What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

WARNING - FAKE NEWS - Cannabis DOES make people more violent!

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Oh ..here we go again, another BS report from the MSM newspaper 'The Daily Mail' (Fail).

'Smoking cannabis DOES make people more violent: Project confirms for the first time that using the drug is the cause of crimes
Cannabis users more likely to commit violent crimes, research has shown.

Study found there was a ‘more constant relationship’ between cannabis and violence than between alcohol or cocaine use and violence
More than 20 US states have legalised cannabis for medical purposes

Cannabis users are more likely to commit violent crime, pioneering research has shown.
It warned those who smoke the drug regularly run an increased risk of using violence against others.

The project is the first to demonstrate that cannabis is not only linked with violent crime but is the cause.

Violent incidents monitored by the study based on the lives of more than 1,100 American psychiatric patients included assaults, attacks with weapons and rapes.

Researchers said that cannabis causes violence and they found no evidence that the link is the other way round – ie that violent people are more likely to use cannabis.

There was no support, they added, for theories put forward by campaigners anxious to free the drug from the taint of links with crime.

The academics said the effect of cannabis use was clear and not diminished by other factors such as patients who were heavy drinkers of alcohol.

The study comes after a series of American states have decriminalised cannabis – despite it being stronger and more potent than the hash smoked by hippies in the Sixties – or made it available for medical use.

A number of influential figures have backed a campaign for British laws banning the drug to be relaxed, including Richard Branson, Sting and former Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg.

Even Prince William gave a boost to the liberalisation lobby last month when he asked a group of recovering addicts at a drugs charity about legalising banned drugs.
The Prince observed: ‘There’s obviously a lot of pressure growing on areas about legalising drugs.’

A string of serious crimes has been committed by users of skunk cannabis.

Muhiddin Mire, 30

The schizophrenic was jailed for life for the attempted murder of commuters at Leytonstone Tube station, East London, in 2016. A court heard his addiction to skunk cannabis had altered his brain to make him believe he was being followed by MI5.

Walter Pantellaro, 27

The kung fu champion was tried for kicking his way into a London flat in March and attacking a woman, 22, with a knife. She was saved by her 15-year-old brother, who was hurt as he defended her with a chair.

Pantellaro, a schizophrenic who thought he was God, told police he had taken cocaine. But tests showed the only drug in his system was cannabis.

Nicholas Salvador, 25

A cage fighter, he was detained indefinitely at Broadmoor for beheading an elderly woman with a machete on a rampage through gardens in North London in 2015.

He was a heavy user of skunk cannabis and thought his victim was Adolf Hitler or a demon in the form of an old lady.

Matthew Graham, 29

The office worker was detained after stabbing a prostitute in the neck with a seven-inch knife in Rochdale in 2015.

He struck her with such ferocity that the handle snapped off while the blade remained lodged in her neck. The court was told he was a schizophrenic whose attack had been triggered by his use of cannabis.

Michael Adebowale, 22

The Islamist extremist was jailed for the murder of drummer Lee Rigby in Woolwich, South-east London, in 2013. His trial heard that his symptoms of psychosis were increased by heavy use of cannabis.

Frederick Russell, 28, He was tried for stabbing a homeless man near Putney Bridge Tube station, West London, in 2013. Russell was said to be a schizophrenic with a history of alcoholism and cannabis use.

Nicola Edgington, 32

She was convicted of murder after stabbing a stranger Sally Hodkin, 58, in the street with a 12-inch butcher’s knife in 2013.

Edgington had been in detention for killing her mother but had been freed. Before the stabbing, she had told a psychiatric nurse she had stopped taking her medication and had used skunk cannabis.

The latest study by five researchers from institutes based in Montreal, Canada, examined the lives of 1,136 men and women who were patients at psychiatric hospitals in Missouri, Pittsburgh and Massachusetts.

Records were gathered from interviews carried out every ten weeks for a year after their discharge.

It said patients who were using cannabis at each of these five checks were nearly two-and-a-half times more likely to have turned to violence than those who had not used the drug.

The study pointed to ‘significant findings regarding the adverse effects of cannabis use on violence’.

It found there was a ‘more constant relationship’ between cannabis and violence than between alcohol or cocaine use and violence. The researchers said the link between cannabis and violence was not two-way but ‘uni-directional’.

Contrary to claims that violent people were drawn to use cannabis, researchers found ‘it was cannabis use that predicted future violent behaviour’.

The academics said psychiatrists and medical staff should watch for cannabis users among those who had been in hospital for mental health problems. The team, led by Dr Jules R Dugre, said existing evidence on the links between cannabis and violence was ‘limited’ but their project had ‘clinical and violence risk management implications’.

Kathy Gyngell, a fellow of the Centre for Policy Studies think-tank, welcomed the ‘definitive study’ and called for official action. ‘Government has been seriously negligent,’ she said.
‘Where is the public health campaign on the risks of cannabis? If ministers had any sense they would know that we cannot afford this public health and safety crisis.

‘It must lead the Government to review their community care policy for such potentially violent individuals to better protect the public.’
The study in the journal Frontiers in Psychiatry flies in the face of claims of former drugs tsar Professor David Nutt.

He was sacked by the Labour government in 2009 for opposing the decision to reclassify cannabis from Class C to Class B. Prof Nutt has long argued that alcohol was ‘considerably more dangerous’ than the drug.

More than 20 US states have in recent years legalised cannabis for medical purposes.
Four – Colorado, Alaska, Oregon and Washington – have allowed its recreational use.

After the relaxation in 2012 in Colorado, cannabis use by students aged 12 to 18 has become the highest in the country. Figures show 57 per cent tested positive in high school tests.'

What utter FAKE NEWS GARBAGE!

Here are some sensible comments on that FAKE news report.

Another "fake news" story. This is so incorrect. The people in the study were all from a psychiatric hospital. They were all violent. There is the answer to your story. The marijuana had nothing to do with the story. I personally have been smoking for 43 years. Have NEVER had a violent incident in my life. Also had alcoholics in the family. No way that a person can tell me that alcohol and violence are NOT more likely than marijuana and violence. Alcoholics turn to violence with regularity. Never have seen that with "potheads" and I guess I have been studying this a lot longer than this stupid "supposed study." Brother died from liver failure at the ripe old age of 46 thanks to alcohol. Been smoking pot 43 years, liver in good shape, no violence in my life. I'll stick with the pot.

What nonsense. I've known many cannabis users and almost ALL of them have been responsible people with white or blue collar jobs. Your description of users as wastrels and losers is very far from the truth. Generally they are more caring and aware of others, and more peaceful, insightful and thoughtful people. A cannabis user is more likely to want to discuss philosophy with you than to attack you.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...nnabis-DOES-make-people-violent.html#comments

Last edited:

buzzmobile

Veteran
Apparently it's true, Gypsy Nirvana. Cannabis use caused your violent use of bold text, some exclamation marks, and CAPITAL LETTERS!

I haven't heard such reporting since I was a pimply faced high school kid in '67.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Apparently it's true, Gypsy Nirvana. Cannabis use caused your violent use of bold text, some exclamation marks, and CAPITAL LETTERS!

I haven't heard such reporting since I was a pimply faced high school kid in '67.

Yeah......it's like going back to the 'Reefer Madness' days when people were told that crazy people were shooting up with Marijuana.

....and yes it does cause me to rebel against such disinformation, but I doubt that I could actually get violent about it. Last time I got violent towards someone I hadn't toked in nearly 2 years, and had to defend myself.....against some religious extremist, who didn't like the questions I was asking, when banged up in that Manila detention jail.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
And some people will believe this garbage!

That's the real problem.
Too many people will just believe & not use any kind of critical thinking or fact checking.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
And some people will believe this garbage!

That's the real problem.
Too many people will just believe & not use any kind of critical thinking or fact checking.

Slowly but surely the real information is getting out there....Just look at the comments on that Daily Mail article where so many more/better informed people are as pissed off at that kind of reporting as we are, and know what is FAKE NEWS concerning cannabis, and what is not.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a....html#comments

Moppel

Grower for Life
Veteran
A string of serious crimes has been committed by users of skunk cannabis.

Hilarious!

P

pangolin

Slow news day for the DM!

Problem is that these myths still endure with members of the psychiatric/medical profession and other people in 'authority', hopefully as the older generations die out so will their moralistic misinformed views.

Any violence I have committed whilst using cannabis has been directed toward the food in my fridge; usually chopped up into small pieces and subjected to scorching temperatures :biggrin:

I wood

My 12 year old kid was taught last week in health class that cannabis can kill you.
After meeting with the teacher and principal they agreed to correct the curriculum, but only after I threatened to out their ignorance on social media and anywhere else I could.
I'm so glad my bluff worked, I don't Facebook or tweet, but they didn't know that.
Stupid is all around.

420empire

Veteran
Pure nonsens! Just because they are angry and then they also consume cannabis, it donsen't mean that it makes them more violent. If they grow up with a angry dad, and without love, then cannabis is mayby not the right drug... These days are so biased towards anti everything.. sad but true. Thanks for the read gypsy :)

geneva_sativa

So, if we as a community, know this is bullshit. . . imagine what other things they are lying to us about every day with their "news".

X

xavier7995

Isn't that a tabloid publication...who takes those seriously? It's slightly more credible, but it exists in the realm of publications that report Elvis is alive and the love child of Bigfoot and the loch Ness monster. Wikipedia won't even allow it as the source/citation for their articles.

Is this why people say the MSM is full of it? If so, well...yeah I guess, but lumping tabloid garbage that is designed to sell through sensationalism with actual news publications is pretty disingenuous.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Its as if publications like The Daily Mail have a hidden agenda, possibly supported by industries such as liquor/big-pharma and law enforcement to cast as much negativity on cannabis use as is possible by printing such tripe as we see in this article.

As we all know cannabis is not good for everybody, and the few that use it and abuse it or it doesn't agree with their metabolism, or they already have a disposition towards psychological problems that cannabis perhaps exacerbates are featured to try and scare people away from even considering trying the plant.

Scaremongering is what you could call it.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I went to the Daily Mail website and read the article in it's original text!

I've been smoking pot since 1969 in high school, and even though I read and was told a lot of bullshit then, even that could hardly compare to the absolutely utter nonsense being spewed forth in this modern day article....

Even those responsible for this trash know that it is not true,
however they obviously are against cannabis, and are using their position with this rag of a paper to push their agenda.

Gry

When I hear of such practices, the name William Randolph Hearst always comes to mind.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran

I've been smoking pot since 1969 in high school, and even though I read and was told a lot of bullshit then, even that could hardly compare to the absolutely utter nonsense being spewed forth in this modern day article....

however they obviously are against cannabis, and are using their position with this rag of a paper to push their agenda.

I find this Daily Mail kinda strange in what they report over cannabis lately Bud, a few weeks ago they had an article on how cannabis aids sleep, and I made this post about it:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=345711

In that post it seems like that publication was reporting something factual and reasonable about cannabis that made sense. Then today we get this complete garbage on how cannabis is supposed to make you violent....it just does not compute.

Perhaps they don't necessarily have a hidden agenda, and are just reporting on what so-called 'experts' are spewing out to sully the waters on the real truth about this plant?.....who knows?

I too have used cannabis since 1975, and haven't murdered or seriously maimed anyone, and don't know any canna users that have done under the influence.

Badfishy1

Just waiting for the LV narrative to switch to dude was smoking reefers so he shot 500 people. Once the propaganda machine starts it doesn't end. MSM is nothing more than the propaganda wing of govt

Badfishy1

Gonna have to disagree with the 'they are obviously against cannabis' part my friend. They are just for having their pockets lined w big pharma and industrial prison shekels m8