What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sessions: Obama Marijuana Policy Remains In Effect.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran

NOV 14, 2017
Sessions: Obama Marijuana Policy Remains In Effect.

Obama-era guidance that allows states to legalize marijuana without federal interference remains in effect, U.S.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions said on Tuesday during a congressional hearing. He also conceded that cannabis is not as dangerous as heroin and that a current budget rider prevents the Department of Justice from prosecuting people who are in compliance with state medical marijuana laws.

"Our policy is the same, really, fundamentally as the Holder-Lynch policy, which is that the federal law remains in effect and a state can legalize marijuana for its law enforcement purposes but it still remains illegal with regard to federal purposes," Sessions said, referring to his predecessors as attorney general during the Obama administration.

Sessions made the comments in response to a question from Rep. Steve Chabot (R-OH) during a House Judiciary Committee oversight hearing.

Later, Sessions said, "I think that's correct," when Rep. Steve Cohen (D-TN) argued that cannabis isn't as dangerous as heroin. Under current federal law, both are classified under Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act, a category that's supposed to be reserved for drugs with a high potential for abuse and no medical value.

As attorney general, Sessions has the power to reschedule cannabis.

Also during Cohen's line of questioning, the attorney general said, "I believe we are bound by" a federal budget rider that bars the federal government from spending money to interfere with state medical cannabis laws. A federal court ruled last year, over Justice Department objections, that the rider specifically bars prosecution of patients and providers who are acting in accordance with those laws.

Earlier this year, Sessions, sent a letter to congressional leadership asking that they not continue the annual rider into the next fiscal year.

Sessions, a longtime vocal opponent of marijuana legalization, has previously said that the separate Obama policy on state marijuana laws remains in effect while the Department of Justice reviews potential changes, but has not before so clearly tied the Trump administration approach to that of his predecessors.

Under the so-called “Cole Memo,” named after the former Eric Holder deputy who authored it in 2013, the federal government set out certain criteria that, if followed, would allow states to implement their own laws mostly without intervention. Those criteria concern areas like youth use, impaired driving and interstate trafficking.

On the campaign trail, then-candidate Donald Trump repeatedly pledged to respect state marijuana laws.

But in April, Sessions directed a Justice Department task force to review the Obama administration memo and make recommendations for possible changes.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomang...ijuana-policy-remains-in-effect/#73b817bc3318

Last edited:

bigAl25

Veteran
I still want Sessions out ASAP, or die of natural causes tomorrow. He is an Alabama piece of shit politician.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Natural causes? You must be a saint, bigAl25! I can think of four or five tortures for that little asshole right off the top of my head!

topheavy420

The shear amount of panic and dispair only for things to remain the same is truely one of the most hysterical things I've ever witnessed.

Told ya so

Betterhaff

Veteran
He also said “it’s still illegal under federal law”. Well Beauregard, so is perjury, for lying under oath to a congressional panel. He seems to have a pretty bad memory and only remembered the campaign meeting which included Papadopoulos and Trump where Papadopoulos brought up his connections for the opportunity of obtaining information from the Russians. Sessions said his memory of the meeting was jarred when he saw the report on the news. Ummm…and this reporting came after Papadopoulos pled guilty for lying to the FBI. He also mentioned he didn’t remember that meeting because of the chaos of the campaign.

I do believe Sessions days are numbered.

On the cannabis issue, there really must be some strong pressure from the lobbies to keep it totally illegal on the federal level. It’s hard to believe a substance that was once a part of the US Pharmacopeia has become such taboo (for the last 80+ years). All about the money and control.