What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2020 Black Domina

GoatCheese

Veteran
Hi.
I remind you that you have only seen few photos of my Ortega-BD, while I have grown her out many times in different shapes and sizes, so believe me when I say it resembles the US Ortega and is clearly related.
The Afghani in Northern Lights look quite different, more like a classic short BLD afghani. Check out photos of MrNice NL5/NL1 line to see the difference to the Ortega type

Growing style affects the shape of buds. When you top the plant few times and grow many colas on it, the tops/leaves are usually thinner. But yes, the tops on the US Ortega are slightly rounder than on my plant but to my eye it’s still quite a slender plant, the US clone, not a short BLD Afghani.

The Ortega from Maple Leaf-afgahi was a “type” not just one cutting, there were males and females. And cause the Maple Leaf-afghani was a hashish cultivar, there would be traits from other hash plant types to be found in the different Ortega-plants, so it is expected different Ortega-plants could have slight differences to each other, like many OG Kush hybrids are abit different to each other but still clearly OG Kush genetics.
..and my Ortega pheno came out of Black Domina in which the Ortega-15 female was crossed with an Afghani line Nevil got from Sam Skunkman (Afghani SA as Sensi puts it) so my Ortega-pheno isn’t 100% pure as the US Ortega is, which came straight out of Maple Leaf stock.

But enough of this. If you don’t want to believe my plant is an Ortega leaning BD then fine. It shares similar hashy terp profile as some Super Skunk plants do, as the Afg-T Nevil used in SS also came from the Maple Leaf-line, so I know what I have. It also has very crispy resin, which drops off very easily if you bump the plant too hard, just like Nevil said the Ortega-types do.

Terps of my Ortega-BD:
Hashy, ginger bread cookie spices, blueberry/berries, notes of sweet apricots/peach, notes of green apple.

The effect is somewhat similar to some blueberry-afghanis; the effect isn’t full on couch lock and has that “bliss”-quality that some of the best afghanis have. ..thou I believe Ortega-type is Uzbek-genetics originally, not pure afghani.
-
-
I don’t have room to pop the last five BD seeds I have in near future, but I had two broadleaf types that look similar to your plants in veg but they were males so I didn’t bloom them. I had another abit thinner leaf-pheno male but it wasn’t the Ortega-type. It had lighter green leaves and abit lemony stem rub smell. Low yielding, even lower yielding than the Ortega type.

Peace.:tiphat:

FiftySeeds

@Goatcheese , Of course I do believe you !
There are a lot of people I don't believe anymore because of greed , but you're not one of them, I promise.Sorry for this misunderstanding my friend.

I really want to thank you for sharing these precious datas about this strain.Really good job !!
Your report is very well detailed and we all appreciate , Usefull informations for sure . ;)

I may have judge your plants too quickly with the only pics I have , and as you say growing style affects the shape of the buds, my bad.
But sincerely never imagine a BD plant like yours !

:thank you:

GoatCheese

Veteran
Yea, it’s prolly because Sensi isn’t using the original Parent Plants from Nevil anymore and they are using F2 plants for their BD we are seeing the line break up and get these extreme expressions of the original 4-way genetics

The good thing is that you can find rare gems like my Ortega leaning BD, but the down side is that the phenos can be all over the place, like the 5 seeds I’ve grown, and the plants may look nothing like Sensi describes the line, especially with lines that cost as much as BD does = not too cool from a big company who should have the time and space to recreate a good line.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
still have 1/2 pack from many years ago - i remember guys saying look for the tall n lanky 'ortega' pheno... i did find if i remember (who takes notes) 2 taller plants, but culled me both after another 1 or 2 rounds as we found em lacking...

gotta say almost all the seeds we have bought over the years that cost a lot of $$$, most have been disappointments.... and some of the cheap...cheap nirvana (and others) have been keepers...

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user
still have 1/2 pack from many years ago - i remember guys saying look for the tall n lanky 'ortega' pheno... i did find if i remember (who takes notes) 2 taller plants, but culled me both after another 1 or 2 rounds as we found em lacking...

gotta say almost all the seeds we have bought over the years that cost a lot of $$$, most have been disappointments.... and some of the cheap...cheap nirvana (and others) have been keepers...

If you pay more you expect more,if you pay lass you expect less.

And when you expect a little, the chances are higher that you will be pleasantly surprised

FiftySeeds

Nice to see you guys . Over the years , I've tried a lot of breeders and sensi is not the worst , very far from that.^^

Just do as Zachrockbadenof says , and get surprised

I think that my expectations were low enough with this company , I could give a try to some old strains when 50% discount .
Regardless to the price , they are very good choice for small space and the immature sample buds were already nicely potent.
I will wait to cut them until amber trichs.

Fresh buds smell peppery, but not lemony at all more like a mop that haven't dry well lol.Really very compact and no skunk smell.

8 weeks

#1 bigger buds
picture.php

#3 broader leaves
picture.php

#5 the fast finisher
picture.php

Peace

FiftySeeds

Uncured bud smoke is really ... bland , and stone is boring just like a good old NL /Master Kush lol. Body stone , nothing in the head.
They are so compact that the flowers burn very slowly making thick white smoke , but not so heavy on THC I guess...#3 is the best at this stage , making huge seeds and hash resin.

This genetic could be usefull for home breeding , reducing flo time and adding more density with a full blooded Indica .

In other cases , I don't really advice you to grow those seeds , because for me they' weren't very interesting . Maybe not lucky this time , but I have not found a plant like the first one in 96 , lol (#3 is not bad either).

Make seeds guys :)

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
The original Black Domina was tall and branchy.........it barely could hold it's top cola up. This is early 1990's I'm talking about.

This is the way mine was. Low yield but the hardest knockout to date. Didn't taste great, fairly skinny stems, fat head. Real party killer lol.

G

My black domina f4 from originals 95/96.
The seed i have now produces small squat plants with good potency but doesn't really resemble the original black dom seed they came from.
Maybe bad selections on my part but my goal was only ever to keep myself in free seeds.
large.5c3fb4847e0e8_DSC00113(2).JPG.90b3312481f6151bedf6d16c806238e0.jpg

Bro.

My Black Domina keeper will always make the same looking seeds no matter which male I've used; small, very dark brown and mottled. So if the seeds look different, it could be they use different female now.

Here’s my BD keeper. It’s the Ortega-pheno. Narrower leaves, tall and lanky. It was the only female I got out of 5 seeds
Hi,

Not so sure, it depends on the alleles that your Black domina has inherited from her parents.

If one of the Black domina's parents has the genes that code for non-black seeds, than one of your keeper's sisters (out of your 5 starting seeds) could have inherited these genes and give different coloured seeds ..

But I've also noticed this Bd black seed pheno dominating for the moment by crossing my Sad S1s with other males.

+++

Last edited: