What's new

Terepenoid Maturation

wygram

No, the plant does not produce CBN directly, rather it is a degradation product formed by other Cannabinoids aging with storage.
As for picking early to change the Cannabinoid ratios, have you done this? I have many time and the ratio is pretty much fixed throughout flowering all that changes are the absolute amounts, the ratio remains constant, the terpenoids do change with different terpenoids peaking in maximum amounts at different times of maturation dependent on the terpenoid.
-SamS

This is the only mention I've been able to find about how terpenoids change as the plant matures. It's not much and I'm interested to know more.

Is there a general pattern in which terpenoids mature? Does anyone know? Is there research about this?

CB99

some of my plants lack any smell beffore the 6th week.

a drop in EC during the later stages of flower seems to force maturity and also swelling, at this point smells tend to increese, for me.

CB

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
Great question. I've also wondered what factors(besides genetics) affect terpenoids prominence. In other words what can be altered to increase the smell of your strain. Like how phosphorous helps flower swelling and potassium helps roots.

WelderDan

Veteran
I would assume light spectrum has some effect on terpenoid production. Highland/mountainous strains have different terpenoid profiles than sea level/lowland varieties. Light spectrum changes with altitude and atmospheric density.

Growing plants in non native regions tends to result in plants that differ in potency and flavor than plants grown in their native regions, so it would be safe to assume environment also has affect on terpenoid production as well.