What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

SSH x SSH = SSH?

Super Silver Haze is one of my favorite strains, but man, is it expensive.

So I figured to make my own seeds out a pair of plants that flowered.

I now wonder if it's worth it to grow these seeds. Are they likely to have most of their parents characteristics, or would be a genetic crap shoot with all sorts of plants, including bad ones, taking over your garden?

GoatCheese

Veteran

I now wonder if it's worth it to grow these seeds. Are they likely to have most of their parents characteristics, or would be a genetic crap shoot with all sorts of plants, including bad ones, taking over your garden?
Well, SSH was never a stable hybrid, so your seeds won't be perfect copies of the parents,thou some individuals are more stable than others, but if the mother plant was good smoke it is quite likely atleast some of the seeds will be good too.
..but there's only one way of finding out for sure, ay.
Grow some and then you'll know. You don't have to grow a room-full of them if you're worried all your harvest will be crap.

NEED 4 SEED

SSH from Greenhouse was extremely unstable, nearly every plant in crosses is different, many many phenos. I have a hard time trying to get back the mother pheno from her offspring and grandchildren. But I'm still trying.

I used Mr. Nice's version of SSH.

I don't want to spend the time and resources growing out F2 seeds that aren't good. Would rather buy a new pack of SSH.

hazefreak

I used Mr. Nice's version of SSH.

I don't want to spend the time and resources growing out F2 seeds that aren't good. Would rather buy a new pack of SSH.

If your making fem seeds using 2 ssh phenotypes they should be similar but with variation, I think if you go the route of using male pollen it will widen the choice and possibly produce bad fruit. Not 100_ though id be keen to know more!

Ganja 13

You'll be getting a fem F2 of a very unstable Polly hybred . These F2's will produce more variability than the F1's. You'll find some gems in there if you run some numbers. Also remember these hybrids produce a percentage of so-so plants and a percentage of very special phenotypes. Good luck

grayeyes

This December I popped some SSH and now they are in flower. One of my females is a feminized seed but the vigor and structure are amazing. I had bought some seeds that were supposed to be SSH from a local grower. Now I can see that probably the regular seeds were crossed with something as my male flowers are a purple color. I think SSH male flowers should be white.

Anyone comment on this?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran

You should find plants that are similar to the SSH you grew and made seeds from because the seed you made are essentially Super Silver Haze. Do not be discouraged by the fact that SSH is unstable. It will never be stabilized for anything if somebody doesn't start that process first. You could be the person that does it if you choose that route. It is not a difficult route but it can be a time consuming one. The more plants you grow out the more you will know the variety, the better you will be at choosing what is good for you.
Plant some of those F2s and see what becomes of them. If you don't plant the seeds you will never know the potential they hold.

Happy Times

Just a thought, if you really like your lady/ladies you could “cube “ them to make more stable seeds. I’m no expert, but basically backcross best male from your F2’s back to your keeper lady(ies). Then repeat a couple times with the males from each succeeding seed crop. Each time the male you use is a higher % of the original mother’s genetics

Harpo

I've grown out Mr. Nice SSH.
The SSH plant appearance of F2 and 3's and 4's range from vine like to indica. Thin leaves
Taste remains haze, with a strong clean, clear high.
Not much smell. Much safer to have in public than stinky strains.

Last edited:

grayeyes

Talked to the guy I got these seeds from. We both grow outside and temperatures have been below 50 degrees. We both think that the cold is what is turning these purple. I have about 7 more weeks to find out.

NEED 4 SEED

I've grown out Mr. Nice SSH.
The SSH plant appearance of F2 and 3's and 4's range from vine like to indica. Thin leaves
Taste remains haze, with a strong clean, clear high.
Not much smell. Much safer to have in public than stinky strains.

My old SSH from GH was a perfect mix of sandalwood with lemon ,incense and a pee (cat/human) component, absolutely devastating high. Pretty racy if overdone, which happened regularily because of the tempting flavor. The seedplant was a 16 weeker because I lst'd her, the clones of it needed 12 weeks. I actually couldn't use it often because I got panic attacks from her. But I need that smell back.

Last edited:

Homebrewer

Veteran

You said SSH is one of your favorite strains so the answer is an obvious YES, it's worth growing out those seeds. What will the progeny look like? No one can say for sure. They could be stable, they could be all over the place. There is only one way to find out. I'd recommend going through as many as you have space for. Good luck in your search!

herbgreen

Veteran
I bet you find interesting things in the f2

mr. nice auctions might be a good place to pick up the f1

Then you can do both.......

grayeyes

Stability of SSH? If you read the stories about when Neville developed this you can understand why the strain is a little flaky. Neville moved through 3 different companies taking his seeds with him. Who else's hands were in it playing is anyone's guess.

I was concerned Roland when I saw the purple flowers on mine. But then I remembered the previous grower I got the seeds from telling me he also grew Durban. I am now thinking my seeds may have had Durban (14-16 week strain) crossing on the edges.

The nice thing is now in 5th week of flower and flowering abundantly, I am now seeing frost develop on these plants so early in the cycle. Guess we'll see what I got. One thing is for sure, the structure is SSH. But the flowering abundance is amazing.

The SSH I grew twice was from a single seed pack from Mr. Nice. All my plants were pretty uniform, varying only in relative vigor. Tall, spreading, sativa structure. Ready in 10-11 weeks.

I will try these seeds on some future grow. Thanks to everyone who replied.

Latest posts

Latest posts