What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

H3ad goes Coco

gregor_mendel

Thanks for the reply

Thanks for the reply

As far as yield 'losses'... I'd say 10%... but that's somewhat an illusion as well, since I'd much rather have 10% less of a clean burning top notch product, than a few extra ounces of a throat burning harshness...

I don't think 10% is much of hit, even for a pro.
I am often frustrated that only the first hit or two is tasty, then downhill. I MUST try this.

The reason I assumed deficiency:

Say we have a solution with micro in the coco. Then we water with bloom.
Aren't some of the micros washed out of the coco each time?
Or is minimal runoff the key here?

I have become a one bottle guy (flora nova), but running to waste as opposed to topping off means mixing only once per batch - not so bad.

It also occurs to me that if we can run 3 weeks without nutes, that I am wasting a lot of nutes.

gregor_mendel

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
gregor_mendel said:
It also occurs to me that if we can run 3 weeks without nutes, that I am wasting a lot of nutes.

gregor_mendel

:chin:

Exactly... Plant nutrition is wayy more about availability than concentration...
Less is indeed more...

Thing is with the 'washing out', that mineral salts in a polar solvent like water dissociate into the component ions... This happens much more readily in a weak solution, than in a concentrated one... Plants feed by exchanging ions from the root hair surface with ions suspended in the solution...
Coco has a high cation exchange rate, meaning the cations like Mg, Ca, K and others exchange with cations in the coco, 'attaching' temporarily to the medium... As you water in subsequent waterings, some of the cations in the new solution will exchange with the cations held by the coco, releasing them back into the solution...
Coupled with the diminished need for said nutrient as stretch slows and ripening accelerates, the timing works out right for a proper flush...

Also of note... GH flora nova has a shelf life of 1 year or so... GH flora 3-part has an indefinite shelf life... GH flora nova allows you to control concentration, but the GH flora 3-part allows you to control both concentration and ratio...

gregor_mendel

fewer visits to the store, bulk discount

fewer visits to the store, bulk discount

Also of note... GH flora nova has a shelf life of 1 year or so... GH flora 3-part has an indefinite shelf life...

That's a good argument to buy 6 gallon jugs.

How do you feed you mothers and vegging plants?
Forgive me if that's in here and I missed it.

gregor_mendel

G

Grat3fulh3ad said:
Arrived at the timing thru Trial and error, and collaboration with others I consider expert GH growers... Leaving the Micro in the mix any longer, I can tell it's still there in the smoke...

Properly flushing necessitates using up as much of the nutrient as possible that the plant has stored, so you have to time the removal of an element based on the time it takes the plant to metabolize all of it's stores...

As far as yield 'losses'... I'd say 10%... but that's somewhat an illusion as well, since I'd much rather have 10% less of a clean burning top notch product, than a few extra ounces of a throat burning harshness...

Does this imply that using GH nutrients without the reduction of micro will make your plants harsh and not clean burning even if you do a long 3 week flush?

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
z0r said:
Does this imply that using GH nutrients without the reduction of micro will make your plants harsh and not clean burning even if you do a long 3 week flush?
harsher, yes...

6.0 pH, gregor...

G

Grat3fulh3ad said:
I'm now running the 6 and 9 ratio up to the first third of 12/12, then 6 and 12 for 1 week, then just 9ml/gal bloom with no micro up until the last three weeks, which are just distilled water...

Are you still using the epsom salts with this new feeding schedule?

gregor_mendel

I can't stop asking questions.

I can't stop asking questions.

I've never heard of using distilled water before.
Do you choose this over RO for technical reasons, or because you have a distiller at home?

gregor

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
because the water coming out of my dehumidifier has lower ppm than r/o... It's been evaporated then condensed and collected, so I call it distilled... I guess I could really use my tap water, it's only 40 ppm, but the dehumidifier is already sitting there collecting clean (<10ppm) water for me...

gregor_mendel

no mothers?

no mothers?

Let me know if I'm too off topic here.
I have heard of this, but I don't understand how people do it.
My plant takes ten weeks to finish.
If I took a cutting as I begin flowering, it would root in two weeks.
If I veg it for eight weeks, it would be twelve feet tall.
I know I could slow this down, but I don't know about eight weeks.
How does this work? (I'm guessing low intensity lighting)

gregor

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
In my garden, the veg plants rotate into flower as they get big enough, independent of when the mother finishes...

gregor_mendel

You are a gentleman and a scholar

You are a gentleman and a scholar

helpful
informative
prompt

thank you so much

gregor

Last edited:
M

Mr. Nevermind

Grat3fulh3ad said:
that's all... keep the coco wet, may need a dome for the first day or two if you're in a dry area, and should be all good...

Don't forget to flush the coco first....

Well i would like to say thank you to Grat3ful for his help and tips with cloning in coco. I saw this thread and PM'd him and asked a few questions. I then filled up a tray that holds 6 rapid rooters with 100% coco coir ( botaincare ) and made sure it was wet. no hormone use just stuck the cuttings in the coco. i didnt keep dates to see how long they took but right around a week or so. Roots sticking out the bottoms now and ready for transplant.

No more rapid rooters for me! now 2 less things i need to buy, no rapid rooters and no hormone. Just keep using my coco. Thanks for the tips

Nevermind

Frog

I'm with you Mr Nevermind. Thanks to you again Grat3fulh3ad for getting me to make the jump.
First full run with coco coir is in and working.
First clones done in coco , and looking like at 9 days are about ready to show some roots!
The GH nutes seem to be doing great as of now . Only wished I'd have done the greenhouse batch in coco.
I always check back to see if you post anything new on this thread , so please keep us updated.

Thanks again for sharing your grow with us!!!

Peace

BlueHaze

Can you share with us your tips to cloning in coco coir. Did you use a humidity dome or left uncover. I have better results cloning in v/p 50, 50.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
BlueHaze said:
Can you share with us your tips to cloning in coco coir. Did you use a humidity dome or left uncover. I have better results cloning in v/p 50, 50.
Don't let it get too warm...
don't let it sit in water...
Use a humidity dome if only if they wilt...

I have great results with 50/50 coco/perlite and with 100% perlite as well... the key to cloning in any medium is to keep the heat down and don't oversaturate the medium... Also placing the fresh cuts in water for a few hours makes sure that every cell is as full of water as possible, which helps the plant not to wilt...

Latest posts

Latest posts