What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

the questions about CMEP-OL oil less explosion proof recovery pump

APK47

This is rather unsettling, particularly since I ordered and paid for one on Tuesday.
www.sanitarysteel.com correct?

I called them on Tuesday and they answered said they had several pumps left that were not yet spoken for. So I placed the order that day, have yet to try to contact them since.
Obviously I will be tomorrow.
I'll post any updates, please do the same.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They may be overwhelmed. Perhaps RHH knows what is going on.

jswick93

I received my pump from them at the beginning on the week. I've sent a few emails their way, and each one has been answered, other than the last one, which was still less than 24 hrs ago anyways. Sorry you're having trouble with them.

RHH

I've watched a video and read testimonial that this cmep pump "traps" a half to 3/4 lb of solvent in the heat exchanger which cannot, or at least cannot easily be purged out? Anybody have any experience or heard this?

I haven't had this issue but I will try to measure this. I really can't imagine there being that much solvent 'trapped' in a small air cooled heat exchanger. To be honest I'm not even sure there is enough volume in the heat exchanger to hold that much solvent.

Since I can't seem to get a response via email, phone or text to your company, I am having to resort to responding to you here.

You guys have had my money for a full week now. Although you claimed the parts are in stock and my shipping address is literally in the same county, I am still to see any items or tracking.

I am not sure what to make of this. No one answers the phone or replies to emails. I was told it was shipping Tuesday (didn't happen). All calls go through to google voice.

Hi tkmed,
I'm very sorry about the delay. Can you email Lydia@SS with the best number to call you at, and we will sort it out for you today. Worst case, we will hand deliver another package for you before close of business.

We have been so slammed with orders, that it's taking approximately 48 hours for shipments to go out. If you need your order sooner, please email us and we will do our best to accommodate you.

I received my pump from them at the beginning on the week. I've sent a few emails their way, and each one has been answered, other than the last one, which was still less than 24 hrs ago anyways. Sorry you're having trouble with them.

Replied last night!

APK47

I'm slightly aggravated that my order which was placed exactly one week ago still has yet to ship. I could understand if the pumps were not in stock, but I was specifically told they were in stock and would ship within 48 hrs.
Seven days have now transpired and when I called I was told that they were waiting for the power cords. Supposedly will ship tomorrow, but that won't put this pump in my hands till next week. Would have been nice to have known this info when I placed the original order, particularly when I called ahead just to see if they were in stock.
Not to mention, all of the pics I have seen show the power cord to be "hard-mounted" and not removable.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm slightly aggravated that my order which was placed exactly one week ago still has yet to ship. I could understand if the pumps were not in stock, but I was specifically told they were in stock and would ship within 48 hrs.
Seven days have now transpired and when I called I was told that they were waiting for the power cords. Supposedly will ship tomorrow, but that won't put this pump in my hands till next week. Would have been nice to have known this info when I placed the original order, particularly when I called ahead just to see if they were in stock.
Not to mention, all of the pics I have seen show the power cord to be "hard-mounted" and not removable.

Am I to understand that the "NEMA 7" pumps are arriving with detachable cords, or just without cords?

APK47

Tis what I assumed Gray Wolf. I let ya know as soon as I see this thing.
That said, I'll be slightly upset if this is the case, as I've got a bucket full of power cords sitting around.

I think the issue in the comment is NEMA 7 rated pumps should likely have factory installed cords. Certainly detachable cords would not meet the standard. Will be interesting to see how the cord attaches if it was not factory installed.

APK47

I gotcha, sorry misunderstood that. That said, I'm now left even more perplexed.
Am I to believe that these don't come wired from the factory?

Sunfire

Veteran
That just sounds inefficient. So they assemble it all, ship it out, then the reseller has to disassemble certain parts and attach the power cable, then put it all back together. Or maybe it doesnt get shipped out fully assembled? This sounds like a huge liability. Who's to say the reseller did everything properly. Who's to blame if a state legal lab blow's up from the pumps powercord? If I was a reseller I wouldn't even touch those pumps if that was the case. After the guy sued the gas station for selling him the butane he blew himself up with and killed his friend, who knows what will happen if the pump causes an explosion. Its like the McDonald's hot coffee in the lap thing all over again. I personally hope it was just a delay tactic and Isn't true. How did permacultuure word it, "chasing the Chinese dream"?

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think the issue in the comment is NEMA 7 rated pumps should likely have factory installed cords. Certainly detachable cords would not meet the standard. Will be interesting to see how the cord attaches if it was not factory installed.

Maybe it's detachable, but has a couple of screws that hold it in place, don't know why they'd go that route, but it's a possible explanation.

RHH

I apologize. Your pump shipped out today. The NEMA plug will ship express when it arrives. I was expecting them to come in today but they didn't.

That just sounds inefficient. So they assemble it all, ship it out, then the reseller has to disassemble certain parts and attach the power cable, then put it all back together. Or maybe it doesnt get shipped out fully assembled? This sounds like a huge liability. Who's to say the reseller did everything properly. Who's to blame if a state legal lab blow's up from the pumps powercord? If I was a reseller I wouldn't even touch those pumps if that was the case. After the guy sued the gas station for selling him the butane he blew himself up with and killed his friend, who knows what will happen if the pump causes an explosion. Its like the McDonald's hot coffee in the lap thing all over again. I personally hope it was just a delay tactic and Isn't true. How did permacultuure word it, "chasing the Chinese dream"?

Electrical equipment that is meant to be installed in a hazardous area is typically sealed at both ends to prevent any flammable vapor in the area from being exposed to an ignition source. That is how the CMEP-OL, and all electrical equipment near your extraction area, should be installed.

Resources:
http://ecmweb.com/code-basics/class-1-hazardous-locations

http://www.cooperindustries.com/con...lstations/eds_efs_series_controlstations.html

APK47

Thanks for the update RHH, I appreciate it. Am I led to believe it is a removable/pig tail plug, or do I have to wire it?

SS_L

Thanks for the update RHH, I appreciate it. Am I led to believe it is a removable/pig tail plug, or do I have to wire it?

Hi APK,
As noted above, you have to hardwire it. This would be a quick job for a qualified electrician.

NEC and NFPA will require explosion proof conduit runs direct to the pump. Considering that, direct hard wiring is the most practical.

jswick93

So I have tested my pump out now. Didnt get very far with mine. The hydrocarbon sniffer would start acting up sniffing within the pump and while left on top of the pump. It seems to be leaking at the very first compression fittings after the in/out at the least. It may as well be leaky in the compressor area, the way the sniffer sounded. Should the pump hold pressure within the pump and the in/out valves if closed off? The vacuum on mine goes away after the in/out are closed, I was trying to diagnose whats going on.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So I have tested my pump out now. Didnt get very far with mine. The hydrocarbon sniffer would start acting up sniffing within the pump and while left on top of the pump. It seems to be leaking at the very first compression fittings after the in/out at the least. It may as well be leaky in the compressor area, the way the sniffer sounded. Should the pump hold pressure within the pump and the in/out valves if closed off? The vacuum on mine goes away after the in/out are closed, I was trying to diagnose whats going on.

They will eventually leak back through the pump through the check valves, but they shouldn't be leaking to atmosphere. If you are getting a HC reading, you clearly have one.

We haven't experienced leaking on our test sled yet but good job checking witha a HC detector, which is a good practice not only for the pumps but the valve stems and hose connections, etc.

jswick93

Looking at the manual, it says to shut the outlet off and fill with gas from the inlet to a desired pressure to check for leaks. Is there a simpler way to do that other than just pulling it from the extractor as if operating normally?

Latest posts

Latest posts