What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Autoflower Mentor

S_a_H

Autoflower Crusader
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It took awhile to finally convince those in power here to give us a Autoflower subsection and later I was chosen to be the Mod for the AF area and now we have our first AF Mentor. ( Not that the Mentor cannot help in other areas but to have one that hangs in the AF area is all the better. )

Please look to Mitch_Connor for help and guidance. :tiphat:

WTG Mitch...

S_a_H

blackosprey

Been following the mitch threads for a while now, he really pushes what can be done with a little work and a lot of auto-love.
congrats mitch.

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks guys, ever so much!

Big up to SAH for throwing my name in the hat, totally unexpected.

I'm by no means an expert, but I have grown out quite a number of AF's indoors now, so I'm always around if people want to PM me questions etc.

I'd been meaning to write an Auto-FAQ for sometime now, and I promise I will get on it, just have a busy next week at least.

Thanks again, Mitch

S_a_H

Autoflower Crusader
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm by no means an expert,

Its not so much being an expert but the wellingness to help those that need it. Sure it helps that any info you pass along is right but just understanding that there are newbies and with them come newbie questions with the grows they are doing.
The fact you help and do not sound like you are talking down to someone is the main thing and being on a lot.

Anyways goodluck.

S_a_H

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
naa man, the point is we were all newbies at some point in time.

If I feel I can offer a tip or edge someone in the right direction then i will try.

I just want to see AF's grown out to their full potential.

If it wasn't for people helping me out with basic advice years ago, then learning the rest through trial and error I wouldn't be where i'm at now (still learning but fucking up less)

Sprague

Congrats Mitch,

The only questions I have about AF is which strain has the fastest seed to harvest time and which has the highest yield, assuming these traits aren't in a single strain yet?

Krull

Soul Feeder
Veteran
Well done S_a_H and congratz to Mitch :yes:
S_a_H is right you dont need to be an 'expert' to be helpful mate; do your best, be patient and i'm sure you'll be fine (been there for a little while myself ;) ).

Good luck

=K

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Congrats Mitch,

The only questions I have about AF is which strain has the fastest seed to harvest time and which has the highest yield, assuming these traits aren't in a single strain yet?

If there was a strain like that then I think everyone would be growing it :)

It's a trade off, If you want a big yield (plant wise) you need a big plant to support it, to get a big plant it needs a longer veg period, so that extra time gets added on to the complete AF cycle time.

There are certain strains that bridge the gap, LR2, OGRE, SC, AK47 etc that will give you a fair yield for the time they take.

But wanting the extremes of yield or time, at the moment you get a plant to match, ie short & fast, or large & slow. IMO :)

Sprague

Thank you for the answers, I look forward to the FAQ.

In the short and fast category what strain would you say reigns for speed? I've read several that state 40 days. Is there faster?

The other interesting thing is the strains that flower always under a 12" as in the US some states they declare a mature plant as larger than 12" in any direction, it would seem if there is a source for these type of plants larger SOG operations could take place. The strain that comes to mind is MasterLow, but finding a source has been an undertaking. Do you know of other short/micro (under 12"/30cm) strains?

blackosprey

Thank you for the answers, I look forward to the FAQ.

In the short and fast category what strain would you say reigns for speed? I've read several that state 40 days. Is there faster?

The other interesting thing is the strains that flower always under a 12" as in the US some states they declare a mature plant as larger than 12" in any direction, it would seem if there is a source for these type of plants larger SOG operations could take place. The strain that comes to mind is MasterLow, but finding a source has been an undertaking. Do you know of other short/micro (under 12"/30cm) strains?
I can't even imagine one finishing in 40 days. I have a tough time even believing 60 days. As with regular flowering plants, I find that autos go for an additional 7-10 days over what most breeder packs say. That may be because I use a cfl setup, but I regress.....

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
HPS will speed up the process.

I started under cfl and it did take longer.

Some companies, I think greenhouse just stated the flowering time of their auto's. Add the seedling stage on and it'll be 60 days +

SGS told me of some of his early projects which were looking at producing super fast micro AF's for blanket cropping.

I harvested some AFs at 63 days from sprout this run showing some amber trichs, a week longer wouldn't have hurt though.

Also to the guy that Pm'd me regarding soil, post in here as it wouldn't let my reply get to you as you have used/stored your one PM messaging me :)

Sprague

I can't even imagine one finishing in 40 days. I have a tough time even believing 60 days. As with regular flowering plants, I find that autos go for an additional 7-10 days over what most breeder packs say. That may be because I use a cfl setup, but I regress.....

I went and re-read the deceptive descriptions and I may have mis-read them. Green-o-matic strain states flowering achieved in 5-6 weeks (35-42 days) and no listing of veg time on an auto flower it would be hard to tell without a germination to harvest time listing.

While on the subject is AF dominate trait, ie what percent should be expected AF in a F2 population?

Last edited:

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I haven't seen much of green-o-matic, I think I remember a guy doing them in hydro in this forum.

You could add 14-21 days indoor on to their flowering time if they count from the first visible pre-flowers.

If anyone has any sub 60 day AF's documented I'd like to see.

Do you mean your own 'F2's from autos you buy? or an Auto x Photo cross?

Sprague

I would assume F2 from autos would be auto, but a cross you would end up with a mix. However I think I just answered my own question, at the very best you could expect 25% would be auto at F2 on a cross?

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Basically if you buy autoflower seeds, and they all auto by themselves (no reducing light hours etc to trigger them in to flowering or any other kind of malarky)

Then AF x AF = AF,

The trait *should* be well locked down by the breeder before you are buying anything labelled auto.

If you cross an Auto to Photo to make a new F1 hybrid, you won't see any Auto's until you make F2's of those. (unless you are using a strain known to to semi-auto guerilla gold as an example as your NON-AF parent, then you may see some in the F1's)

Latest posts

Latest posts