What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

250 hps question

sergiana

Can anyone tell me what the electric bill cost might be roughly for 24hrs or use for 1 month of use?

Also is this choice of light likely to be spotted by smart meter and not be stealthy in that respect.

Its for autos so it would be on 24/7 so any vague guestimate you guys can give me would be appreciated.

I don't pay the electric so I don't know the rates and such. If it would be jacking it up too much perhaps I would lean toward a 150 hps.

Thx

fungzyme

Absolutely no way of figuring it out without knowing the electricity rates in your area. Your electric company should have rates posted on their website.

nukklehead

figure it as 4 xtra 60 watt light bulbs... it shouldnt run 24 hrs ( veg 18/6...etc) find some stuff to shut off around the house.. wa lah
your good to go:biggrin:

sergiana

Ok when you put it that way it does not sound too bad really I just don't want a high bill and the site for the power company confused me with their rate chart. :help:

So I was looking at a 400 dimmable and various led but I got a real tight budget so I'll figure it out here eventually.

Thanks for the input

Jnugg

Veteran
just look at the rates on your next electric bill don't pay attention to the first 1000 kilowatt hours if you use more than a that already. just pay attention to the " above 1000 kilowatt hours" rate.

simple formula is

watts/1000 x electric hours running x 30

so for example:

400w/1000= .4

.4 x .08 x 18 x 30 = $17.28

So where I live it would cost me around $17 to $20 to run a 400 watt high pressure sodium 18 hours a day for a month.