What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mass. Law Requires Pot To Be Tested But No Labs Licensed Yet

Smoke_A_Lot

ICMag Donor
Veteran
https://boston.cbslocal.com/2018/07/12/mass-law-requires-pot-to-be-tested-but-no-labs-licensed-yet/

BOSTON (AP) — The lack of any approved independent testing laboratories for recreational marijuana remains a key stumbling block to opening pot shops in Massachusetts.

The state’s Cannabis Control Commission has yet to approve any licenses for testing but did reveal Thursday that it had received the first completed application from a laboratory.

Commission chairman Steven Hoffman said he hoped the panel could vote on the application at its next scheduled meeting July 26.

Massachusetts requires all marijuana products sold commercially to bear a seal showing they’ve been independently tested for contaminants, and THC levels.

Three laboratories have been registered by state health officials to test medical marijuana, but they must apply for a separate license to test for the retail market.

No retail stores have opened yet in the state.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
I spoke with Steve Hoffman in person a few week ago.
He stated that no "untested marijuana will be legally sold in Massachusetts", but
they intend to allow some leeway (whatever that means) for Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard due to those locations being surrounded by federal waters and airspace, which would cause those who seek testing to violate federal law in order to travel to the mainland.
They realize that the investment of equipment and space is not feasible for a testing facility in those locations, particularly Nantucket.
He did suggest that growers and retailers on the islands consider pooling their resources in those locations in order to have the equipment required to meet the limited testing requirements.
So, that said, until approved labs are available for testing, no retail rec. is going to be sold anywhere in Ma.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
I heartily agree, Smug. However there are many who cannot for whatever reason grow their own and I support the ability to buy , legally without repercussions. Particularly for medical patients. The ability to do that should be predicated on the product being tested and safe.
I wont smoke weed I think has been contaminated or adulterated in any way. That is one of the main reasons I grow my own, Same as you.
Peeps who dont or cant grow should have the same option and be able to buy a tested product that ensures safety.

yardgrazer

Presumably until things really get up and running (and the predicted initial high prices go down a bit) the biggest customer base will be people unable to procure cannabis via some other route. And tourists.

It'll be interesting to see how it pans out. So far it isn't go that well and it doesn't breed confidence.

yardgrazer

In theory the CCC may act on the testing lab's license application at today's meeting. Hopefully things will move quickly for that place in central MA once the lab is ready to do testing.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
If there were no in state labs yet, who has been testing all the medical marijuana people have been smoking? Nobody?

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
There are three in state labs.
Okay but they are only licensed to do medical? Why is the state making them jump through more hoops to get a license to test retail weed? Just cause they can make more money off licensing fees? Will I ask something that's not a question?

yardgrazer

Okay but they are only licensed to do medical? Why is the state making them jump through more hoops to get a license to test retail weed? Just cause they can make more money off licensing fees? Will I ask something that's not a question?

Yes. Money. Yes. No?

How'd I do?

dufous

The language of the law requires it.

The law was written and passed by the people, not the state.

yardgrazer

Frankly, yes and no. The legislature wrote the law. The people voted on a ballot question, which did mention regulation and testing, but did not say elaborate as to what that would mean on a practical level, beyond that the CCC would develop regulations. So actually, the state legislature wrote the law, and amended the law as they saw fit, and the CCC was given wide leverage to develop regulations.

Not exactly the same thing as the people had their say.

yardgrazer

Anyway, WCVB said the CCC did not act on the testing lab's license in yesterday's session. They did grant provisional licenses to a few more facilities, including a 2 location chain of dispensaries, one in B'line and one in Northampton.

yardgrazer

Frankly, yes and no. The legislature wrote the law. The people voted on a ballot question, which did mention regulation and testing, but did not say elaborate as to what that would mean on a practical level, beyond that the CCC would develop regulations. So actually, the state legislature wrote the law, and amended the law as they saw fit, and the CCC was given wide leverage to develop regulations.

Not exactly the same thing as the people had their say.

Wouldn't you know it when I go and shoot my mouth off, sometimes I miss something. In the full text of the proposed legislation they do talk about testing briefly. My comment about it not being clear that getting to the point where testing would be done would be so burdensome. Except it involves the Commonwealth, so res ipsa I guess.

Muleskinner

Veteran
This is crazy MCR Labs is certified up the wazoo for medMJ they are solid as hell they should be licensed immediately - this doesn't pass the smell test IMO

yardgrazer

As much as Shalene W said they're making it a priority to license a lab, and that the hold-up is on the lab's end... I gotta kinda wonder if the CCC was stalling a little bit to allow other dispensaries to get themselves ready to the point that when a lab is licensed, they can do the testing and get a few dispensaries open at the same time. That is probably pretty sensible, lest there be total insanity at one or two dispensaries.

yardgrazer

According to an article on b .c I read earlier CCC should act on a lab's license application at the next meeting (8/23).

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
:woohoo: Looks like CDX Analytics in Salem and MCR Labs in Framingham. I can't find a price quote for CDX but MCR is 50$ for a Cannabinoid test and 25$ for a terpene test. Hand delivery only.

Last edited:

yardgrazer

The two labs got final approval at yesterday's CCC meeting. Retails sales said to begin "within weeks" (we'll see about that last bit).