What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Q: butter/oil infusion and Decarboxylation

Iamnumber

Hi,

Dose plantmaterial Decarboxylate when infused and cooked in oil?

From Decarboxylation thread 120C for 60 - 120 min would be 'Good - Very good'

Sooo.. would cooking plantmaterial in butter or oil at 120C for 60-120 min result in THCA conversion to THC (and other things that might happen during Decarboxylation?) AND result in chemicals from plant material (THC, CBD etc.) being infused in butter/oil?

If not, please explain why this would not work.

It is my understanding that when making cannabis butter or oil infusion only part of available chemicals are transferred/attached to fats. Would it be a good plan to re-use the plant material with second patch of butter/oil? Would there be danger of over Decarboxylation of the plant material. (As the plantmaterial is already cooked once for 60-120min @ 120C .. this second cooking would push the total time to 120 - 240min at 120C and thus the second patch would run into risk of overDecarboxylation ??

How well do THC,CBD,etc. transer to oils at low temperatures like room (22C) or grow tent 27C? or cooking for well below Decarboxylation heat/ time limits? (if heat helps the transfer?)

Help, advice and links/pointers would be much appreciated.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
There are many ways to go about it. Most recipes will decarb in the oven first, then perform the extraction with oil/ghee. You can do it the other way around: extract with oil/ghee at lower then decarb the oil after removing the plant material.

You could also do a different extraction like rosin, bubble, or dry sift. Then you can decarb that and add it to the oil. The advantage here is better control of dosing.

Iamnumber

So..

forgetting about Decarboxylation for a second and focus on transfer from plant mater to oil.

What would be a good temperature(and time) to use when trying to transfer thc/thca etc from plant material to oil? room temp or grow tent temp would be easy to manage over a longer (more than few hours) time period.

How much of the thc etc is transferred during this? I mean .. is it good idea/ worth effort to do the transfer process a second(third) time? (move the plant matter(PM) into oil with none / lower amount of desired chemicals in order to get most out of PM)

I have only flavored some olive oil with chili, garlic and lemon .. and only tried those so newbie.. I did this in room temp and over several days (perhaps two or three weeks max)

Ty Gry for the link.. that is indeed the thread I have been reading about temp/times of decarboxylation. I have only done basic curing.

Ty for the links ReikoX, I think oil solution is the easy way to move forward for me. Low / no investment to equipment. works on small amounts of plant material.

So I vision something like this..
1. short water curing to wash out green/nutriens/undesirables from plant matter (PM) .. exact number of washes yet to be decided. 4 to 6? (more to was and not to cure PM)
2. Should PM be Dried before soaking in olive oil?
3. Soaking PM1 in olive oil 1. (soak PM1 in olive oil 2 ??)
4. Decarboxylate the olive oil 1.

Any links to research or discussion on details of this transfer process? (I have found none)

Latest posts

Latest posts