What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Which adhesive silicon is safe in res

Madasulike

Hi all
I'm having problems keeping the suction cups stuck to bottom of res after a little while the pump comes off the bottom as the suction cups are not doing the job very good
I was wondering which glue adhesive silicone would be good and safe to use to secure the suction cups for good not harming the water and other important things

Elite Nugz

I would just use something to weigh it down, like some big air stones.

Or you can give Marine Epoxy a shot. Not sure how safe it would be in a res though.

Find out what fish tank manufactures use to seal the edges of the tanks. Whatever they use, Im sure will work fine for ya.

Silicone

Silicone

You should find a number of suitable silicones at your hardware store, look for silicone safe for use on fish tanks, I also don't mind using roofing/guttering silicone thats safe for drinking water (people on tank water). I've used both with no problems.

Madasulike

You should find a number of suitable silicones at your hardware store, look for silicone safe for use on fish tanks, I also don't mind using roofing/guttering silicone thats safe for drinking water (people on tank water). I've used both with no problems.
Yes thank you I have been looking at fish tank glue safe when dried for fish so was going to try that

Dr.Nonagon

Silicone is pretty safe stuff, just make sure that it is fully cured before you add water to your res. It has a tendency to give off a lot of gas as it sets so just make sure that if you have a big project with silicon later that you have a well ventilated area.

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
Find the stuff thats "drinking water safe"

For small patches, or bulkhead fittings I've been using the 2 part epoxy stick that you knead. I've used quicksteel with no drinking water rating and it doesn't hut the plants when cured, JB weld also makes a 2 part epoxy that you also knead.. and its water safe.

I have used and seen people use plumers goop....it works really good better than anything else I've tried it ....it just has to be dry first then let it sit for a day or two and boom.....your done.....it's like 5 bucks at homedepot.....pro stuff:ying::biggrin:bless