What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Flushing with Kool aid

Grinchy

Flushing with Kool aid - Anyone tried it? Lot's of people use molasses or carboload right? Would it serve the same purpose, I understand it is processed sugar, but it's still sugar right? And would your weed taste like koolaid?

This was purported to me by another grower, I have been thinking about it really stoned and have not been able to make up my mind about what I think on the subject. I like Kool aid, and weed.....

C

cellardweller

do it!
whats the worst that could happen?
maybe runnin around on a mad sugar high with little bubbles poppin over yer headz..lmao..

ReeferRon

You should try it and post the results...Do like a double blind flushing one plant with kool-aide and just water on the other. Use your favorite flavor. RED...

C

CTSV

RED?

Be more specific Cherry, Fruit Punch, Mountain Blast...etc.

I would go with GRAPE!!!

Storm Crow

Veteran
You might want to rethink that!

You might want to rethink that!

First off, kool-ade is nothing but artificial flavors, colors, acidifiers and sugar. No minerals, no real food value beyond the sugar calories for any living thing. Molasses is far superior to plain old sugar.

You might want to see what the ph of kool-ade is! I imagine, like sodas, the ph is right up there with vinegar. And when you think of all the hassles the hydro folks have with ph- adding kool-ade to your grow might just screw things up royally!

Usually, flavors are not picked up from the soil (THANK GOODNESS! Anyone for guano-flavored pot?) The plant's genetics create the flavors we love. If you want "Very Berry" pot, add a flavoring after harvest (although why anyone would want to....).

Granny :joint:

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
The sugars will make for some of the harshest smoke you will ever likely get off a marijuana plant. The flavor will be that of rancid ash trays, but go for it!

C

CTSV

In the name of science!

Molasses does have whole gaggle of nutrients in it. I always thought the "sugar" feed the soil. I don't flush, so I really don't have a clue what I am saying...

Bender

If you're itching to experiment, why not? They're your plants! I personally wouldn't do it, but if I was interested I think I would try cutting a cola off and dipping the stem in a glass of koolaid.

Besides, what's the worst that will happen? You might waste a little bud.

FreezerBoy said:
As long as the facts are disclosed, a complete failure in the garden still leaves the thread a success.

toohighmf

Veteran
Wow, when I was in my 20's doing outdoor dirt grows, mollasses, Hi-C, Hawaiian punch, Kool-aid were my primary flushes! Dextrose, sucrose etc are what is used in flushing agents. I think you will enjoy these drinks very much, as will your plants! Just stay away from carbonated drinks with high sodium.

Grinchy

To clarify, I was curious whether the flavor would go to the plant, I didn't figure on any benefit to the plant from the sugar. And I meant a very diluted koolaid reservoir, not pure koolaid. I was even debating whether to try with or without sugar, but I dont see a reason not to add sugar if I am putting koolaid in the rez. I dont want unsweetened plants after all.

Koolaid ingredients - Citric Acid, Maltodextrin (a carbohydrate), Calcium Phosphate(calcium and phosphorous), Salt, Artificial Flavor, Ascorbic Acid(Vit C), red 40, blue 1 and of course however much sugar I add. I suppose molasses could be substituted for sugar...

Arctic Blast - Aren't you a flavor of koolaid yourself? haha

Lean Green - I know plants create their own sugars, but why would people use carboload and molasses if plants don't also assimilate sugar through the roots?

cellar dweller - The worst thing that could happen is if it worked like paraquat on my pot. I fuggin hope not.

Reefer Ron - Try I will. 4 strains side by side flush with koolaid vs water. And given a color choice GREEN would always be my choice. C'mon now!

CTSV - I like your style! I was going to use grape actually as it is a distinct flavor none of my plants have. In the name of stoner science!

Storm Crow - I listed the ingredients of Kool aid. There are infact more minerals than atrificial flavor or color. I do not know if these benefit the plant, but I digress. I was not hoping for any benefit to the plant, just flavor. The PH of the cherry koolaid I am sipping is quite acidic, but I see it being very easy to adjust if a couple pitchers of koolaid was added to gallons of water. Hydro PH is only hard to manage in small reservoirs. Also, maybe you have not noticed, but the same strain will taste different depending on who grew it, fertilizer used, additives, and whether it was hydro or soil. Many things alter the taste of pot, good and bad.

MPD - speaking from experience? I know people who flush with carboload and molasses. Both have sugars in them as far as I understand, and the weed is great, not harsh. Why would sugar leave a bad taste? If anything I would suspect the acids or colors in the koolaid would.

Bender - Report back I will!

JoJo - now i really like your style! Myself I'd prefer some XO courvoisier, but crown weed sure does sounds tasty. I can taste the caramel and cream undertones already. And what smooth smoke it would be!

ToohighMF - So you really did flush plants with these substances? Did you notice any taste imparted?

My pot tastes great by the way, no need for a new flavor. And I know just about every flavor of koolaid has a strain of pot flavored the same way. The wheels in my head simply started turning when I heard the idea.

toohighmf

Veteran
Yes I have on many occasions. My favorite was hawaiian punch w Black stap, and have to say I think it really helped the flush, which increased density and IMPROVED the flavor.. Burnt to a white ash... I didn't taste the flavor of the punch at all, but I can say that properly leached, dried, cured buds taste better than plants with residual broken down food, not metabolized cut down green...

Grinchy

Yes I have on many occasions. My favorite was hawaiian punch w Black stap, and have to say I think it really helped the flush, which increased density and IMPROVED the flavor.. Burnt to a white ash... I didn't taste the flavor of the punch at all, but I can say that properly leached, dried, cured buds taste better than plants with residual broken down food, not metabolized cut down green...

Sounds even better than just the flavor improvement to expect compared to water. Whether it will taste like grapes or dank pot is yet to tell. I was actually thinking of replacing the sugar with black strap and just adding a few grape koolaid packets originally.

For the sake of stoner science though I am going with straight grape koolaid mixed as per instructions on pack "1 pack and 1 cup of sugar per 10 gallons of pure hydroponic quality water". Crazy it had instructions right? :abduct:

Next run though I am going with your schedule you gave me the word on. Thanks again for that!

jtk707

Purple kool aid

Purple kool aid

There was a group of growers north of me that were adding purple koolaid to the two week flush . The flavor and color was so predominant that any weed treated this way was renamed purple koolaid . Ive seen side by side tests and tasted the dank . I have also seen food coloring work but only on a variety that was prone to purple already . So basically I suggest you use original plain purple koolaid and mollases and post the results. Good luck:joint:

Grinchy

There was a group of growers north of me that were adding purple koolaid to the two week flush . The flavor and color was so predominant that any weed treated this way was renamed purple koolaid . Ive seen side by side tests and tasted the dank . I have also seen food coloring work but only on a variety that was prone to purple already . So basically I suggest you use original plain purple koolaid and mollases and post the results. Good luck:joint:

Thanks for the heads up - color change wasn't even something I though about.

I was going to use molasses, but for the sake of testing just koolaid next to water I am going to mix as per instruction on pack - 1 cup sugar/1 pack koolaid vs plain water.

N

NWestCoast

Grinchy here.

A good portion of this pot is being grape kool aid flushed with molasses. Lots of packets and molasses.

Smoke test coming soon.

N

narutonut

Ok well the primary reason that all the flushing agents on the market contain Sucrose and Dextrose I believe is their diaretic (poor spelling sry) Qualities. Sugars actually cause less absorption of water and all the good stuff for this reason, and actively work to promote the osmosis that moves excess nutrients from the plants to the Kool aid (or whatever flush you are doing). Can't wait to hear how it goes just remember the way that sugar helps flavor is not by sweetening but by assisting in the removal of all the nasty nutes still in the plants. I really hope your res and containers don't get perma cool aid color!