What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sensi Seeds Maple Leaf Indica?

GoatCheese

Veteran
Wonder if anyone has grown WW, Ortega and MLI in same conditions. Would be a Nice grow journal!
Hi.

What do you mean by "Ortega"?

If you're referring to Ortega from MrNice Seeds, then it's not actually related to MLI, it's a Northern Lights strain.

The Maple Leaf-Ortega, is a "plant type" found out of a Mazar i Sharif seed lot by Nevil. One of these Ortega-plants was used in MLI. Nevil named the Ortega-type after the guy who gave/sold him the original Maple Leaf seeds, Jim Ortega.

Sensi Seeds' MLI = (Ortega x Afg-T/Skunk#1) x (Ortega x Afg-S/Skunk#1).

Afg-T and Afg-S females also came from the same Mazar i Sharif seed lot.

:)

Tipunch

Hi.

What do you mean by "Ortega"?

If you're referring to Ortega from MrNice Seeds, then it's not actually related to MLI, it's a Northern Lights strain.

The Maple Leaf-Ortega, is a "plant type" found out of a Mazar i Sharif seed lot by Nevil. One of these Ortega-plants was used in MLI. Nevil named the Ortega-type after the guy who gave/sold him the original Maple Leaf seeds, Jim Ortega.

Sensi Seeds' MLI = (Ortega x Afg-T/Skunk#1) x (Ortega x Afg-S/Skunk#1).

Afg-T and Afg-S females also came from the same Mazar i Sharif seed lot.

Hi Goat, I was talking about the SS version not MNS. My understanding, which could be wrong, is that Ortega, Afghan T & S all come from MLI?:tiphat: and MLi comes from Jim and his Mazar seeds. Don't see where the skunk is in the Sensi cultivar?

GoatCheese

Veteran
Hi Goat, I was talking about the SS version not MNS. My understanding, which could be wrong, is that Ortega, Afghan T & S all come from MLI?:tiphat: and MLi comes from Jim and his Mazar seeds. Don't see where the skunk is in the Sensi cultivar?
Hi.
Afg-T, Afg-S and the Ortega-types (males and females) come from Mazar i Sharif seeds, which were originally named 'Maple Leaf Wilson mix' or something like that, hence the name 'Maple Leaf' used by Nevil.
..not Maple Leaf Indica. MLI came later.

Nevil then crossed Afg-T and Afg-S females to a Skunk#1 male; then a male from each cross was crossed to an Ortega-type female; then a female was selected from one of these hybrids and male from the other and bred together. This hybrid was then named Maple Leaf Indica.

:

Ortega was never a seed line from Nevil or Sensi Seeds, only breeding stock. Ortega(maple leaf) plants were used in Sensi Seeds' Black Domina and MLI, perhaps in other hybrids also, i dunno.

The famous clone-only Ortega in USA also come from the original Maple Leaf Wilson-seeds.

Here's a post made by Nevil:

Q: "..[FONT=&quot]maple leaf indica according to Ed R (same book) is: Female Ortega15 x Sam afghan skunk X male Skunk 18.5. Any idea if this is correct?"[/FONT]
Nevil said:
I don't know what Ed is calling Maple leaf.
Ortega 15 was Maple leaf. This was crossed with AfgTx Sk and AfgS x sk males.
AfgT and AfgS were both sisters and pure maple leaf. Maybe Ed thought that AfgS meant Afg(Sam). It doesn't. The hybrid Ed is talking about is 3/4 Maple Leaf.
N.

https://www.mrnice.nl/forum/59005-post21.html

Hope this explains it.

Tipunch

Hi Goat, so in summary/shortcut MLI is 25% Sk1 and 75% WW mix (Afgh T, Afgh S, Ortega)?

Do some phenos of MLI really look like sk1?

Thanks for your input amigo :biggrin:

GoatCheese

Veteran
Hi Goat, so in summary/shortcut MLI is 25% Sk1 and 75% WW mix (Afgh T, Afgh S, Ortega)?

Do some phenos of MLI really look like sk1?

Thanks for your input amigo :biggrin:

What is this WW mix you're talking about?? White Widow?
There is no White Widow in MLI.

MLI is 75% Mazar i Sharif Afghani (Maple Leaf) and 25% Skunk#1.
In short, MLI is made of Afghani and Skunk#1

Afg-T, Afg-S and Ortega-types all came from the Mazari seeds, which Nevil named "Maple Leaf", after the source of these seeds = a guy called Maple Leaf Wilson.

Peace

Tipunch

Afg-T, Afg-S and Ortega-types all came from the Mazari seeds, which Nevil named "Maple Leaf", after the source of these seeds = a guy called Maple Leaf Wilson.

Peace
WW I meant Western Winds, sorry for confusion. Never Heard the story on the guy called Maple Leaf Wilson, just knew about Jim Ortega. I've seen posts of Nevil thinking Jim for his amazing contribution but never towards A Guy called Maple Leaf Wilson.

Tipunch

Peace
hey Goat, where did you read that MLI has skunk? My reading of multiple postes leads me to think that They used between 2 and 3 different Afghans from Mazar. So no skunk in MLI, it's 100% indica, with afghanica and indica variety.

Tipunch

I have 2 phenos right now, one dark leaves, shorter, round headed with white pistils. Second is taller, thinner leaves, pink pistils.

Any idea of differences in end product between the short white pistil vs taller thinner leaves and pink pistils?

:dance013:

GoatCheese

Veteran
hey Goat, where did you read that MLI has skunk? My reading of multiple postes leads me to think that They used between 2 and 3 different Afghans from Mazar. So no skunk in MLI, it's 100% indica, with afghanica and indica variety.
Hi.
Sorry for the late reply. Here's what Nevil wrote about the genetics used in MLI. Yea, MLI has three different Afghan females + Skunk#1 male(s).

Q: "..[FONT=&quot]maple leaf indica according to Ed R (same book) is: Female Ortega15 x Sam afghan skunk X male Skunk 18.5. Any idea if this is correct?"[/FONT]
Nevil said:
[FONT=&quot]I don't know what Ed is calling Maple leaf.
AfgT and AfgS were both sisters and pure maple leaf. Maybe Ed thought that AfgS meant Afg(Sam). It doesn't. The hybrid Ed is talking about is 3/4 Maple Leaf.
N.[/FONT]

Tipunch

Hi Goat, sorry to disagree if I may based on reading multiple posts on this.

First, we all know by now that Nevil got the MLI seeds at start from Jim Ortega, aka Dogless. Like Garlic bud and Kush4. Only Jim knows exactly how and where He collected those seeds.

Ortega15, AfgT (male), AgfS (female) are all pure MLI and Nevil confirms this in some posts he wrote.

Nevil said 2 important things, "his nose and intuition tells him that MLI and SK1 are distantly related" and then says "he believes, based on similarity of type and smell that MLi is the afghan behind the original skunks, instead of afghan1". So if he thinks MLI is behind SK1 then naturally, given MLI is 100%indica, SK1 is not in MLI, like the chicken and egg or snake bitting his tail. Can't be both ways and SK1 is sat/indica hybrid... When you read these different posts from Nevil, whats clear is that he doesn't know for sure the origins of MLI, nor does Sensi, only Jim does.

Reading posts from Dubi, Ganja, Silverback, Ortega seeker and others leads me to think MLI is A collection of different varieties from the Mazar region.

Last on the skunk and MLI, Nev confirms that MLI crossed with SK1 gets A better result than just MLI but no where has he said that skunk is in MLI. Further, he says that MLI crosses better with indica/sativa hybrids rather than with just another indica. So when he talks about afgT, afgS, and the Ortegas, he's advising to cross them with hybrids, like Sk1. And Nevil did cross the afgS (fruity pheno) with Sk1 male.

Happy to discuss this, I'm no expert, just making my own judgement. Peace

Last edited:

GoatCheese

Veteran
Hi Goat, sorry to disagree if I may based on reading multiple posts on this.

First, we all know by now that Nevil got the MLI seeds at start from Jim Ortega, aka Dogless. Like Garlic bud and Kush4. Only Jim knows exactly how and where He collected those seeds.

Ortega15, AfgT (male), AgfS (female) are all pure MLI and Nevil confirms this in some posts he wrote.

Nevil said 2 important things, "his nose and intuition tells him that MLI and SK1 are distantly related" and then says "he believes, based on similarity of type and smell that MLi is the afghan behind the original skunks, instead of afghan1". So if he thinks MLI is behind SK1 then naturally, given MLI is 100%indica, SK1 is not in MLI, like the chicken and egg or snake bitting his tail. Can't be both ways and SK1 is sat/indica hybrid... When you read these different posts from Nevil, whats clear is that he doesn't know for sure the origins of MLI, nor does Sensi, only Jim does.

Reading posts from Dubi, Ganja, Silverback, Ortega seeker and others leads me to think MLI is A collection of different varieties from the Mazar region.

Last on the skunk and MLI, Nev confirms that MLI crossed with SK1 gets A better result than just MLI but no where has he said that skunk is in MLI. Further, he says that MLI crosses better with indica/sativa hybrids rather than with just another indica. So when he talks about afgT, afgS, and the Ortegas, he's advising to cross them with hybrids, like Sk1. And Nevil did cross the afgS (fruity pheno) with Sk1 male.

Happy to discuss this, I'm no expert, just making my own judgement. Peace
Hi.
You're confusing "Maple Leaf" and MLI. These two lines are not the same.

"Maple Leaf" is a seed stock originating from Mazar i Sharif. Nevil sold this pure Mazar line as "Maple Leaf Wilson Mix" or something like that.
Nevil got this "Maple Leaf"-line from Jim Ortega and used three females from these seeds to create MLI with Skunk#1 male(s) as you can read from the quote by Nevil i posted earlier.

I'm quite sure Nevil himself knows which plants he used to create Sensi's MLI, so i think we should stick with that.
-
-
Sam Skunkman used an Afghani from Mazar i Shariff to create Skunk#1, and Nevil believed his Afghan-T female was somehow related to the Afghan used by Sam. = Both plants originating from the same area in Afghanistan.

Tipunch

Hi Goat,

So how do you read and understand the below quote ? Nevil is talking about MLI.

"Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevil
I don't know anywhere near as much about Afghanis as I'd like to. I've seen some great ones, but mostly cuttings. In my mind, they were all representatives of different sub-strains of indica, grown in the different valleys and regions of the Hindu Kush area. It's a pleasing thought. Ever so rarely, something comes along that I think, that's different, it's not one of mine, like that Purple British Hempire was talking about. Another valley maybe. As I puff away in my imaginary world, I'm comforted with dreams of Hash Plant hill or Maple Leaf mountain and G13 gorge. There must also be a lush valley that produced the fat sticky buds of the legendary Big Bud. Maybe there's a hidden Shangri-La that google earth can't find that hides delights as yet undiscovered.
Each of the indica lines seem to breed true to type, supporting the idea that we are dealing with separate families.

As pleasing as the idea is, it doesn't fit all of the facts as I know them. I'd still like to think that it is at least partly true, but I don't have direct evidence of this. I have evidence that like breeds like.

Maple Leaf indica threw a spanner in the works of my conveniently ordered universe. This strain was given to me by a guy known to me as Jim Ortega. The first noteworthy plant that popped out was like Big Bud. Despite looking like a full indica, it smelled like bubblegum (like BB). Next was a Hash Plant and Northern Lights 1 type, totally different. Finally came the 2 sisters I named AfgT and AfgS, these 2 encapsulated the full range of fruity Skunk types.

You can tell how it did my head in by the random names these plants got.
In the beginning I was happily calling it Maple leaf. Tralalalala, my universe is ordered, it's the Bug Bud type.
Then a certain hashy dankness came, and I started calling it Ort, for Ortega. After seeing just about every indica type, I get 2 archetypal skunk types. I haven't got a clue anymore and I'm calling it Afg, for Afghan.

What I can tell you is that each of the indica archetypes (as I think of them ), breeds true to type to a large degree. Big Bud breeds plants like Big Bud. Even the ML AfgT that came out of such a variable gene pool is dominant for it's type. Mixing and matching the various Afghan SK1 hybrids, which have become the mainstay of the commercial cannabis, will continue to throw back to the various Afghan types which in my mind, have been selected as the ideal type by different growers over countless generations, each grower picking the archetype he likes best in mixed fields. "

Tipunch

Jim gave MLI to Nevil

"Hey Nevil, welcome!
Hope you remember me a.k.a. J Ortega. We used to trade seeds back in the day back 20+ years ago. If you recall I sent you some Garlic Bud, Maple Leaf Indica, Hawaiian Indica and a few others in the mid 80's that you turned to gold. Still have some of yours still in the original small manilla envelopes you sent them in. To this day I am still growing your Hash Plant, G13 X HP and will grow them till I can no longer grow. I have yet to find any better meds than those grown from your stock.
Well it sure is a pleasure seeing you here. Drop me a p.m. when you settle in. Dogless"

https://www.mrnice.nl/forum/4-talk-...7-hi-all-welcome-nevil-forum-9.html#post57211

GoatCheese

Veteran
Hi, Tip
Sorry but i'm too tired to be interested in analyzing/explaining every quote about MLI.
In his posts Nevil clearly talks about Maple Leaf and MLI being two different lines, and tells that three different females from Maple Leaf-line was used to create MLI with Skunk#1 male

Here's the quote again in which Nevil clearly wrote MLI is 75% (3/4) "Maple Leaf" and the last 25% (1/4) is Skunk. See the highlights in red
He's replying to a question about the real make up of Sensi's Maple Leaf INDICA

Q: "..maple leaf indica according to Ed R (same book) is: Female Ortega15 x Sam afghan skunk X male Skunk 18.5. Any idea if this is correct?"
Nevil said:
I don't know what Ed is calling Maple leaf.
N.

Nevil is the guy who created MLI for Sensi Seeds, not Dogless/Jim Ortega, so we should take what he said about it as the way it is.
Peace.:)

Tipunch

Hi Goat, no harm :tiphat:

Below is another interesting post from Nevil:
https://www.mrnice.nl/forum/69453-post15.html

I understand that you're sticking to the post you are sharing but if you Forget that one post which isn't vert clear and take into account all the other ones I mention where Nevil says he thinks MLI is behind original skunk etc, then I think there are more facts that lead to think there isn't any skunk in Sensi MLI.

It's good to have different views, let's keep the search going.

Have A good one :dance013:

GoatCheese

Veteran
Forget that one post which isn't vert clear
Hi Tip
To me, Nevil's post about the make-up of Sensi Seeds' MLI is very, very clear = Ortega15 female crossed to both AfgTxSkunk and AfgSxSkunk males
= (Ortega15 x AfgT/Skunk1) x (Ortega15 x AfgS/Skunk1)

all the other ones I mention where Nevil says he thinks MLI is behind original skunk
No, i think he is thinking Afg-T Maple Leaf"-Afghani (..not MLI) is related to the Afghani Sam used to create Skunk#1.
Sam used a Mazar-afghani, which was skunky according to Sam, and Jim Ortega's/Nevil's "Maple Leaf" is also from Mazar i Sharif, as i already explained. Nevil also thought that the Afghan Sam used in Skunk can't be Afghani#1 but something that was related to the Maple Leaf-Afghani Afg-T
Nevil said:
..Let me say one more thing about ML AfgT. This plant had exactly the same smell as Sams best SK1 but more so. It is the true Skunk archetype. I do not believe for one N.Y. minute that Afghani#1 is behind the SK1...
https://www.mrnice.nl/forum/60338-post59.html

Q: "sam...was the afghan or columbian you used really skunky as hell to begin with?"
Sam Skunkman said:
Q: "From which region of Afghanistan did the 'Afghan' in 'Skunk #1' come from?"
Sam Skunkman said:
Mazar, but then crossed with a Columbian, then selfed, then the hybrid crossed with Acapulco Gold to make it a bit earlier.
But to be honest in the same seed batch from Afghanistan you will find many phenos, remember they may have thousands of females that the seeds came from, as well as thousands of males hitting every one of the females, so that is a lot of possible combos.....
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=1528952&postcount=163

Here's few posts by Nevil where he talks about "Maple Leaf" (..not MLI) and Skunk 1 crosses with both Afg-T and Afg-S females, as he does in quote about the make-up of Sensi's MLI.
Notice Nevil doesn't use the name MLI or Maple Leaf INDICA, he talks about "Maple Leaf" or in short ML (..not MLI).

Nevil said:
Maple Leaf was not related to Northern Lights and didn't cross well with pure NL. Too much Indica. Hybrids of both strains dis cross well when they contained more sativa.
ML loves Skunk1. My nose and intuition tells me that these two are distantly related.
[...]
N.
https://www.mrnice.nl/forum/62812-post81.html
Q: "Hey Neville, is the current MNS Afghan Skunk related to Super Skunk?"
Nevil said:
[FONT=&quot]Yep. Through AfgT (maple Leaf).
N.[/FONT]

https://www.mrnice.nl/forum/63087-post88.html
Nevil said:
It may have been something that I made.
The Maple Leaf cultivar AfgT had a full sister, AfgS. She was a fruitier counterpart to AfgT.
AfgSxSK1 was narcotically strong. I remember a few occasions that as group of people smoking it would suddenly get hit with a wave of warmth and then look at me with suspicion. I was inspired to cross this with the NL2xKush4, because I could detect a hint of commonality in the phenotypes. I never did find out how that panned out.
N.
https://www.mrnice.nl/forum/60471-post70.html

IIRC, Sensi Seeds implies their MLI is "PURE" Mazar i Sharif Afghani, but you have to understand that it was infact Nevil who actually made the cross for Sensi Seeds, not the people who run the company.
As i wrote in my last post, Nevil clearly says in his post the Sensi Seed's MLI is 3/4 pure Maple Leaf-Afghani and the one 25% comes from Skunk#1 male. It's a "scriptural fact" from the man himself, so why not believe him.

Well, this is about all i can say about this.
Peace

Tipunch

Hi Goat, you''re opinion is worth the considération from my view. unfortunately all these stories sometimes lack sufficient details So that we get A full picture, hence the different tracks we are following. I'l. Keep you''re opinion in mind next to mine. Maybe one day I'll have more facts which prove me wrong, no harm.

Shame there isn't more data on the pink pistils pheno.

Have a Nice one.:laughing:

Latest posts

Latest posts