with the concentrated sediment pulling through the pump. Look at the 360 degree "green" misting nozzles and stay away from the rotating assemblies if you have an option. Look on texashydroponics.com in their "hydro system parts" area.

Sediment buildup is normal and is just the nature of the beast, just try and keep the nutreint solution circulating.

Look at Blatant's grows, he runs a similar system with great success

Yex

Last edited:
G

aerocloner spinners can be found much cheaper than $12 usd. google for them and they can be found for around $.75 apice. I use the clone spinners withthe red base. They are threaded and do provide adequte oxygen without using an air pump.

Good luck on your aero grow!

Avid

Latest posts

Latest posts