What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

vacuum pump oil mixed with shatter..

RGG

Hi Guys

a bit of help is needed if possible.

Last night i left my vac pump on purging what i had made that day, I came back this morning and my power had gone out and I'm left with a oiley mess in my vac chamber where the oil has bled in.

How can i make the best of a crap situation?

I could use ISO and re dilute the shatter in there and then start the process again.

Or maybe i could drain out and excess oil put some water in heat gently and hopefully the oil will separate but i don't know how much oil it would leave.

The slab is about 50-60g so i understand this is a serious mess i have got my self in

Any other ideas would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think your screwed.

Mixing oil w oil only results in oil so I’m GUESSING that that batch is going to the trash.

Hope someone has a better answer for you.

killa12345

you might be able to distill it out but as MJpassion said....if it were mine it be in the trash already.

What size chamber to you have that fits 60g in it. Damn I find fitting 80-100g in my oven hard....i need a few of these chambers for backup.

RGG

you might be able to distill it out but as MJpassion said....if it were mine it be in the trash already.

What size chamber to you have that fits 60g in it. Damn I find fitting 80-100g in my oven hard....i need a few of these chambers for backup.

its quite big 45cm round.

so annoying as I've cleaned it up what i can but there is a layer of oil covering the shatter

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
or check how much electric you have before you leave the yard for the night...

oh shit, even worse. a power cut would be beyond your control, but letting it run out....? lol, expensive lesson learned and hopefully remembered :D

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
You are pretty much shit out of luck for this batch, but in the future, you could get an "Normally Closed" Motorized Ball Valve that is plugged into the same power strip as your vacuum pump. If the ball valve has power, then it will be open. If the power goes out, then the electrical signal will stop, and then ball valve will automatically close, which will prevent any pump oil from making into your chamber.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...keywords=Motorized+Ball+Valve+normally+closed

gumby420

before I had ovens I had 2 ten gallon chambers. they'd each fit 100g slabs easy

WishDoctor

don't use it, vac pump oil is poisonous, toss that crap now. you can not separate it. you ae gonna get real sick if you consume it, ie liver kidney problems, they will get real sore you will start to barf after a week of consuming. dizzy spells then hospital cause you will just feel like dieing.
saw this in Boulder CO 4yrs ago not good

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This has been discussed fully previously. Using multiple filtering materials and techniques, maybe you could separate it out, but no one's claimed success.

Each brand vacuum pump oil is slightly different, here are the MSDS's of a couple,

https://www.testequipmentdepot.com/yellow-jacket/pdfs/vacuum-pump-oil_msds.pdf

https://www.mastercool.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/MSDS-Vacuum-Pump-Oil.pdf

The main component,

Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated heavy paraffinic
CAS number: 64742-54-7

https://www.shell.com/business-cust...s-petroleum-hydrotreated-heavy-paraffinic.pdf

It's basically non-toxic when orally consumed in small amounts. My suggestion is to decarb it and use it for your own personal edibles.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
I could use ISO and re dilute the shatter in there and then start the process again.

Check the solubility of the pump oil by shaking a couple drops in a test tube with IPA or better methanol. If it's insoluble you'd have a good initial separation then 50-70% alcohols will do better. NaOH or KOH might have applications but that means extra steps.

Latest posts

Latest posts