What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any Drummers Out There?

I Used To Grow

Well...I really just want to get a kit and see how it goes..I've seen them on Ebay for around $200...

so I'm planning on spending like $200 or so

G

ahh shit ok your here, cool. so ebay u thinking?? i'm checking it out right now..

G

a few considerations i spotted at ebay...

MAPEX 5pc. DRUMSET
..excellent deal but dude has no feedback. That's a risk cuz he's a noob first time ebayer with no reputation or a scammer, but might be worth talking to him to check his deal out, an excellent deal especially with the cymbals included. Mapex would be a great first kit.

4-PIECE-TAMA-ROCK-STAR-SET
.. looks like a nice deal/kit in your $200'ish range, find out if it he has the bass pedal hardware. Then u would just need to buy a snare. See those deep toms? :yummy:

Gretsch set..No Reserve

If your looking at those $199.00 buy it now packages from Titan or Gammon, they should work ok & you can always upgrade your hardware later down the road. Hardware can tend to crap out with the cheapo no name drum manufactures. A good bass pedal for example is really essential if you want to seriously learn how to develop your chops, so even if you bought a chepo
package you could always upgrade to a nicer pedal with good action later down the road.

If you can find a brand name kit one that real drummers play in your price range that's the better route to take for sure.
better hardware
better wood..so better sound
and better re-sale value when you decide to upgrade
you can always add on to your kit ez if it's from a well known brand.

If u live in major city.. definitley hit craigslist as someone already mentioned
and for sure pawnshops. If you have any specific questions with what your looking at, don't hesitate to ask.
good luck I.U.T.G!!

Last edited:

Sinfuldreams

Basement Garden Gnome
Veteran
Drumming has to be the hardest thing to do WELL.
I can keep a beat for a few measures, then loose it.
Bad drumming sounds like hell and can other wise screw a good band.

Now get out there and chop some wood fellas.

Sin

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
Rather than beating on a bucket and sounding like crap, buy a practice pad and work on your rudiments with something that has the same feel and bounce of a drum:

http://search.ebay.com/practice-pad-drum_W0QQfkrZ1QQfnuZ1

That's what the pros do, and you won't drive away your friends, family and neighbours.

This one is reasonably priced or you can buy used even cheaper. Much more cost effective than a drum kit to see if you can get the hang of it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-COBALT-RIVE...7QQihZ013QQcategoryZ10175QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck!

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
Awesome Bonsai,

I was gonna point you this way for some of your expert advice but I am pleased to see you made it here on your own.

Is that a recent photo of the kit or isn't there a few new cymbals? China? Maybe it's out of frame.

***Everyone - Please don't buy a China unless you are good and tasteful, please!***LOL!

Thanks for the nice compliments! Rhythm section forever!

Bonsai is the guy you want to ask your drumming questions to, I Used To Grow.

No offense to other great drummers out there, but I know Bonsai and his drumming.

Time to roll a bomber.....

Last edited:
G

forgot to mention, NAMM is a month away so starting around Jan you should see Guitar Centers and all the other big retailers/e-tailers beginning to blow out inventory to make room for all the '07 stuff. You might just find a killer set for a great deal, so keep it mind. :yes:

Last edited:
G

I f you are just starting out, there are good starter sets for under $300.00
5 peice complete w/ hardware and cymbols! Made by some of the leading drum makers. Pulse for instance is a good set, I have one. I play guitar mainly but, I love playing the drums. And its nice to have a set at my house for my buddies!

Check musiciansfriend.com!

BonsaiGrower

Occasional User
HP... yes that shot was taken about a month back at a basement jam .. few new trinkets here and there since last time you saw it. few china splash and out of frame is the pang and 3 other crash...thanks for the props buddy...you made be blush with that one...no doubt there is a handful of seasoned and tasty drummers lurking on this site.

Drummers unite...lets see some photos of your rigs guys and gals ...

and keep in mind too folks that most stores have payment plans ...300 down and 100 a month for 12 months can put you behind a pretty slick kit. I'm lookin at buyin the new Tama Bubinga uni-tune kit in the next few weeks possibly.. if you have one show a month it should more than cover the monthly payment.

and the beat goes on

BonsaiGrower

Occasional User
OK here's an update for all you drummers... I just test drove the new Omni-Tune Bubingas from Tama ... and they are "ALL THAT and a cherry on top"!!! Folks they truely do sound like nothing you have played. Yes they are expensive but in my opinion ... not so humble when it comes to drumming ... (but I try) they are worth the money and I have my eyes set on a pair end of January first of February!!! If you can afford it or are a gigging drummer or Studio Session Player these are the drums to have. The ability to tune from the drivers seat is invaluable in a live or time sensitive studio session.

Just my 5 cents Peace everyone.... Lets see some of your kits...
keep in mind as long as nothing else is in the pic ... the chance of someone recognizing your drumset from the drivers seat is next to impossible. and if they do recognize it then they are a friend already.

My Kit posted has been in several videos and I'm totally willing to bet you couldn't figure out who I am from that. Best of luck trying though!!!!! Rock on fellow Drummers

Edit....and if you can figure it out?.... stop by...you know where I am and I'll have one rolled and ready for ya! You should already know then that I don't sell my stash!!! HA

Last edited:

I Used To Grow

sweet

I'm gonna be looking into all the suggestions that were mentioned and find one that I can afford.

thanks for all the responses and suggestions

I did check out that Vic Firth site and it has a ton of good info on playing the drums

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
"and if you can figure it out?.... stop by...you know where I am and I'll have one rolled and ready for ya! You should already know then that I don't sell my stash!!! HA"

Well in that case I'll be over to smoke that delicious doobie of LUI!

That is a super sweet kit. I was looking at it on the Tama site. That is very cool to be able to tune from the cockpit - invaluable!

Although most drummers I've seen are like, "Tune what? They make noise, isn't that enough?"

Congrats on the drums. You deserve it, man!

Last edited:
the hardest thing about the drums is getting all 4 of your limbs to work independently of each other. next thing is not to be intimidated by the drums themselves. i know the first time most people ever sit behind a drum set is often the last. its kinda like sittin in a jet fighter with absolutely no training whatsoever,...you're just like ...ummm.....ok....now what. in other words you will feel retarded, lol
another thing dont be afraid to play in frony of people if they know you are new at it than they know you are gonna suck,...now if they flat out tell you that you suck, then you do what any natural born drummer would do..........KICK THEIR ASS!!!

on a more serious note google Tony Royster jr. and check out some of his videos, especially the one when he was like 7yrs old. now that will do one of two things to you, either you'll want to throw your drums out the window, or you'll want to do nothing but practise. hopefully its the latter. good luck!

I Used To Grow

Well, I know that I have a place to play now..haha

I would watch videos of drummers..but I am stuck with dial up right now so it's not really possible.

I am going to go to the pawn shops today and see if they have any drum sets and or kits for sale..I know I dont' have any money but I can look

9Lives

three for playing, three for straying, and three f
Veteran
Chuck Biscuits my favorite drummer...Man i cant get enough of the guy! Guitar fan myself...but i have a few friends who make their living with drums..

I Used To Grow

I really want to see those educational vids on Vic Firth's site for drummers..the rudaments and stuff...

man, 2007 is going to PWN! :)

BonsaiGrower

Occasional User
I Used To Grow I know this may not be what you want to hear but the best thing you could do to at least get ya going is this....IMO

Go get a pair of pretty heafty sticks...like marching band style...good and heavy.

While you are there pic up a rudiment book...something with the basic 21 rudiments. The Drum tech at the store can help with that. Everything you will ever do on the drums is based on these rudiments. Just like the 12 chords for a guitar.

Now don't get frustrated cause it doesn't matter how coordinated you are and this is gonna be tough.

Start at the beginning of the book and just play on a pillow. This will help work on the specific muscles a drummer needs. (and I don't care if you are Arnold Swarzenager ...it's different) Plus you'll need to understand the basic math of how to break down drum notes. It's like fractions ...in ways. You shouldn't burden yourself with trying to play a kit till you at least have the "chops" in your hands. Sure, tap your foot to keep time and this will help with separating the body parts but don't stress about it....just keep trying to get all the basics down. This isn't so basic if you are honest with yourself and work on perfection of the rudiments. (just as any guitar player will tell you that the "Basic" 12 chords were tough at the beginning.)

Once you are feeling a bit more comfortable and have some rudiments in your skills go buy another pair of sticks and here's where it gets fun.....

Take a piece of wood and slam a nail in half way. Tie a shoe string to each tip of the sticks and bend the nail over the string....now work on your rudiments and keep the string tight....ie...one hand up...other hand down...this will help on accuracy and control.....

if you haven't lost your mind yet and are still gung ho to play the best instrument in the band....come back for lesson #2

Have a great X-Mas everyone ... hope you enjoyed my input here...say so either way...my ego can take it....ha...cheers

Here's a link to see some rudiments but it might seem daunting this way.....it's not really split up into the Easier Basic 21

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudiments

And remember to breath when playing....ha...after 35 years playing it's one thing I still have to remind myself of every now and then.

A rest is still a note ... less is better

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts