What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Homemade Organic Sweet/Sugar Daddy- ideas anyone?

I am thinking molasses, epsom salt. I want mag in there. It would give me sulphur as well if I am correct.

So the key is how to concentrate it to something that could be added to a res in a very consistant manor.

I am thinking heating a gallon of water and for every once of water adding 1 gal in the final res worth of molasses and epsom. That would give me 128 gallons worth of additive. 1oz per gallon.

Now what I need is the "right amount" of epsom and sugar per gallon. Consider this will be used from beginning to flush, and being added on top of MagiCal (or Cal Mag+) from the start.

Sugar Daddy label also gives us some very helpful info:

*1.6%- 10ml yeilds 42.5 ppm mag in a gallon of H2O

*contains 2% Cane Sugar in the bottle

I am thinking of adding a little citric acid to help stabilize (??) and for its flavor additive qualities.

Somehow keeping it in the fridge seems good to since there are no preservatives. Could cause percipitation though.

I know there are some folks here who have taken a good amount of chem, and more recent chem then me. . so I would love some assistance calculating the proper dosages from this info.

One less bottle $65 to buy at the store.

Hazy Lady

Prom Night Dumpster Baby
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Epsom @ 1 teaspoon per 10 lts and molasses at 1 level tablespoon works for my set up but i run to waste, I can say if i don't use a batch in 2 day's by the third the stuff is ripe and i mix fresh so i don't know how it would be in a res for any length of time it may go off, or the movement of water in your's may oxygenate the mix and prolong it's shelf life?, it may well be it is fine anyway even when fermenting but i never risked it.

No no, it's totally perfect, as I am in run to waste coco. It would be sitting in large res for a couple days at most, so I could mix on the spot I suppose. I am guessing simply mix desired amount with warm water, stir to dissolve- add to res. Gone in 48-72 hours.

That sound about right?

I wonder say, if I was making 40 gallons worth, if I could concentrate that to say a half gallon of water. That way 1 gallon would give me two reservoirs worth of the proper amounts. That really what I am after. . and I wonder how concentrated I could make a gallon be. Clearly the bottled stuff is very concentrated. I currently run to waste 7-10ml (about 110ppm) at most per gallon, even though the label calls for 20ml .. yeah right. . this is run to waste homeboy. .

TurboBob

I am thinking of adding a little citric acid to help stabilize (??) and for its flavor additive qualities.
citric acid to stabalize the ph??

here's something that's worked well:

sucanat @ 5ml/Gal or 150ml in a 30 gal res

epsom salt @ 2.5 ml/Gal or 75ml in a 30 gal res

you can find sucanat at whole foods or stored like that. Plants looove the sugar in that form, it's very easy for them to process it.

Hahaha. . . I worked at whole foods for years, I know exactly what your talking about.

You gave epsom salt as 2.5ml. . wouldn't it be measured in some dry quantity? ml is for liquids, correct? Maybe mg instead? Sept there is no way it's that tiny of an amount. Thats really tiny.

TurboBob

yes, you don't need to use very much of it, however this particular reciepe also includes 50ml of micronutes and 75ml calmag.

both the epsom salts and sacanuts are dry, but i measure them in the same measuring cup as my liquids. so 75ml in a 30 gal res, is about 2 shot glasses or so.

Hazy Lady

Prom Night Dumpster Baby
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Teaspoon is equal to 5 mls, so Bobs 2.5 per gallon is 1 teaspoon to 10 lts, yes you could easily mix a batch up ready to dilute as needed, just add 39 teaspoons of Epsom salts and whichever sugar you go with 39 lots of that, BTW, a tablespoon is equal to 3 teaspoons, you would need around 13 tablespoons if using molasses, all in the 40th gallon of water.

Thanks much, right after I made that post I had the total "duh" ml=tsp conversion in my head go off like a light bulb. Thanks so much gang!!

brownstormy

A little dated, but wondering if you settled on a recipe.
The collective I'm involved with needs to cut costs and would love to have a jug of this homemade stuff at each of our locations.

Would it be a bad idea to inoculate the mixture with various beneficials or could that result in the loss of the sweet/sugardaddy effect we're after?

I am thinking molasses, epsom salt. I want mag in there. It would give me sulphur as well if I am correct.

So the key is how to concentrate it to something that could be added to a res in a very consistant manor.

I am thinking heating a gallon of water and for every once of water adding 1 gal in the final res worth of molasses and epsom. That would give me 128 gallons worth of additive. 1oz per gallon.

Now what I need is the "right amount" of epsom and sugar per gallon. Consider this will be used from beginning to flush, and being added on top of MagiCal (or Cal Mag+) from the start.

Sugar Daddy label also gives us some very helpful info:

*1.6%- 10ml yeilds 42.5 ppm mag in a gallon of H2O

*contains 2% Cane Sugar in the bottle

Somehow keeping it in the fridge seems good to since there are no preservatives. Could cause percipitation though.

I know there are some folks here who have taken a good amount of chem, and more recent chem then me. . so I would love some assistance calculating the proper dosages from this info.

One less bottle $65 to buy at the store.

Would it be a bad idea to inoculate the mixture with various beneficials or could that result in the loss of the sweet/sugardaddy effect we're after?

Microbes are a very GREAT thing, brownstormy, and their metabolism is revved up by the carbs that sweeteners provide. Don't believe for a second that you can't cultivate beneficials in your hydro rig either. :good:

Latest posts

Latest posts