What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seaponics

After a fair bit of looking around I cannot find any real details for the validity or otherwise of Seaponics. It seems a very interesting idea, but does it work?

This adamantly believes it the second coming of Jesus:

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=81260

This guy is all praise, albeit with pretty plants, but I'd love to see multiple projects for some kind of concrete(ish) results. The thread kinda feels like a commercial. I want him to be right and for this to be awesome and amazing. Can anyone link or post to some success or failures with this method, hydro preferred.

I gently scoured the internet grow sites, this same dialogue and host seem to be the only thing I can find.

But Really!?!?

ICMAG is Awesome!

Sex'n my grow tomorrow! Prayin' for ladies.

osirica420

:scripture:

all praise almighty jah !!!

seaponics works brother!!

plants below are in a 400ppm GreenDream chem mineral nutes, and 1500ppm OG Himalayan salt....

IMO it increases the potency/immune systen of the plant more then anything...

I have been growin with sea salt 2 yrs now...

:ying: peace

picture.php

picture.php

Osirica

I appreciate your intense commitment to sea minerals. However, can you link to another grower using your/the seaponics regiment with equal success? Your other threads show great results I just need further evidence.

Have you thought about creating a cleaner new thread with your process to inspire converts in a more concise format. I find this technique totally inspirational, but I can't afford to deviate from tried and true success with my PBP regime without a body of proof.

I have not intention of undermining your triumphs, your grows are beautiful.

word.

J

*Journeyman*

:biglaugh:...coming soon to a theatre near you...scientific validation for growing with seawater concentrate...without the 'salt' ;)

:D

CovertCrops

I should have my sea solids by next week. Sounds like really interesting stuff, figured I would prove it to myself..... Stay tuned.

osirica420

the sodium chloride is needed my brothers..
i suggest it near the end as it will slightly reduce yield not by much but definitely increase potency..
I will put it simply like this minerals attach themselves to the salt ions and that increases the uptake of minerals overall...
I highly suggest Himalayan sea salt ran the whole time at 1500ppm from seed..

I use it the whole time and dont lose much on the yield.. as you can see in all my pics..

I would have done real tests but i have not had the peace of mind to set up something that big yet... maybe in the future...

we all know this technique works they just need a bit extra N added to the salt..

there is nothing to doubt, its already a proven way of growing solid dense buds
with nothing but organic minerals..

sea salt bud is intense in flavor and potency..
absolutely no question about it...

for all you soil growers i do not recommend adding the salt directly to the soil i have had people have bad results this way..
it need to be applied in a solution only, that way we can control exactly how much it receives per watering..
besides that never go over 2000ppm, the end results will be surprising.

I had to cut these early because i could smell them outside..
I have 3 carbon filters this round.. so i should no longer have that problem
100% organic ...Guano and Sea Salt

picture.php

:ying:

CalcioErba2004

CalErba
Veteran
Ok I have a question...I keep reef tanks, whats wrong with pulling my old saltwater out of there and using it? What is the salt concentrations that you use(ppt? Specific Gravity?) Sorry for the questions but I have been thinking about using saltwater to grow plants but I don't wanna kill anything. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks for starting the thread Mud Shark! :wave:

osirica420

You can use that water as long as the salt/minerals that are in there comes from a ocean..

Dont use more then 2000ppm and your plants will reward you greatly!

Balazar

has anyone tried the nutes form this site? Great Lakes Garden Supply seems to make a 3 part all organic nute. I am seriously considering buying it. I really like the seaponics idea. Does anyone have other info sources for seaponics?

CalcioErba2004

CalErba
Veteran
You can use that water as long as the salt/minerals that are in there comes from a ocean..

Dont use more then 2000ppm and your plants will reward you greatly!

Well I don't see why not. It's synthetic salt mix but it has the same make up as ocean water and if my corals and fish can live in it I don't see how it would differ from real ocean water. Thanks a lot for then response brother! Your buds look off the chain! Keep it danK!

Balazar

Well I don't see why not. It's synthetic salt mix but it has the same make up as ocean water and if my corals and fish can live in it I don't see how it would differ from real ocean water. Thanks a lot for then response brother! Your buds look off the chain! Keep it danK!

I don't see why your aquarium water wouldn't work. If there are living animals in it than it must have some bacteria and other goodies in there. It's probably not as diverse as see water but hell no one has studied witch ones are better for growing. Also if you where adding your sea salt/minerals to tap water without at least de-chlorinating it it wouldn't be any closer to the composition of sea water than the aquarium water. To get re-hydrated sea water solution you would need distilled or RO to mix with your salt/minerals.

I think Osirica is on to something here. Can you post your nute schedule or at least a small blurb on all the products you are using? It's a RDWC right? Are you using compost/manure tea? Props to Osirica for trying this and reporting his findings to everyone. He did his whole grow this way not just an experiment in the corner, that takes some balls.

CalcioErba2004

CalErba
Veteran
I don't see why your aquarium water wouldn't work. If there are living animals in it than it must have some bacteria and other goodies in there. It's probably not as diverse as see water but hell no one has studied witch ones are better for growing. Also if you where adding your sea salt/minerals to tap water without at least de-chlorinating it it wouldn't be any closer to the composition of sea water than the aquarium water. To get re-hydrated sea water solution you would need distilled or RO to mix with your salt/minerals.

I think Osirica is on to something here. Can you post your nute schedule or at least a small blurb on all the products you are using? It's a RDWC right? Are you using compost/manure tea? Props to Osirica for trying this and reporting his findings to everyone. He did his whole grow this way not just an experiment in the corner, that takes some balls.

RO/DI all the way baby!

Yes he is. I have been thinking about this for years but never thought to do it because I never wanted to overfert the plants due to so many different minerals in sea water at such high concentrations(especially calcium and magnesium). Hell mangroves grow just fine with their roots in the sea so I don't see why it wouldn't work and as Osirica has shown, it works! Great thread! :wave:

I am popping some Nirvana WR beans right now. I run single 5 gallon DWC buckets so I think I'll do a side by side soon. But it'll be couple weeks before I have any data.

Osirica, as you are running Himalayan sea salt, how does this differ from salts from current oceans? I guess this is similar to the Salt Lake salt questions. Is their any benefit to using salts from an active sea/ocean vs. dead ancient sea beds? I remember you espousing the merits of the "beneficial microherds" from the sea salts somewhere in your old thread. Now you use an ancient salt source? You said quote "they are ionic sea minerals extracted from ocean water with 98% of the sodium removed, high in magnesuim and packed with tons of trace minerals. All readily available kinda like chemical nutes but organic..." But now you use straight salt? This confuses me A LOT.

Stright Sea Salt or just Salt Minerals. please advise.

osirica420

works with and without the sodium..

its my opinion that it works better with sodium based off my research and growing experience with it and without...

I try to chose the salt with the greatest mineral makeup, himalayan and deepwater have the greatest variation..
if you combine the salt and mineral extract you will have a potent trace mineral mix with less salt...

its all up to u it all works, we just need to run clone test to see which works best..

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
has anyone tried the nutes form this site? Great Lakes Garden Supply seems to make a 3 part all organic nute. I am seriously considering buying it. I really like the seaponics idea. Does anyone have other info sources for seaponics?

I don't like their NPK ratios for mj

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Edit 3/21: Most DWC rigs can accept up to 2000 ppm, but not aero, where the plants are fed <2 seconds every 9-10 minutes with a blast of nutes at >50psi. Here, you run 2-400 in veg, 4-800 until 3-4 weeks left, then no more than 1000 ppms!

I use a 1/4 tsp of Him Sea Salt to 6G of grow/bloom nutes as an additive, but don't have to balls to run it straight. Seeds are too expensive not to know what the NPK ratios are.

Edit 3/21: Now that I have a good handle (not an expert) on aero, I can now spendmore time learning about nutes. Wow, have we been gettin hosed.

Over a month ago, I watched/read Big Mike's expose on mj nutrients. This opened my eyes. Today that was reinforced when I was rereading Jorge Cervantes "Indoor Marijuana Horticulture" Pg 165 Nutrient Solution Composition:

N 250ppms
Ca 200ppms
P 80ppms
K 300ppms
830ppms= NPK 250-80-300 (almost spot on what the lab analysis says some 9 years after this book was written). Perfect for aeroponics.

plus various trace and micro nutes.

Petflora,

a valid point about NPK and $ for beans. I'm gonna try to get this together for my next run.

Orsirica,
You just run 1500-2000 ppm from beans? not a gradual build up?

Thanks!

Balazar

I don't like their NPK ratios for mj
they make a 3 part base nute. They have an example feed chart on how to mix for veg and flower.

Couldn't you just change the ratio of part A to part B to part C for a more preferable NPK? Correct me if I'm mistaken but I though they made it in 3 part so you could adjust the NPK. This isn't really my area of expertise.

I have already posed the info on these nutes so ill just quote it
ALL AMERICAN MINERAL 3 Part Nutrient
From
www.greatlakesgardensupply.com

Here is a very simple sample feed schedule:​

GROWTH STAGE-----mL/gal---BLOOM---GROW---MICRO
Seedlings / Cuttings-------1.5-----1------1---
GROW------------------------5----7.5-----2.5--
BLOOM----------------------10-----0-------5---
BLOOM 0-5-4
GROW 2-1-6
Mineral/Micro 5-0-1

---All American Bloom Analysis---
------Guaranteed Analysis (%)-------
----------Primary Nutrient----------
Total Nitrogen (N)-----------------0
Available Phosphoric Acid (P2O5)---5
Soluble Potash (K2O)---------------4
---------Secondary Nutrient---------
Calcium (Ca)---------------------1.5
Magnesium (Mg)----------------------
Sulfur (S)-------------------------1
-----------Micro Nutrient-----------
Boron (B)---------------------------
Chlorine (Cl)-----------------------
Cobalt (Co)-------------------------
Copper (Cu)-------------------------
Iron (Fe)---------------------------
Manganese (Mn)----------------------
Molybdenum (Mo)---------------------
Sodium (Na)-------------------------
Zinc (Zn)---------------------------
---------Heavy Metals (ppm)---------
--------------Analysis--------------
Arsenic (As)------------------------
Cadmium (Cd)------------------------
Lead (Pb)---------------------------
Mercury (Hg)------------------------
Nickel (Ni)-------------------------
Selenium (Se)-----------------------

---All American Grow Analysis----
Total Nitrogen (N)-----------------2
Available Phosphoric Acid (P2O5)---1
Soluble Potash (K2O)---------------6
Calcium (Ca)------------------------
Magnesium (Mg)-------------------0.5
Sulfur (S)--------------------------
Iron (Fe)---------------------------
Manganese (Mn)----------------------

---All American Micro Analysis---
Total Nitrogen (N)-----------------5
Available Phosphoric Acid (P2O5)---0
Soluble Potash (K2O)---------------1
Calcium (Ca)-----------------------5
Magnesium (Mg)----------------------
Sulfur (S)--------------------------
Cobalt (Co)-------------------0.0005
Iron (Fe)------------------------0.1
Manganese (Mn)------------------0.05
Molybdenum (Mo)---------------0.0008

Derived from:

Pure sea water – perfectly balanced natural mineral solution containing up to 92 minerals, plus thousands of enzymes and aerobic bacteria. The minerals in sea water are in liquid crystalloid state, which pass easily through plant membranes.
The Original Himalayan Crystal Salt – 250 million year old sea mineral deposit from an ancient sea – now buried in a mountain range in the Himalayas. This salt contains 84 minerals which are in balanced proportion and are complementary with pure sea water. This salt has been extensively studied for its therapeutic qualities and the findings have been described in detail in the book Water and Salt: The Essence Of Life.

Humus – from biodynamic [bd] preparation # 500 and barrel compost. The functions of humus are well understood – the biodynamic versions are very powerful and aid in stimulating biological processes and healing the soil.

Silica – from biodynamic preparation # 501. Silica helps enhance the light metabolism of plants, aiding in the resistance to fungal dis-ease and chewing insects. The bd 501 also helps to encourage the growth of mycorrhizal fungus within the soil.

Yarrow – from biodynamic preparation # 502. Yarrow is a powerful healing herb and will help to restore damaged and exploited soil by enabling a deeper connection to the cosmic environment. It acts as a biocatalyst with a stimulating effect on plants’ use of sulfur and potassium.

Chamomile – from biodynamic preparation # 503. Chamomile helps stabilize nitrogen and aids in balancing silica and potassium in the soil. As in humans, chamomile is ‘soothing’ and aids in the digestive properties of soil and compost.

Stinging Nettle – from biodynamic preparation #504. Nettles prevent nitrogen from evaporating and enhance vegetative growth of all plants, especially during dry weather. The nettles preparation brings “intelligence” to the soil or compost, enabling plants to get what they need from their surrounding environment. Nettles tea is used as a flavor enhancer for crops.

White Oak Bark – from biodynamic preparation # 505. Extremely rich in calcium – approximately 78%. This preparation aids in the prevention and healing of plant dis-ease via the watery element.

Dandelion – from biodynamic preparation #506. Dandelion regulates the relationship between silica and potassium in the plant. Dandelion preparation brings awareness to the plants environment and helps it’s dis-ease immunity.

Valerian – from biodynamic preparation # 507. Valerian assists plants in finding their right relation to phosphorus. Biodynamic valerian also brings in the catalyzing effects of warmth to the soil and plants.

Equisetum arvense -(Meadow Horsetail) – from biodynamic preparation # 508. This tea is used to prevent fungal diseases through the mechanism of promoting the mycorrhizal fungus in the soil. This helps control the watery forces to prevent fungus.

Clay - mediates the cosmic influences from the soil [roots] upwards to the leaf, stem and fruit [the siliceous parts of the plant according to Steiner. Clay is the mediator between the Earthly lime [bd500] and the cosmic silica [bd501].

That's all cut'n'paste from the manufactures website. I formatted it into ASCII so it would be a little more readable on here.