What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BPA uptake by plants

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
I just can't take it anymore!

I just can't take it anymore!

This is certainly a good, valid concern. MY problem is EVERYTHING SUCKS! Our food is toxic, the air is toxic, the oceans are dying!The whole climactic system is fucked, etc,etc,etc! Ours' and the bodies of our fellow organisms are incredibly full of shit. I don't toss my beard trimmings in my compost, because I'M NOT "PURE" ENOUGH! I can't be seen going to my grow too often for fear of looking suspicious(narked or robbed, you pick). I make sure my garbage is sorted so "garden stuff" doesn't go in "regular" trash.Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah!

So, my point is; I do my best to avoid anything overtly reeking of plastic(garden hoses,etc.).

But, much more of this shit, and I'm gonna lose my fucking mind.:greenstars:

Doobie Nyce

upsetting the setup
ICMag Donor
Myco-remediation ...
Perhaps you can use food-grade containers to store you soil in. Then grow certain strains of shroomers to suck toxins out of your cooking soil before you use it.
See Mycellium running by Paul stamets.

Also maybe use bpa-free food grade plastic where ever you can.

hayday

Veteran
William DuPont and Randall Hearst were evil men and their footprint will be on this planet forever.
Not in a good way.These two businessmen abolished hemp with the help of greedy bankers

Someday in the future,we will have our hemp back and maybe then this wrong will be righted.

VonBudí

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ
Veteran
todays news

http://news.sky.com/story/973126/plastics-chemical-linked-to-narrow-arteries

Plastics Chemical Linked To Narrow Arteries

A new study adds weight to concerns that the widely-used chemical BPA may be adding to known risk factors for heart disease.

A chemical widely used in plastic food and drink containers may narrow coronary arteries, raising the risk of heart attacks, new research has suggested.

High levels of bisphenol-A (BPA) were seen significantly more often in the urine of patients with severe damage to the arteries supplying blood to the heart.

Scientists analysed data from 591 participants in a UK study looking at the causes of coronary artery disease (CAD).

In all, 385 patients had severely damaged arteries, while 86 were moderately affected and 120 were healthy.

BPA levels were significantly higher in those with severe CAD compared with individuals having normal coronary arteries.

A number of previous studies have already linked the chemical to an increased risk of heart disease. The new study suggests that the specific reason for the association may be narrowing of the arteries.

Lead researcher Professor David Melzer, from the University of Exeter, said: "Our latest study strengthens a growing body of work that suggests that BPA may be adding to known risk factors for heart disease. Full proof will be very difficult to get, as experiments on this in humans are not feasible."

BPA is used in refillable drinks containers, compact discs, plastic eating utensils and many other everyday products.

More than five million tonnes of BPA was manufactured globally in 2008, making it one of the most heavily produced chemicals by volume.

Concerns have previously been raised over the health risks of BPA to babies. In the past two years, the US and EU have banned the chemical from the manufacture of babies' bottles and other feeding equipment.

The new findings are published in the online journal Public Library of Science ONE.

Dr David Mosedale, who chairs the management committee for the Metabonomics and Genomics Coronary Artery Disease (MaGiCAD) study from which the data was drawn, said: "This ... demonstrates the utility of intensively characterised cohorts like MaGiCAD, and highlights the need for further research into the long-term effects of common environmental chemicals such as BPA."

popDJ

So, let me begin by saying BPA is not the only endocrine disrupting carcinogenic chemical given off by plastics. In fact, even BPA-free plastics leach the stuff. One can nit pick about soil amendments and growing containers all day, but the fact remains these are all unnatural growing methods. I like to think of the organic labeling as a strange misconception. It is a label acquired by those who can afford the licensing fees to be able to say they are beter than others. However, all life is organic plain and simple. Now, if you want to get back to nature and separate toxins you must learn how it is done. It is simple plant straight in the ground and use no amendments. You are going to end up with toxins no matter what, so why increase them? All one needs are deep rooted plants like comfery and alfalfa to bring up the mineral sought by azomite for free. Legumes like the alfalfa or cow pea support the nitrogen fixating bacteria that take nitrogen from air, 70% nitrogen mind you, putting it into the soil. Also, plant tree and bamboo perimeters to help filter the air around your grow. I also recommend what someone said previously abut myco-remediation. Fungi have the ability to create enzymes to break apart these complex "organic" molecules like BPA and return them to their basic atoms. The molecules they can not break down are usually separated away in so called bubbles of mycelium if recognized as harmful by fungi. Honestly, if you are against chemical industry and about growing you'll find there are alternatives in nature to plastic wrapped soil amendments. Also, good luck making compost tea with out your plastic hose in the water. I honestly wish I could find more on the subject of using algae and liquid mycelium cultures to produce natural aeration of a compost tea hydroponic system. I kid myself though as I live in a desert I am poor and relay upon plastic to store water unfortunately, but I have always despised the stuff. :tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts