What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"accidental" release of pollen

mtbazz

Looks like my laziness and forgetfullness has done me in again.

A few weeks back I had cut two branches off some plants that were in veg and put them in my tent under 12:12 to sex them. Well, I eventually forgot about them until just now when I saw one had actually hermied and released some pollen. Looks like it was only one sac that opened up. These were also pretty much at ground level, just a few inches from the floor of the tent.

I promptly removed them, and sprayed down the tent with water to hopefully render any pollen hanging around from doing its thing..

How fucked am I? I have two plants that are 3 weeks from finishing, and one that is just two weeks into flowering.

Im hoping the pollen was either sterile, or it was low enough to the ground that at most lower branches only will get pollinated.

As an FYI:

The one that hermied was one that in veg was an underperformer, and for some reason got slightly burned and stunted (despite other plants from the same seed pack being treated the same and doing fine). I was pretty tempted to cull this one, but was convinced here on icmag to give it a chance.

Lesson learned....under performers and stressed plants are just simply not worth the fucking time, effort, or risk..

Budley Doright

Veteran
I think you did fine....

Back when I was making seeds I would pollinate the preflowers only .... that way I got a few seeds but didn't seed the buds....

Rarely did I find any seeds other than the preflowers....

When I did this I mixed the pollen with flour.... turned off my fans ......and did my thing just at lights off.....

In the morning I would spray everything with water..... wait for it to dry..... then turn back on the fans.....

Without wind pollen will fall to the ground....

You don't mention that..... but in either case its unlikely to cause much damage...

That is unless you just cant live with an occaisional seed.....

Cannabis is wind-pollinated

Without air movement little chance of major damage being done...