What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

So many questions!! Excited newbie!

N

NoSocSlic

Okay... I have 1 plant going right now in a closet grow.

Specs:

pot: 1 gallon container

soil: Green Planet Naturals Premium Potting Soil ( http://www.greenplanetnaturals.com/premium-potting-soil-with-mycorrhizae-8-dry-quarts/ )

lights: 3x 26w 2600 CFLs

strain: ehh... Bagseed heavier on the indica side.

Daytime temp is 79 F nighttime is 75 F with 1 10in fan running 24/7

Overview:

I popped some bagseeds, 3 in total from a good bag. One didn't pop one grew bad so I culled it, and now I am left with this beautiful baby.

picture.php

She is now 20 days into flowering with no notable problems. She was vegged for 24 days then put into 12/12. I originally topped at the 2nd node and have been LSTing since then. She has 2 main tops and 16 secondary bud sites so far.

So I have some normal noob questions.

First the usual, how much do u think she will yield? Hoping for 14g. Do you think I will get more or less?

Next, how bad is this lady going to smell 5 weeks from now? It is growing on the top shelf of my closet (so it'll be top shelf bud either way lol) The door is shut all the time. Its pretty confined but not airtight.

With my temps am I running risky?

From your experience with hermaphrodites, when does this typically happen? Is it usually late into flower?

From my timeline do I appear to be on track developmentally?

Obviously, the tops will be the big producers but I am curious what these secondary sites are going to be like. It is a pretty even canopy. Should I only expect popcorn here?

I know I am getting really excited for 4/20. Do you think I can have some smokeables by then?

This is my second female ever and my first one was TINY! I want this one to go well but not so well I can't hide it.

Anything else you notice that may help me?

N

NoSocSlic

Also, I am curious if I should defoliate. I know this is a hot button topic but she seems a little bushy to me. When is a good time to remove some fans and how many should I take off if any?

N

NoSocSlic

thanks a bunch! I am all smiles about it! I'm still very new to all this and have been reading, reading, reading! I am figuring out that there are some things you just can't read, you have to go for it and see what happens.

coldcanna

Veteran
Looking very healthy man great work. I wouldn't bother defoliating, that is more geared towards canopy management when you have large plans or tons of small ones. I'd let that go as is until finish. Good luck!

Jnugg

Veteran
Nobody can tell you yeild...could be nothing could be something.

As far as defoliation,no not on that tiny plant.As said above it is for bigger and bushier plants/trees or in high density SOG's.

You're 20 days into flowering so you might have something by 4/20.

Invest in a good 60x to 100x scope to check your trichomes come week 6.

Look for trichomes to be as close to 100% milky/cloudy but more like 90% milky/cloudy and 10% clear or amber.

Good luck.

N

NoSocSlic

Thanks guys... I appreciate the advice. Its kind of hard hearing just let her go as is lol. The whole process is so exciting that I want stuff to do! I will heed your suggestions though.

Midnight Tokar

Veteran
If you want bigger buds get an HID.

Not just that but let the plants roots grow so they can feed the plant. Unless you transplanted to a bigger pot that pics shows her to be in what looks like a clear Tupperware container. That doesn't allow for much root growth. IMO you have to have the roots to get quantity. Sure you can do nice Micro grows but don't expect quantity from them.
If you ever let a plant go to full ripeness, you'll never chop early again! The buds will get huge from swelling, the pistils will turn dark and seem less, that will tell you they're close to harvest then check the trichs for the kind of high you want; clear/cloudy for racy to amber/cloudy for more of a body stone. I know it's hard but try and hold off chopping til she tells you she's ready.

Jnugg

Veteran
Meh,all clear trichomes are are immature trichomes,and all amber trichomes are is a sign of THC degrading to CBN.

Cloudy/Milky trichomes are mature trichomes.

N

NoSocSlic

Hey thanks you guys. I was just talking about repotting with a bigger pot and all new soil. I may do that tomorrow. I should have already but I've been LSTing, she has done so well that I let it go. I will probably do that tomorrow thanks. I appreciate the advice. Checking trichomes will be new for me, but it seems pretty straightforward. mostly clear not ready mostly to all cloudy is perfect. Thanks Jnugg and Tokar.

picture.php

If I repot, is it going to make me have to backtrack on the training or would it be okay to just retie?

Midnight Tokar

Veteran
Oh, I agree completely. What I mean by clear/cloudy is partly clear and the same for amber/cloudy with partly amber. Being as we don't know what type of high the OP is looking for I mentioned some options. There are more than a few growers who harvest an Indica early to get more of the racy high as well as those that let trichs get more amber to get the couch-lock effect.

Re-potting shouldn't affect your training at all, but I don't know how much good it will do as you're already in flower. Try to avoid clear containers, the roots don't like light.

draztik

Veteran
Yeah just retie and your good to go, roots need complete darkness so re-pot into something that won't let light through.

N

NoSocSlic

Oh, I agree completely. What I mean by clear/cloudy is partly clear and the same for amber/cloudy with partly amber. Being as we don't know what type of high the OP is looking for I mentioned some options. There are more than a few growers who harvest an Indica early to get more of the racy high as well as those that let trichs get more amber to get the couch-lock effect.

Re-potting shouldn't affect your training at all. Try to avoid clear containers, the roots don't like light.

I thought about that, harvesting a little early, but I don't want to sell myself short. Jnugg seems pretty onpoint with the normal consensus, 100% milky ideally. I honestly have never met a bud I hated :). I like indicas more than most but never mind being high as FK!

Jnugg

Veteran

Re-potting shouldn't affect your training at all, but I don't know how much good it will do as you're already in flower. Try to avoid clear containers, the roots don't like light.

IMO and IME,clear trichomes don't equal a racy high,and amber trichomes don't equal a true couchlock high but rather a muddy high.

If it's a racy uppity high you're looking for,grow sativas or heavily leaning sativa hybrids.

If it's a true couchlock high you're looking for,grow a pure indica or heavily indica leaning hybrid.

N

NoSocSlic

I'm really excited about the end product of this plant! I guess with bagseed it is hard to be sure how it will turn out, but this is from my favorite herb I get around here (with seeds). I only had 3 of the seeds left.

The first plant I grew was the same as this and although I didn't get much it smoked so good. Has a really deep and full flavor, but still quite sweet, that lingers in your sinuses all damn day. I don't know the genetics but the way it grows seems to be a relatively balanced hybrid. Who knows if I can ever get the same seeds again =( ... but who wants to get stuck on the one same strain forever.

Eventually I'll try ordering some again, but my first run with that got taken in Chicago. I wish I had some really good genetics to work with.

ALSO btw, will repotting this late cause troubles?

Jnugg

Veteran
Just take quite a few cuttings and root them.Turn one or two of the clones into a mom and as long as you keep her healthy and alive you can keep that strain for many many years.

With seeds you can/will end up with phenotypic variation unless it's a true IBL.

N

NoSocSlic

Plant repotted, got a nice wide pot for $1. I had to make drainage holes but I like it.

Jnugg, That is what I would like to do with her after she buds... do you have any experience revegging? I kinda just want to plant her in the wild and let her live out the season naturally, besides the occasional cuttings I'll be taking of course.

Jnugg

Veteran
Yes revegging works,just takes a good little while.

Next time,take clones before you flower.