What's new

A little bit of mold? Can i wash it?

S

Spider Crab

Hello icmagers,

I have a plant that has some small amounts of mold on some of the colas.

I just wondered if i could cut out the noticeable areas and wash the rest in some hot water?

Most of it looks fine but would washing with hot water help wash away any very small not visible particles?

Thanks for any help. :thank you: :ying:

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
doubtful worth saving...some molds can be systemic, some are toxic.
but always seek second opinion if the first makes sense.

S

Spider Crab

Yeah, i will be saving most of it.

I have read some people saying throw the whole lot away because some mold is invisible, but how does anyone know that they aren't smoking buds with 'invisble' mold then?

It has only just started, and i am trying to be cautious rather than irrational and throw it all away.

I just wondered if cleaning the unaffected areas is worthwhile, and if so, how would i clean it?

Thanks again.

S

Spider Crab

I forgot to say, it has finished flowering and has been harvested, so it doesn't have to grow anymore.

S

Spider Crab

No one else?

It is only a white-ish grey mold where some water has been trapped and tiny parts of the bud have started to deteriate.

I know most people say throw it away, which is what i would do normally, but it isn't black thick mold, which i read is very bad, i am trying to save what i can.......

dabking

If you have mold in the buds after harvest it sounds like you jarred them up too soon. No mold is safe to smoke. The only way I know of saving a moldy crop is with solvent extraction, winterizing, and a specific micron filter that will eliminate any mold spores. Thus leaving you with a pure absolute. But if you don't know your chemistry.... I would just sadly cut my losses. Be safe.

S

SooperSmurph

When fighting mold, if you're trying to save the harvest, being clean is key.

Most molds enjoy the same conditions as our plants, slightly acidic or neutral.

You can use Potassium Bicarbonate (organic PH up or Green Cure) as a mold control spray in late flower, this will change the ph of the surface of the plants as well as changing the PH in areas where it soaks into the flowers, preventing mold of many species from growing because only certain molds are able to withstand an extremely high PH.

Chemicals? No harvest. Neem? Harvest that tastes like Neem. High PH water is your best bet.

TIP: If you are trying to even out the distribution between white and mature hairs in your harvest, this type of spray, with the lights on, is a non-damaging way to achieve such an effect.

S

Spider Crab

Thanks for the replies.

I threw away the badly effected parts and the surrounding flowers, but kept the flowers that looked good.

DJXX

Veteran
careful with that one..you can get all kinds of lung problems from mold...make concentrates maybe..dj

MIway

Veteran
On half dried buds that don't look like they have any mold?

strip u'r nugs apart... take a look inside. what u c on the outside actually starts inside... and grows its way out. talkin botrytis here. a little like an iceburg. u likely have mycellium in the other colas that didnt actually make it to the outer edges yet... esp if some of the other nugs went crispy brown w rot. that means it went to sporulation as well & has been trying to spread. overall, its a bad situation.

personally... i'd consider it unethical to pass to anyone else, knowing it had mold & to cover it up. but that doesnt mean the whole crop has mold germinating, necessarily. you can still have a chunk of it free from mycellium, which is likely fine to smoke, for ur self. u should still disclose to anyone else, even after going thru w a loupe & tweezers.

FRIENDinDEED

A FRIEND WITH WEED IS A . . .
Veteran
seriously not worth the risk, just toss it and take preventatitve measures on your next go around.

"toss toss toss it away, live to grow and smoke another day"

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
strip u'r nugs apart... take a look inside. what u c on the outside actually starts inside... and grows its way out. talkin botrytis here. a little like an iceburg. u likely have mycellium in the other colas that didnt actually make it to the outer edges yet... esp if some of the other nugs went crispy brown w rot. that means it went to sporulation as well & has been trying to spread. overall, its a bad situation.

personally... i'd consider it unethical to pass to anyone else, knowing it had mold & to cover it up. but that doesnt mean the whole crop has mold germinating, necessarily. you can still have a chunk of it free from mycellium, which is likely fine to smoke, for ur self. u should still disclose to anyone else, even after going thru w a loupe & tweezers.

more eloquent than my brash 'maybe' but this is what I was trying to point out.

.........testify............. :biggrin::ying: