What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tools to measure pH and EC directly in substrate?

ballplayer 2

Was wondering if anyone has experience with pH and EC meters that measure parameters directly within the substrate?

I'm looking at the Bluelab pH Soil meter and the Hanna EC soil meter. Each seems to be intended to measure directly into the substrate? If you have experience with such methods how do you feel about these meters, and do you have any tips to make sure i am carrying out the tests properly?

I know I can use runoff measurements...however lately it seems like anytime I try watering or fertilizing to runoff my plants have a tendency to freak out, especially in larger containers.

Thank you for your time and help

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
An accurate reliable direct measurement probe for soil would be nice. I couldn't find a Bluelab soil Ph meter for sale, in stock, a week ago when I was buying water solution meters.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
You can only measure what is there at the time. Most of which is your water. Without which, I expect they can't measure anything. Leaving our desire for an exacting measurement unfulfilled.
The common method is to extract a sample. This is something you can do at every pot and means only inserting a fine almost needle-like tube to draw up some solution.

If your goal is to discover why they don't like watering, then we can look at that? A poor reaction to water might be because it's too soft. Normally hard supplies can soften in winter when rain that falls is at your tap much quicker

pileit

We use the bluelab pulse and soil ph probe indoor. really like the pulse connected to cell phonehttps://bluelab.com/usa/bluelab-pulse-multimedia-ec-mc-meter.

I've used Blue lab, Apera and Hanna probes. Nothing beats the old remote probe Blue labs. Except with the lead goes bad and you don't realize it. So yes those suck also.

Big design issue with those pens, they will grab your medium and hold onto it in nooks around the glass. Then they'll sell you a solution to neutralize the peat moss, cow shit, cheese, etc and ensure accuracy. Who the hell wants cheese and cow shit stuck in their meter? Must be a marketing tactic to sell multiple units, but I don't trust the readings with that debris touching the bulb.

Honestly the pens suck so bad, I'd buy one off Amazon, mix your soil, and return it. Only time they get used during the entire grow. Just don't hit a piece of pumice, the bulb will shatter that easy. Did I mention how bad these probes suck?

ballplayer 2

Well damn, didn't realize these meters aren't worth a damn. Seems like I might be just as well off measuring runoff?

Anyway, thats why I asked. No need to waste 300 dollars if its not going to help me much.

St. Phatty

I've seen meters that are designed to be pushed into the soil.

Sort of like a Meat Thermometer. Or a Compost Thermometer.

As opposed to measuring the pH of the run-off.

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
There is some chemistry or math about some ions and stuff. You can take a soil sample and mix it with water for a soil pH reading. Allowing it to settle or straining it with a wire mesh or cloth first may help preserve the meter. You can see if the readings change with more or less water or allowing it to settle before measuring.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I've seen meters that are designed to be pushed into the soil.

Sort of like a Meat Thermometer. Or a Compost Thermometer.

As opposed to measuring the pH of the run-off.

I had one of those a long time ago, and never believed it.

So I installed a carbon filter element after the sediment element, for my whole house. Got a bluelab Truncheon, and stuck it in the water, Nothing. I was getting pretty pissed thinking it was no good, until tossed a pinch of salt in the water, and the EC went to 1.5

The Ph goes from 7.8 to 8.3, and the EC to 1.3 when I put a little baking soda in, like I always do my water for drinking.

JohnCash

Have also been looking for something like this. I watched a video of a guy making a soil slurry with distilled water and testing that. Not sure how well that method works. But it's something to look into before laying down your money.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Soil probes are unreliable and can give false readings. The soil slurry test is called the the 2:1 method for testing pH and EC, and it is very accurate, if done correctly. I prefer the Pour-Thru Method because its the quickest and easiest, that can be done with every watering in every pot. . 😎

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
We use the bluelab pulse and soil ph probe indoor. really like the pulse connected to cell phonehttps://bluelab.com/usa/bluelab-pulse-multimedia-ec-mc-meter.

Just got one of these yesterday. I'll let you know how it goes.

Latest posts

Latest posts