What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

co2 and sealed rooms

I have been running sealed rooms for sometime now, i have yet to run a sealed room on a perpetual basis. does anyone have any experience with a staggered harvest using co2. i usually lower my temps and co2 in the last two weeks, but with perp. i would not be able to do it

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I'd think youd have to find the 'happy medium' for temps as well as co2 levels, making all plants 'happy', nutes too if youre automated. I tried co2 some.. still have all those CAP/Digital controllers, bottles regulators but alas I'm not smart enough and at my age, I do not need more than I yield now (parinoia about sales). Good Luck.:tiphat:

the "hapy medium" is kinda what i was thinking. but at lower temps and co2 is it then worth the investment and heat of running a burner plus ac

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
the "hapy medium" is kinda what i was thinking. but at lower temps and co2 is it then worth the investment and heat of running a burner plus ac
Big grow, big returns, even at lower co2PPMs. I wasnt able to coordinate fans and co2 enough to make a cost efficient effort (electricity costs as you suggest). Along with longer veg times, 1 more plant W/O running co2 seems to satify my yield efforts as much as the co2 did, . Again, I know the benifits but not willing to do take the time to do the work to make it work.:tiphat:
Perpetual!? I have a hard time keeping clones seperated so that X clones arent in reality the O clones.

by the way i alredy have the mini split and gen. i ran the room sealed for years and vented this last run becuase i wawnted a variety of strains with different finishing times

growshopfrank

Veteran
the biggest downside with perpetual sealed with CO2 is that the CO2 tends to slow ripening in most rooms you can cut the CO2 levels for the last week to speed up ripening
IMHO the benefits of CO2 enrichment far outweigh this small issue

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
If possible, try bringing outside air to augment your C02. Under the eaves on my house I added standard Home Depot attic grills and ducted/filtered the air directly to my grow environment. The girls day start at 9PM--the grow environment receives cool night/morning air while the lights are on...I also vent the lights the same way (cool air in--warm air ducted out) and as a result--the AC hardly ever runs and temps are a sweet 72-78 degrees and my humidity range is 45-60% with no dehumidifier.

That said....I too am a perpetual grower and once I got everything dialed in, the augmented C02 (20# tanks) remains unchanged during all grow cycles. And there are certainly no defects with my finished product.

BTW...during the 12 hour dark cycle, I do exchange the air several times with high volume exhaust fans that turn on and off at set times--but when lights are on, no air escapes (electric dampeners). The outside air is pumped in via inline fan that runs 24/7--creating a nice positive air pressure since the doors are "gasket" sealed.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
You can do it but they finish up better when you turn it off at week 7 of flower.

Part of the give and take of growing perpetual. Having a nice harve$t couple times each month is also "better".

No wrong way...as there are many, many paths to the same destination.

Wendull C.

Veteran
I have done it both ways. When you turn the gas off ethylene helps ripen but I have seen hardly any difference in finished product or finish times.

I cant believe there are people in the "Advanced Growing Science" section telling someone they would be just as well off using fresh air compared to artificial co2 enrichment. Secondly, your growing one more plant theory is totally off because in every state in the United States and most places in the world there is a limited number of plants you can grow legally, so when one operates at full capacity, there is no "add a plant" option; among other things. I don't mean to come off as negative, but its basic biological understanding that a cannabis plant needs more than earths current ambient co2 levels to thrive as nature intended

ATAK.1

I cant believe there are people in the "Advanced Growing Science" section telling someone they would be just as well off using fresh air compared to artificial co2 enrichment. Secondly, your growing one more plant theory is totally off because in every state in the United States and most places in the world there is a limited number of plants you can grow legally, so when one operates at full capacity, there is no "add a plant" option; among other things. I don't mean to come off as negative, but its basic biological understanding that a cannabis plant needs more than earths current ambient co2 levels to thrive as nature intended

This post is horrible. Here is why:
1) You may not want to believe it, but in this situation fresh air induction is a totally reasonable option to solve the issue this grower is dealing with. While co2 enhancement is s trick option for indoor horticulture, it's not the "be all-end all" requirement you seem to believe it is. Many GREAT growers use fresh air only and produce stellar crops consistently.
2) Adding 1 more plant to offset co2 gains (or lack of) is not a theory, it was a suggestion and a fact. Again you seem to think co2 does Magical wonders for a crop ( you obviously don't grow), but in reality you are looking at about a 1/4 lb gain per light -that's only 4 ounces. Any decent grower can pull 3-4 ounces per plant. So there's your co2 gain minus the co2.
3) (this is the stupidest part of your post) contrary to what you believe, MOST states in America and around the world DO NOT have plant counts that growers need to adhere to. Rather in almost ALL states in America and around the world growing herb is ILLEGAL you brain dead poser!! So if you're growing and not legal, does it really matter if you have 1 extra plant??
4) it's basic biology to understand that a cannabis does NOT need more than earths ambient co2 levels to thrive. The plant has evolved over thousands of years to thrive off of what mother nature provides, and it's been doing a great job of it long before your local h hydro shop started selling the latest over-priced induction gear.

More listen, less talk.

ATAK.1

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Fuzzy, it does not matter the source of CO2...lol. If a pound of C02 is derived: from nature/outdoors, and/or from a 20 pound tank, and/or from a generator (gas burner)...a pound of CO2--is a pound of CO2, regardless of it's source. A pound is a pound (period).
Too funny!

ATAK.1

lol, you keep on thinking you all know "advanced growing science."

Nobody is claiming to know "advanced growing science"- whatever the hell that is. We just know how to grow and are offering suggestions, while being astonished that you get upset because we don't agree with your views based on experience you don't have. When (if) you ever decide to grow your first plant, are you gonna have a $500+ co2 system already set up? Probably not, as alot of us did not when we first started. And yet natural air seemed to work....and it worked well. In my current room that I am just finishing up, I kinda wanted to use fresh air induction instead of going sealed. Would have less head aches, but ultimately went sealed w/ co2 in my flower room and in my veg for security.

Be nice, polite and honest and you can learn some great things here.
Be an arrogant know it all, and I'll keep clowning you. LOL

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Fuzzy, the more I learn...I discovered I really know "very little"; but--what I do know, I know very well.

Can you enlighten us and explain why the source of CO2 is more important than having the correct amount? Like why outdoor CO2 is bad...but bottled CO2 is good. Would love to hear your logic.

guineapig

Veteran
If you have an HID light, a complete nutrient program and a regular watering schedule,
chances are your plant(s) growth will be limited by one factor: atmospheric conditions.

Your CO2 system should cost 150-250 for a basic controller with the special laser-drilled
tubing, which contains thousands of microscopic pores through which the gas escapes.
The tank will be 80-100 dollars, and it will require re-fills periodically.

You don't need the big computerized controllers for a small-to-moderately sized room, the
old-school valves will work just fine and perhaps are more reliable than digital stuff.

You should see a 10-15 percent increase in flower mass upon introduction of CO2.
Some books say you should not inject CO2 during the last 2 weeks of flowering, I guess
this is due to some sort of data that I am not aware of, but it has been printed and
re-printed over and over again so it must have some validity.

Fresh air intake and outtake is just not an option in many situations for many reasons.
I know some people swear by it, but it is almost the same as injecting CO2.
It isn't absolutely necessary, but having fresh air or CO2 injection will increase your
yield by 10-15 percent.

People have tried to figure out the optimal PPM of CO2 for plants, some people say
1500 while others say a lower PPM is better based on stomata closure dynamics.

Maybe different canna varietals prefer different levels of CO2? That makes sense.

There seems to be no toxic limit for CO2 in the atmosphere, just like there seems to be
no toxic limit for O2 in the rhizosphere (root zone). But do not be an idiot and try to
sniff CO2 gas because you want to know what it "smells like." Your brain will
immediately think it is drowning, and you will find this effect extremely unpleasant.
However, this only happens if you are really close to a CO2 nozzle that is going straight
into a gas cylinder. As long as you have a proper regulator on, the amount of CO2 emitted from the tank is negligible and will not harm you. Please spend the extra money
and get a regulator, you really cannot properly administer CO2 without one.

Alternately, you can do prana yoga meditation in front of your plants every day.
Your plants would be absorbing the CO2 that you exhale.
This is not feasible for most people.
People are too busy.

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

I'd like to add that we should differentiate between CO2 injection and air movement around the plants.
When you add small fans, it helps strengthen the stems so large floral clusters can develop without stressing the plant.
Maybe this air movement is what the fresh air enthusiasts claim is the big difference?

:ying: kind regards from guineapig edit :ying:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts