What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone ever use wood ash?

Malato

Have heard back in Kenya that wood ash is really good as far as flower nutes go. Makes sense but would like info on how to use in small container growing. How much do you use? How do you use it? And side by side with more common organic flower nutes how would you rate it?

just a pic of back in kenya lol

troutman

Seed Whore
It's full of trace elements but it will drive your pH up. So use very little and test for that. :tiphat:
Hardwood ashes like maple and oak are better than softwood ashes like pines.

Malato

It's full of trace elements but it will drive your pH up. So use very little and test for that. :tiphat:
Hardwood ashes like maple and oak are better than softwood ashes like pines.

thanks man! Ill try it out on a few outdoor bagseed

T

Teddybrae

A similar thread to yours ... somewhere here ... I can't find it ... suggested you put yr ash in a container and water the ash and drain off and use the now-alkaline water.
That same thread told that Manure will re-balance pH if you overdo the ash.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes, I've used it quite a bit. Wood ash is a classic source of K (potassium). IIRC (someone correct me) it's quite high in PH so you have to be a bit careful. Lately, I've been using more crushed hardwood charcoal (for BBQ, from home depot) and getting similar results plus the charcoal lasts a long time in the soil.

Malato

A similar thread to yours ... somewhere here ... I can't find it ... suggested you put yr ash in a container and water the ash and drain off and use the now-alkaline water.
That same thread told that Manure will re-balance pH if you overdo the ash.

hmm that could be why my peeps dont have PH problems i know they use alot of chicken shit on the field.

LungCooking

i spread 2 spoons of wood ashes on the top layer of my pots on the second week of flowering signs

that´s all, and water as i would normaly do

only if you want big heads

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
A few wood ashes are acidifying, i cant remember which, bamboo?.. The extra carbon is great for microbial life as well..

Latest posts

Latest posts