What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bokashi for beginners: what is it, and what can it do for me?

Anyone have an input on why lactic acid bacteria inoculated media turns into white fuzzy stuff ?

Wondering if its brewers yeast forming due to lack of full saturation of the bacteria into the media or some other microb growing due to all the airspace ?

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
I made my bokashi EM easy -
cook a cup of rice and a cup of water
place on newspaper in worm bin.
two week later , its covered in good stuff
mix that with mollasses and let ferment another week and its good to go
I used shreded newspaper for my bran and it works like a charm
keep the EM airtight and it lasts a good while

100lbs

100lbs

bokashi

picture.php

picture.php

jrliem

Are Bokashi microbes good ?

Are Bokashi microbes good ?

Hi,

Bokashi microbes are anaerobic microbes, aren't they ? Some expert said that anaerobic microbes are pathogen. So, is bokashi good for plant ?

Thanks in advance.

bmaster

The microbes used in Bokashi are grown together and create an acidic anaerobic environment that are not conducive to pathogens like e-coli and salmonella.
You are right, there are anaerobic microbes that are pathogenic, however these little guys are not.
The microbes typically are lacto-bacillus bacteria, beneficial yeast (fungi) and sometimes Phototrophic bacteria (PNSB)
To answer your question...yes bokashi is great for plants. Just mix some as a top dressing and watch how well your plants react.
Some great info on Bokashi on www.mygoodgreen.com

samliem

The microbes used in Bokashi are grown together and create an acidic anaerobic environment that are not conducive to pathogens like e-coli and salmonella.
You are right, there are anaerobic microbes that are pathogenic, however these little guys are not.
The microbes typically are lacto-bacillus bacteria, beneficial yeast (fungi) and sometimes Phototrophic bacteria (PNSB)
To answer your question...yes bokashi is great for plants. Just mix some as a top dressing and watch how well your plants react.
Some great info on Bokashi on www.mygoodgreen.com

Many many thanks

midwestkid

Veteran
I believe you are suppose to keep it away from the stalk of your plant right? I think that's sound advice that needs to be passed on when using as a top dress.

JKD

Veteran
100% milk can curdle around the roots and prevent water/nutrient uptake.

chiesesganja

growing in bokashi soil and humus

Attachments

• WeChat Image_20210113103221.jpg
    WeChat Image_20210113103221.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 50
  • WeChat Image_20210113103217.jpg
    WeChat Image_20210113103217.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 45
  • WeChat Image_20210113103155.jpg
    WeChat Image_20210113103155.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 49