What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vintage News Articles & Finds

billycw

Veteran
"The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable living from a small piece of land."
~Abraham Lincoln

f752818be21e3be0072ed89d23b9f356.jpg

Vincent Van Gogh - First Steps [1889]

3d5f070952a645e7fcfe5d39c62d2877.jpg

"Olive Trees," 1889, Vincent Van Gogh

46ab3738d385539d8391246bcca9005e.jpg

Vincent van Gogh - Lane of Poplars at Sunset, 1884

Betterhaff

Veteran
Two of my favorite artists just showed in this thread recently. Van Gogh and Dali. In school I made a slide presentation of each...still have the slides, need to get them digitalized. The music was from the "Stan Getz & Bill Evans" album.

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
420giveaway
Before some month I read a wonderfull book, written by the jazz musican Mezz Mezzrow. A long forgotten time was standig up for me. It´s about Jazz, Weed, Opium, Rasicm and humanity.

Anyone who likes to listen to the changing winds of America might choose to read the autobiography of Fitzhugh Ludlow side by side with that of the jazz musician Mezz Mezzrow, who claims to have brought the ”mode du marujuana” to New York.
Mezz Mezzrow, a white, Chicago-born musician, felt so close to the Negro world and its music that he chose to relocate himself in Harlem. Referring to the block-long walk, between 131st and 132nd Street on Lexington Avenue, which he frequented, is this note: “My education was complete on The Stroll, and I became a Negro. The next ten years of my life were to be spent there.”
Mezzrow's career prior to Harlem led from Chicago's Northwest Side to a reformatory whose Negro members infused him with a deep liking for what he felt were the only sounds of jazz: “I've played the music in a lot of places these thirty years, from Al Capone's roadhousees to Harvard University, dicty Washington embassies and Park avenue salons, not to mention all the barrelhouse dives. It's the same music I learned in Pontiac. The idiom's still with me.”
During this period, Mezzrow was also to become an opium addict and received a sentence of three years to Riker's Island prison, for being in possession of “reefers”--marihuana cigarettes. Among many observations of the Jazz-marihuana relationship made by Mezzrow is this one: “Us vipers began to know that we had a gang of things in common...we were on another plane in another sphere compared to the musicians who were bottle babies, always hitting the jug and then coming up brawling after they got loaded. We like things to be easy and relaxed, mellow and mild, not loud or loutish, and the scowling chin-out tension of the lushhounds with their false courage didn't appeal to us.
”Besides, the lushies didn't even play good music—their tones came hard and evil, not natural, soft and soulful...We members of the viper school were for making music that was real foxy, all lit up with inspiration and her mammy.”
Marijuana was Mezzrow's first experience with drugs.
He felt the action of his first “reefer” cigarette while he was making music on the bandstand of a roadhouse in Illinois. The reaction on both him and one member of that audience in particular, in the days when liquor was not licensed, are the scope of this drug-experience. It is located in Mezzrow's autobiography, Really the Blues (1946), written in collaboration with a novelist with an ear for the music of speech and a man who likes to make words, Bernard Wolfe.

Mezz_Mezzrow_in_his_office,_New_York,_N.Y.,_ca._Nov._1946_(William_P._Gottlieb_2).jpg

really%20the%20blues.jpg

15e69004dd858428c818cfa291228.jpg

220px-NOrleansLabelViper.jpg

Louis Armstrong with a Joint

LouisArmstrong_joint.jpg

billycw

Veteran
Loving the share Hermanthegerman, have Ludlow's book on my amazon list will have to finally pull the trigger:tiphat:

Betterhaff, next trim session I know what I'm listening to, thanks for the share:biggrin:

41PJHPNZ99L._SX308_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Pioneer of Inner Space: The Life of Fitz Hugh Ludlow

billycw

Veteran
"As far as I can tell, a massive electric shock. He must have died instantly."
-Dr Who the first seconds after the unsolved Max Headroom Incident, hacking WTTW November 22nd, 1987

max_headroom_the80sman.jpg

Max Headroom

"a giant masterpiece for all the greatest world newspaper nerds"

"By the time our people began looking into what was going on, it was over," a spokesman for WTTW commented on the 1987 tv hack of Dr Who. This was the second of two unsolved tv hacks in the Chicago area. With earlier tv hacks solved pretty quickly, this hack continues to stand out...

November 22nd, 1987 during the Chicago's WGN's Channel 9's Nine O'Clock News, a break in transmission cutting to a Ominous Max Headroom character bouncing around with a close rendition of the original background.

Max Headroom WGN9 Pirating Incident - 11/22/87 9:16pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM7Q1WiepoQ
[YOUTUBEIF]sM7Q1WiepoQ[/YOUTUBEIF]

Max_Headroom_broadcast_signal_intrusion.jpg

Max Headroom pirate 1987

"Well, if you're wondering what’s happened," he said, chuckling nervously, "so am I." reporter for WGN after the hack.

Almost 2 hours later technicians and federal agents were wondering the same thing at affiliate station WTTW as Max strikes again only this time gaining audio starting and stopping the transmission himself.

Max Headroom WTTW Pirating Incident - 11/22/87 (Subtitled) 11:15pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWdgAMYjYSs
[YOUTUBEIF]tWdgAMYjYSs[/YOUTUBEIF]

"Come get me bitch!" parting words of Max Headroom tv pirate.

The fact that this case still remains open when so many were tracked down so quickly before and after makes this OG hack a legend of simple elegance "frickin nerd" style

9dcff0f7671b8c17ff7ee74ffb93b7fe.jpg

Hackerman from Kung Fury

HACKERMAN'S HACKING TUTORIALS - How To Hack Time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEkrWRHCDQU
[YOUTUBEIF]KEkrWRHCDQU[/YOUTUBEIF]

billycw

Veteran
Fiddlers’ Green
poem origin and author unknown

Halfway down the trail to Hell,
In a shady meadow green
Are the Souls of all dead troopers camped,
Near a good old-time canteen.
And this eternal resting place
Is known as Fiddlers’ Green.
Marching past, straight through to Hell
The Infantry are seen.
Accompanied by the Engineers,
Artillery and Marines,
For none but the shades of Cavalrymen
Dismount at Fiddlers’ Green.
Though some go curving down the trail
To seek a warmer scene.
No trooper ever gets to Hell
Ere he’s emptied his canteen.
And so rides back to drink again
With friends at Fiddlers’ Green.
And so when man and horse go down
Beneath a saber keen,
Or in a roaring charge of fierce melee
You stop a bullet clean,
And the hostiles come to get your scalp,
Just empty your canteen,
And put your pistol to your head
And go to Fiddlers’ Green.

vuWHq9f.jpg

Military personnel observing one of the tests in the Buster-Jangle Series, 1951

luxemodo-075-028.jpg

A mother and her son look at the mushroom cloud following a nuclear test in Las Vegas in 1953.

billycw

Veteran
"I love having my hands in the dirt. It is never a science and always an art. There are no rules. And if it comes down to me versus that weed I'm trying to pull out of the ground that doesn't want to come out? I know I'll win."
- Matthew McConaughey

8d9ad9dbfc4e85ebac03f1549e97ea65.jpg

billycw

Veteran
“The poets say some moths will do anything out of love for a flame...

The moth takes off again, and we both step back, because he's circling at eye level now and seems to have lost rudder control, smacking into the wall on each round. He circles lower and lower, spinning around the candle in tighter revolutions, like a soap sud over an open drain. A few times he seems to touch the flame, but dances off unhurt.

Then he ignites like a ball of hair, curling into an oily puff of fumes with a hiss. The candle flame flickers and dims for a moment, then burns as bright as before.

Moth Smoke Lingers.”

― Mohsin Hamid, Moth Smoke

The_White_Slave.jpg

L'esclave blanche (The White Slave) Jean Jules Antoine Lecomte du Nouÿ c.1888.

billycw

Veteran
Create Moods Unlimited...

You can feel the late 60's dripping off this thai bong ad circa 1969:biggrin:

1_2f295b78b9dbe39417dbb7fe11d08656.jpg

1969 thai bong poster from Bloomington Illinois

billycw

Veteran
the Fort Laramie treaty of 1868...

south-dakota-mount-rushmore_12409_600x450.jpg

Mount Rushmore, the Black Hills, South Dakota...

Private Hervey Johnson wrote home that Maynadier had been making nothing but promises to the Indians all spring, “the most of which he is unable to fulfil, and in fact being drunk most of his time I guess he don’t know half the time what he is promising.”

ftlaramietreaty5.jpg

Lakota chief Man Afraid of His Horses smokes a ceremonial pipe at the Fort Laramie treaty negotiations, 1868. National Anthropological Archives.

"In 1868, men came out and brought papers. We could not read them and they did not tell us truly what was in them. We thought the treaty was to remove the forts and for us to cease from fighting... When I reached Washington, the Great Father explained to me that the interpreters had deceived me. All I want is right and just."
- Chief Red Cloud

Red-Cloud.jpg

Red Cloud and Council 1865- Standing - Red Bear (Sons Are?), Young Man Afraid of his Horse, Good Voice, Ring Thunder, Iron Crow, White Tail, Young Spotted Tail. Seated - Yellow Bear, Jack Red Cloud, Big Road, Little Wound, Black Crow.

In 1877 the United States Government void the Fort Laramie treaty, taking back the Black Hills...

6.jpg

-Ghostdancer, by David Michael Kennedy Lakota Nation Palladium Print

“They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but they kept only one; they promised to take our land, and they did.”
-chief Red Cloud

red_cloud_chewing_tobacco.jpg

No worries Red Cloud, royalties in the mail I'm sure

billycw

Veteran
Albuquerque morning journal,
February 17, 1921,
CITY EDITION

Although New Mexico had cannabis regulated under a poison act pre1937, this only regulated the sale of the "Poison" leaving legality of possession questionable in the early days. Why not just use a easy charge to send a point and keep you moving on your way... away from town... their town...

Albuquerque morning journal, February 17, 1921
Albuquerque_morning_journal._February_17_1921.jpg

billycw

Veteran
"The secret of improved plant breeding, apart from scientific knowledge, is love. While I was conducting experiments to make spineless cacti, I often talked to the plants. . . . "You have nothing to fear," I would tell them. "You don't need your defensive thorns. I will protect you." Gradually the useful plant of the desert emerged in a thornless variety."
- Luther Burbank

62ea9fc0ca64cf0bd31796b73f06d701.jpg

Isabella and the Pot of Basil - John William Waterhouse ,1907

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
420giveaway
Some Posters from the spanish civil war. My hero was buenaventura durutti. I visited his grave in the 90s, in Barcelona.

tumblr_mjaysmLfBy1rv90qio4_500.jpg

0188.jpg

ZPHL9.jpg

republican-propaganda-poster-from-the-outbreak-of-the-spanish-civil-picture-id566467217

81lfOmCjMHL._SL1500_.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts