What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Regular seeds worth it?

Maple_Flail

Ah... but I'm talking about Canadian Senators. Senator Patrick Brazeau was busted for cocaine. lol

And while Rob Ford wasn't a senator, he had his connections. Now his brother is Mayor of Toronto!
View Image

no he isn't.. Doug Jr lost to John Tory. Doug Jr is leader of ontario Conservatives .. (yes i still can't figure that one out either)

BACK ON TOPIC:

I prefer regs. I normally have great female ratios. more beans less money more pheno difference, chance for a male, and not having the forced reversal for feminization (i find that it changes something in the taste)

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
I put six females into my flower room only to find out a couple weeks later that one of them was a big old BOY. So I got him out of there, collected some pollen, and decided to try my first seed run.
I'm excited, wish me luck, boys. Wouldn't have happened if I was running all FEMS.

zif

Veteran
Pros of regular seeds:
  • I just like them / would never grow anything else (philsophical objection)
  • What nature intended (phil. ob.)
  • Ease of pollen chucking / seed production
  • Virtually all landraces are regs
  • Many more worked modern lines available as regs
  • Seeds are much cheaper to produce
  • More diverse outcomes, elites, keepers, etc (?)

zif

Veteran
Ya, getting only 2 plants would suck lemons. But I've been breaking the law for 45 years, so why stop now.

I grow fems to sell and keep me busy. But my personal stash comes from regular seeds I've scooped in my travels.

Curious what you find different, as you clearly have real experience with both types of seed?

I'm up to 100s of fems and 1000s of regs over the last several decades, and have found keepers from both. You can take my (fem) Schnazzleberry #3 from my cold, dead hands, for example, but you aren't taking her from me any other way (not to say she isn't passed around, just that I'm doing everything humanly possible to keep her, too!) ;-)

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
no he isn't.. Doug Jr lost to John Tory. Doug Jr is leader of ontario Conservatives .. (yes i still can't figure that one out either)
I'm so confused... I wasn't expecting that for another 20 years. lol

I put six females into my flower room only to find out a couple weeks later that one of them was a big old BOY. So I got him out of there, collected some pollen, and decided to try my first seed run.
I'm excited, wish me luck, boys. Wouldn't have happened if I was running all FEMS.

I love a nice $eed run. Having said that;
My wife wanted to grow 4 NL Autos. She transplanted them 3 times. 1 died, then she transplanted them again into the garden for the 4th transplant. Two hermied, one stunted to about 8" and got pollinated. Now I'm not a great grower by any stretch but, damn..... lol

Now she wants me to plant those seeds. I might do a few for her to see if she created a new dwarf. She's been banned from growing anything but house plants and vegetables, and she has to sign out the watering can and fertilizer.

Spaventa

Veteran
My previous post was a bit one side for regulars so I should add that while regular seeds are my preference, I do recognise that feminised strains that were purpose bred from a well selected all female gene pool can be just as good - all depends on the females in question.
The other thing is that fems are an easy way to fill a grow with homogenous plants, simply. If you use trusted fems from good breeders, its an attractive option compared to finding and keeping mothers and propagating clones.

Maple_Flail

I'm so confused... I wasn't expecting that for another 20 years. lol

I love a nice $eed run. Having said that;
My wife wanted to grow 4 NL Autos. She transplanted them 3 times. 1 died, then she transplanted them again into the garden for the 4th transplant. Two hermied, one stunted to about 8" and got pollinated. Now I'm not a great grower by any stretch but, damn..... lol

Now she wants me to plant those seeds. I might do a few for her to see if she created a new dwarf. She's been banned from growing anything but house plants and vegetables, and she has to sign out the watering can and fertilizer.

Are you confusing Doug Jr with Rob? Rob was mayor of toronto for one term (iirc) Had the scandal then Pulled out of the 2014 mayor election due to illness (that turned out to be cancer that in the end killed him, 2years + one week tomorrow (march 22/2016)

He would not have won the election if he had stayed in it. He would have lost to John Tory, Just like his brother did 4 years later.

To be fair to your other half, Auto's are a real pain to do well, in my experience you need to throw a lot of traditional gardening knowledge out the window with them and just follow their lead.

oddly enough my best results came from, planting them in a starter container that would be theoretically be suited one month + old clones (ie, way way more room then a seedling should want beneficially) light watering of just water and only nutes they get for the first 10 days or so coming from foliar. then switching to bloom nutes when you start "feeding" the soil, transplant into something 50% bigger just after day 14 or so and then let it do its thing.. I got really bored growing them..

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Curious what you find different, as you clearly have real experience with both types of seed?

I'm up to 100s of fems and 1000s of regs over the last several decades, and have found keepers from both. You can take my (fem) Schnazzleberry #3 from my cold, dead hands, for example, but you aren't taking her from me any other way (not to say she isn't passed around, just that I'm doing everything humanly possible to keep her, too!) ;-)
Not a lot of experience really. I don't know, I just seem to get a better high. As for taste? More earthy.

My best friend's brother when I was a kid (14) was patched and grew lots. Got my first seeds from him after he caught us stealing one of his plants. He was pretty pissed. Not because we took a plant, but because we dragged the poor thing down a trail and thru the mud. lol. Years later, before fem seeds, I was told to keep my seeds in a box with bananas. Turns out, he was right. Apparently it helps create feminized seeds.

I picked up some Honduran Trash seeds on an island last month. The guy thought I was nuts trying to collect them. They only smoke it when they can't get the imported Jamaican (I've never seen a weed so chocolate brown). The Jamaican was ok, but I'm prone to anxiety and I felt it creep on me a couple times, so I'd jump in the water and snorkel for a while.

But the Honduran Trash? I've never had such a clear and sharp high. I'm a lightweight, but I never got stoned, only high and energized. Loved it. So I brought some home with me, and have a pound coming (of Jam & Trash) for peanuts because they usually throw them away. :)

I have an expat friend who's lived there for about 15 years. He told me there is a sativa dwarf there. I searched, but couldn't find it. Maybe on the mainland, but it's too dangerous to go there now. If he finds it, he'll send me seeds.

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
Hey tycho

I stressed some autos with shitty pH soil mix and transplanting after a month of no growth. They were half the size of the ones grown in good soil.
Put them in the soil you want them to spend their entire lives and they should perform reasonably well.

Now that I think about it, when I had them in soil with perlite and worm castings all I had to do was water. Easiest thing in the world. And when they started flowering they stretched like 0.7 inches daily. When I saw that growth rate I have to admit I was both happy and scared. :tiphat:

S

sourpuss

Man page 3 an still no straight answer to the op question. Unless i missed 1.

Anyway, fuck femmed seed. Reg seeds will show sex in veg if you wait long enough. If you see a pistil without a hair its a male or hermie. And its not a pistil its a pollen sac. Full of man jizz.

If you wanna flower sooner you just flower em and cull the males. Pretty easy. :tiphat:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Man page 3 an still no straight answer to the op question. Unless i missed 1.

Anyway, fuck femmed seed. Reg seeds will show sex in veg if you wait long enough. If you see a pistil without a hair its a male or hermie. And its not a pistil its a pollen sac. Full of man jizz.

If you wanna flower sooner you just flower em and cull the males. Pretty easy. :tiphat:
You probably mean calyx. Pistils are the hairs.
But one thing I agree totally: Fuck fem seeds!

Gry

Have always gone for the regular myself. Am uncomfortable with the thought of paying some else to get hinky with the plants for me.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I used to be concerned about Fem seed but not so much anymore. Now I’m more concerned w the quality of the plants that the breeder is working with.

As for Fem or Reg, I don’t think it really matters but my preference, given a choice, will always be Regular seeds.

From regular seeds; one could produce more regs and/or Fems & keep a line going.

Using Fem, one can only maintain a Fem line.

Choose what suits your situation the best.

CaptainDankness

Since all the best fem seeds come from regular seeds first regs are better. Especially if you hate shelling out money on seeds all the time a few crosses or F2's you are just as good as 95% of breeders.

covert

Possession
8 (1) Unless authorized under this Act, it is prohibited
(e) for an individual to possess more than four cannabis plants that are not budding or flowering

so we can rule out the usually.

If you don't grow indoor, and you end up with a few males, you're fucked until next year. So you have to pop 8 reg seeds, in which case, you're illegal.

I sure wish a couple senators were growers.

prohibited
(e) for an individual to possess more than four cannabis plants that are not budding or flowering

Now hear me out. This allows a shitload of plants if you can grok it.

You can't possess more than 4 non flowering plants. This means any plant that begins to flower is not counted anymore and can be replaced with another seed-ling-plant.

If you have 16 week flowering sativas you'll have roughly 16 plants with each 4 plants being upgraded to flowering every 4 weeks under 12:12 lighting.

It allows a slow marching continuous grow with 4 non flowering plants at all times.

I'm high, like super high so if it doesn't make sense I won't be offended if someone finds a hole in the logic.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
prohibited

You can't possess more than 4 non flowering plants. This means any plant that begins to flower is not counted anymore and can be replaced with another seed-ling-plant.

If you have 16 week flowering sativas you'll have roughly 16 plants with each 4 plants being upgraded to flowering every 4 weeks under 12:12 lighting.

It allows a slow marching continuous grow with 4 non flowering plants at all times.

I'm high, like super high so if it doesn't make sense I won't be offended if someone finds a hole in the logic.

Nice! If you flip right away, wouldn't that be a harem of like.. 60 girls? :)
How long after the flip do they show hairs? Guess I should start growing indoor.

What strain are you smoking? I want it. lol

edit: thinking back... I believe troutman mentioned this to me a while back.

Last edited:

White Beard

prohibited...(e) for an individual to possess more than four cannabis plants that are not budding or flowering

That’s how I parse it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts