What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

aquaponics - for the fish folk

Trev

i wish i had a Finnex M-tank to use as a rez. !! i cant afford one of those for my dedicated fish tank haha!

very interesting, i had a couple runt plants hangin in "RIParium" planters in my 55g planted FW tank... i think i got 4 grams from 3 plants?

Hephaestus

? Finnex M-Tank looks like one of those high falootin AIO reef tanks? That's literally a 4$ (new) chinese 10g tank (we had a local shop that imported all the aquatraders/etc stuff - the big ones sucked, but the little tanks ... well this ones held water for 6+ years now).

Problem is - you've got to keep the water temps down - I've heard 70F is actually too hot (that's about as low as I can get it).

Hope I'll see a little more than 4grams :)

Hephaestus

:tumbleweed:

Getting close to that first harvest I'm thinking... Plant 1 - Front left... Will be first, that little shorty on the right - finally doing better... She'll be second Had to do a bunch of pruning on middle left and back right so they didn't overgrow the cabinet...
Still dealing with some pH issues - add molasses pH goes to crap... But bulks up the buds like mad... So... ?! Molasses stays, just having to pH the system 2-3x per day (about 3-4ml of vinegar - just to keep things in context).

Might have snagged a couple buds off plant 1 to test...

And the Goldfish are getting HUGE!!! Were about 1/2" - now close to 2"... They like that NLS food and all the mysis...

Hephaestus

Harvested Plant 1 & 2 - had first smoke (ok we snuck a few test nugs). 4 days of drying - smoked a test joint today... Man, we's be baked... :joint: No harsh chemical taste... Way better than bought already - and not even properly cured :smokeit:

I love aquaponics!

corky1968

Veteran
I really like the idea of aquaponics. If I had a chunk of land I would surely do it.
I like fish culture and gardening. So the idea of using plants to filter of the excess
nitrates and phosphates in the water sounds very cool. I would raise trout, as I
live in a temperate country and really like trout from a fisherman's point of view.

The cool thing is that the plants would be able to have a nice organic
daily feeding in amounts that would never burn the plants and if there's
to much nutrients still in the water after the first pass. Then I would
just grow more plants till the water shows itself to be very low in
nutrients. Then, it would be recycled to the fish tanks. Any solid
fish wastes could also be composted to make plant food as well.

I believe that raising food this way is the way of the future.
At least, it friendlier to the environment than pig farming.

:laughing:

Latest posts

Latest posts